Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Skinner sights with perscription glasses

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Skinner sights with perscription glasses

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:49 pm

Mags wrote:.
...and Squatch's addition a few posts further concerning progressive lens...
Yes. I miss Squatch. He was such a wonderful member of our forum.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:36 pm

That he was.

I remember the tributes mid-last year.
CT_Shooter wrote:
Mags wrote:.
...and Squatch's addition a few posts further concerning progressive lens...
Yes. I miss Squatch. He was such a wonderful member of our forum.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:25 pm

I wear contacts. My left eye is set up for near vision (reading), and the right eye for distance. A minor astigmatism correction and minimal magnification.

I have very recent experience using the Skinner peep. This morning I bagged a deer and a coyote at 40-50 yards. Neither shot was perfect, but both were effective.

Using both eyes worked to get the sight picture, and then focusing on the front sight was pretty easy. I find the peep sight to be very practical.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:01 pm

um yes, contacts allow one to move their eyeballs without moving one's head.
Cofisher wrote:I wear contacts. My left eye is set up for near vision (reading), and the right eye for distance. A minor astigmatism correction and minimal magnification.

I have very recent experience using the Skinner peep. This morning I bagged a deer and a coyote at 40-50 yards. Neither shot was perfect, but both were effective.

Using both eyes worked to get the sight picture, and then focusing on the front sight was pretty easy. I find the peep sight to be very practical.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:48 am

My shooting is centered around Club Silhouette matches.
Lever action silhouette rules don't allow for scopes. I can do pretty good seeing my front sight perfectly and have a fuzzy target. Guess I've gotten used to it and don't even think about it.
I only know how bad my eye are because I have not been able to buy strong enough readers for many years. My last eye doc did a great job taking a care of my astigmatism.
Get time to see him again

For planned hunting I'd use a scope. And all my "high powered" rifles are scoped.
1 x
Pax at Justitia

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:12 am

I, too, have some issues using open sights. I've shot with scoped rifles since I was 19 (almost "gulp" f-f-fifty years ;) ) Anyway, even with scopes I've fought a bit with progressive lens glasses. I solved it by getting a set with bigger lenses, with a minimal bifocal and thereby a bigger distance "sweet spot", so I don't have to hunt around for clear focus; I find myself wearing them a lot. I can't say how well this will work with my ghost ring set up 30 30, yet, 'cause I only shot it a few times, at 100 yards, and at a poor target for open sights at that distance (the range was too busy to move, just before deer season), but, I was on the paper, the group was nothing to brag about, though. I need more practice this spring :) .
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:43 pm

In the spring or sooner if you have the opportunity, I'd like to hear more about it.
Yornoc3 wrote:I, too, have some issues using open sights. ... Anyway, even with scopes I've fought a bit with progressive lens glasses. I solved it by getting a set with bigger lenses, with a minimal bifocal and thereby a bigger distance "sweet spot", so I don't have to hunt around for clear focus; ... I can't say how well this will work with my ghost ring set up 30 30, yet, 'cause I only shot it a few times, at 100 yards, and at a poor target for open sights at that distance ... I need more practice this spring :) .
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:57 pm

Mags wrote:I skipped trying Skinner sights. I have progressive lens. With buckhorn I found it very challenging to get the target, front and rear sights all aligned in the correct part of the progressive lens. My eye focus kept changing while doing so and the barrel would wander off POA. Could never get sights and target in good enough focus to shoot with any accuracy. Figured it would likely be the same with Skinner sights, so skipped them and went with a scope.
Same here Mags. Said oh well and went to the scope. Came to grips with age and reality. ;)
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry