Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New American eagle

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: New American eagle

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:13 pm

I think the look they were "shooting" for is scrimshaw. Yes the pun was intentional.I like the white and silver and most of the artwork. The eagle may look better in hand than in the photo. I have seen many items in hand that look much better than in print. I hope to run across one in the wild. But at the price they set it wouldn’t be following me home.
2 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:05 pm

Can see the attempt at that. Thing is it immediately creeped me out like the monochromatic goth art does.

For >me< these are the best: https://www.henryusa.com/news/introduci ... ot-series/
RetiredSeabee wrote:I think the look they were "shooting" for is scrimshaw. ...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BillyBoy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by BillyBoy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:31 am

I really like the new American Eagle, but sure would not want to sling it over my shoulder for s foray in the brush!

Henry has a long history of creating Tribute rifles, which are as much art as they are shooters. And there's a lot of HRA collectors among us- I saw a video of a guy who has every rifle ever made by HRA!

There's also a long history of finely crafted arms, like the beautiful Hawken's and Pennsylvania flintlocks, all in stunning Tiger Maple, inlayed with engraved brass embellishments. None of which had to be done, as they were still basically a weapon of survival in our pioneer days. But they did so as that was what was expected.

As a lifelong student of the History of Industry and Technology, I've always wondered why huge cast iron machines, like the famous Columbia Printing Press, were heavily decorated with carved and painted oak leaves, vines and flowers. But art and beauty was normal at the time (1860's - 1900), and pride of craftsmanship was paramount. Just like it is with Henry Repeating Arms. They not only continue a tradition, they do so with great skill and artistry, so often missing in contemporary design and manufacturing. As a product designer my work is often informed by our past traditions and pride of craftsmanship.

Now, my wish is that HRA would do a rifle or two that Honor the Native American Warrior! Many don't realize that the Warrior Tradition is paramount in the Native communities. Or that Native Americans have served in the United States military, like the Navajo Code Talkers,in many wars, as the largest single percentage of any population group. They deserve to be Honored...

Bill
4 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:58 am

I understand and agree with you Billy!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:55 am

I agree with you too. Ask Henry here: https://www.henryusa.com/henry-firearm-suggestion-box/
BillyBoy wrote:.... Now, my wish is that HRA would do a rifle or two that Honor the Native American Warrior! Many don't realize that the Warrior Tradition is paramount in the Native communities. Or that Native Americans have served in the United States military, like the Navajo Code Talkers,in many wars, as the largest single percentage of any population group. They deserve to be Honored...
Bill
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:01 am

Bill,

I liked your look at both HRA history, and what I call "art through old-world craftsmanship."

As I already mentioned in my thread comment, a look at Russian history was part of the reason I have an 1874 Russian top-break revolver. After I "discovered" this revolver, I did a lot of research on it before I bought it. The production design really caught my attention. There were a number of revolver functions I've not seen before, and now I enjoy having this rarely-seen revolver model.

And I liked the comment RSb made about seeing in the American Eagle the nowadays less-used art form called "scrimshaw."
RetiredSeabee wrote:I think the look they were "shooting" for is scrimshaw.
There are not an abundance of scrimshanders around today as there were during the height of whaling in the 19th century, although the art form is still practiced. Quite an interesting look at that skill, which RSb shared.

All in all, I appreciate the perspective that you've expressed, in particular as motivates your work being a product designer. Thanks for sharing...I enjoyed reading it.

PT7
BillyBoy wrote:I really like the new American Eagle, but sure would not want to sling it over my shoulder for s foray in the brush!

Henry has a long history of creating Tribute rifles, which are as much art as they are shooters. And there's a lot of HRA collectors among us- I saw a video of a guy who has every rifle ever made by HRA!

There's also a long history of finely crafted arms, like the beautiful Hawken's and Pennsylvania flintlocks, all in stunning Tiger Maple, inlayed with engraved brass embellishments. None of which had to be done, as they were still basically a weapon of survival in our pioneer days. But they did so as that was what was expected.

As a lifelong student of the History of Industry and Technology, I've always wondered why huge cast iron machines, like the famous Columbia Printing Press, were heavily decorated with carved and painted oak leaves, vines and flowers. But art and beauty was normal at the time (1860's - 1900), and pride of craftsmanship was paramount. Just like it is with Henry Repeating Arms. They not only continue a tradition, they do so with great skill and artistry, so often missing in contemporary design and manufacturing. As a product designer my work is often informed by our past traditions and pride of craftsmanship.

Now, my wish is that HRA would do a rifle or two that Honor the Native American Warrior! Many don't realize that the Warrior Tradition is paramount in the Native communities. Or that Native Americans have served in the United States military, like the Navajo Code Talkers,in many wars, as the largest single percentage of any population group. They deserve to be Honored...

Bill
0 x

~Пока~