Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

H001V .17 HMR ?

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: H001V .17 HMR ?

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:21 am

Don't be too hard on that "kid" behind the counter. He was right in that the vast majority of folks who shoot a rifle in 17 HMR do, in fact, opt for a scope, simply because of the cartridge's accuracy potential out to 100 yards and even a bit beyond. Our 17 HMRs are all capable of doing under an inch at 100 yards with a good scope. If you choose to shoot a 17 HMR with open sights, you'd be in a tiny minority. Ojaileveraction is right about the 22 LR being a better match for iron sight shooting.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:04 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Don't be too hard on that "kid" behind the counter. He was right in that the vast majority of folks who shoot a rifle in 17 HMR do, in fact, opt for a scope, simply because of the cartridge's accuracy potential out to 100 yards and even a bit beyond. Our 17 HMRs are all capable of doing under an inch at 100 yards with a good scope. If you choose to shoot a 17 HMR with open sights, you'd be in a tiny minority. Ojaileveraction is right about the 22 LR being a better match for iron sight shooting.
Want to get as many opinions as possible before committing, as money does not come as easy as it used to. That being said, I, as always value your take on this NCG!! I know you have talked about some of this in the past, so thanks for re-visiting this topic for me. I started thinking about the realistic distances I will probably be using it for. I think I would be ok with iron sights since it comes with the Skinners. After all, I do pretty well with the peeps on my single shot Anschutz. Saving money by not needing a scope is a big plus for me.

Perhaps the kid knew more than I gave him credit for, just seemed odd because Henry installs those nice fiber optics on it right out of the box...Ojais' suggestion IS probably a better match for me because of the closer distances I will be shooting in very wooded mountain terrain. Was hoping to add your expert opinion to the great responses I've already received, so thanks again!!
I think I'm very close to a decision...don't mean to beat this topic to death... :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:16 pm

'The Enablers' would suggest getting both. But also understand the need to prioritize and be thrifty.
markiver54 wrote:
North Country Gal wrote:Don't be too hard on that "kid" behind the counter. He was right in that the vast majority of folks who shoot a rifle in 17 HMR do, in fact, opt for a scope, simply because of the cartridge's accuracy potential out to 100 yards and even a bit beyond. Our 17 HMRs are all capable of doing under an inch at 100 yards with a good scope. If you choose to shoot a 17 HMR with open sights, you'd be in a tiny minority. Ojaileveraction is right about the 22 LR being a better match for iron sight shooting.
Want to get as many opinions as possible before committing, as money does not come as easy as it used to. That being said, I, as always value your take on this NCG!! I know you have talked about some of this in the past, so thanks for re-visiting this topic for me. I started thinking about the realistic distances I will probably be using it for. I think I would be ok with iron sights since it comes with the Skinners. After all, I do pretty well with the peeps on my single shot Anschutz. Saving money by not needing a scope is a big plus for me.

Perhaps the kid knew more than I gave him credit for, just seemed odd because Henry installs those nice fiber optics on it right out of the box...Ojais' suggestion IS probably a better match for me because of the closer distances I will be shooting in very wooded mountain terrain. Was hoping to add your expert opinion to the great responses I've already received, so thanks again!!
I think I'm very close to a decision...don't mean to beat this topic to death... :D
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:12 pm

Mags wrote:.
'The Enablers' would suggest getting both. But also understand the need to prioritize and be thrifty.
markiver54 wrote:

Soo true...wish I could eliminate the decision process!.. :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry