Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry golden boy 22lR H004

oneguy720
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Henry golden boy 22lR H004

Post by oneguy720 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:17 am

I just bought this gun after Christmas and took it to the range with CCI LR 30 GRAIN and CCI SHORTS 29 GRAIN. The gun was having trouble feeding the shorts ,pushing the but up and the tip down and jamming instead of following the slope. Any advice of what to do or what ammo to shoot if i want to use shorts in the rifle?
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Henry golden boy 22lR H004

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:24 am

You might solve the problem by trying a different brand, but you might not, given that the 29 grain 22 Short load is standard for the 22 Short. I'd suggest a call to Henry to see what they say.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:45 am

oneguy720 wrote:I just bought this gun after Christmas and took it to the range with CCI LR 30 GRAIN and CCI SHORTS 29 GRAIN. The gun was having trouble feeding the shorts ,pushing the but up and the tip down and jamming instead of following the slope. Any advice of what to do or what ammo to shoot if i want to use shorts in the rifle?
Welcome to the forum from CT. North Country Gal's advice to call Henry CS is a good one. Describe the issue; they will take care of you.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:59 am

The gun was having trouble feeding the shorts ,pushing the but up and the tip down and jamming instead of following the slope. Any advice of what to do or what ammo to shoot if i want to use shorts in the rifle?
Welcome to the forum form Wickiup Junction, Oregon.
Did you perform any cleaning before you shot it? If not I would start there - up to and including a good blow out of the action with compressed air prior to cleaning. A lot of firearm problems (especially new) can be solved with a good cleaning and lube - but light on the lube!. The smallest bit of leftover metal or other debris can give you fits!
If after cleaning and it still has problems with the shorts stick with LRs for a while until things smooth out and then try the shorts again.
Be patient! If it is cycling LRs OK I'll bet the shorts won't be far behind.
My BBB .357 was hanging up with .357 ammo - but would cycle .38 Specials just fine. I'll admit I violated my own recommendation by NOT cleaning before shooting it but it cleared up quickly.
Last edited by Mistered on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:04 pm

Welcome to the forum.

When you cycle the lever do it briskly and at the forward position it should bump with a little force. That bump sets the next round up correctly. Then move the lever back briskly.

Not all ammo requires this but when you are having ammo cycling problems it can cure the problem. I have found shorts and CB’s often needs the bump.

This is just a suggestion because I don’t know how much experience you have. If you are a seasoned shooter disregard because you may have other problems.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:08 pm

Mistered wrote:
The smallest bit of leftover metal or other debris can give you fits!.
Isn’t that the truth!
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:19 pm

Isn’t that the truth!
Yes it is - and the worst example I experienced was when i got my Winchester 1966 100 Year Commemorative.
Along with other cycling issues it was just 'rough'.
I finally stripped it down and discovered the gold wash used for plating the receiver had bits of 'flashing' left on all the sharp edges of the inside of the receiver. With a dental scraper I was able to remove all the flashing leaving clean and smooth bearing surfaces on the inside of the receiver and smoothed things up considerably!.
OH, FWIW a few dental tools such as picks, probes and scrapers are really handy when performing any gun cleaning or work when you need to get into a nook or crannie to remove or clean something.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:04 pm

Welcome to the forum from the TV Oregon!
oneguy720 wrote:...just bought this gun after Christmas
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234