Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

GB squirrels

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: GB squirrels

Post by markiver54 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:21 pm

That's great Mags, send them back this way...I'm gonna run out of targets,.. :lol:
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:31 pm

The squirrels here are pests and on private property the season doesn't apply and there is no bag limit. They seem to come and go in waves, but the Nikon Glassed CZ in the hands of Miss T keeps the population in check. They were raiding the coops and hutches on a regular basis, eating the grain and chewing on fixtures to get in. Sniper activity moves them to neighboring farms to reek havock for a while...
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:09 pm

Good for you BM...I hate those destructive suckers. They serve one purpose.... to practice our shooting!... :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:06 am

Nice shooting, and nice rifle for the job.
0 x
I'm a Ship that can't be Salvaged!

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:52 pm

Go get them tree rats. They keep chewing my cable lines.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:05 pm

... and Christmas light strings.
Bugs wrote:Go get them tree rats. They keep chewing my cable lines.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Fri May 24, 2019 10:19 am

markiver54 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:43 pm
Eastern grey ( tree rats ) very destructive. Have even chewed up our resin wicker furniture on the side porch.. :x I see them...they die! They really seem to serve no purpose other than a meal or planting Oak trees where you don't want them.
Squirrels, like most rats, chew not only for food, but to keep their teeth in check.
Rodents teeth grow continually throughout their lifetime.
If they don't have something to chew on to wear their teeth down, the teeth will grow to a point where they are actually a hindrance to eating.
They can starve to death if their teeth grow too long.

For this reason, many squirrels chew just to chew. This is why they attack things like patio furniture and electrical cables.
They are simply trying to keep their teeth worn down.

I help them out every chance I get.
I put a bullet (or pellet) in their skull and they don't have to worry about their teeth anymore.

Yes, I do eat them.
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:36 am

Mgderf wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:19 am
markiver54 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:43 pm
Eastern grey ( tree rats ) very destructive. Have even chewed up our resin wicker furniture on the side porch.. :x I see them...they die! They really seem to serve no purpose other than a meal or planting Oak trees where you don't want them.
Squirrels, like most rats, chew not only for food, but to keep their teeth in check.
Rodents teeth grow continually throughout their lifetime.
If they don't have something to chew on to wear their teeth down, the teeth will grow to a point where they are actually a hindrance to eating.
They can starve to death if their teeth grow too long.

For this reason, many squirrels chew just to chew. This is why they attack things like patio furniture and electrical cables.
They are simply trying to keep their teeth worn down.

I help them out every chance I get.
I put a bullet (or pellet) in their skull and they don't have to worry about their teeth anymore.

Yes, I do eat them.
Very considerate of you to help them out Mgderf :lol: I do my part whenever I can! We have some pricey patio furniture, one chair is ruined. :x
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri May 24, 2019 10:39 am

If you think Eastern Grey squirrels are aggressive and destructive, come on up to the north woods and watch our Red Squirrels. These are much smaller than the Eastern Greys, which we also have, but they make an Eastern Grey look tame by comparison. Have seen them chase off Grey squirrels twice their size and they are even more acrobatic than the Grey Squirrels. They're also fearless about getting into buildings and doing a lot of damage. We have to be very careful to keep doors shut on all our buildings. Our deer hunters hate them, because once they spot a hunter in a stand, they will sit and scold for hours. That said, we do enjoy watching the little rascals scamper about our yard and woods. Our north woods would not be the same without them.

0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri May 24, 2019 10:42 am

By the way, all our outdoor furniture is made of pressure treated wood (out of necessity in our climate), but the squirrels don't bother it at all. Probably the chemicals in it.
1 x