Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Front Sight Hood Loose

Pilsner
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Front Sight Hood Loose

Post by Pilsner » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 am

After removing my front sight hood to install a fiber optic sight, the hood is now loose, wants to slide off. Before I get stupid with it, just wanted to see if there is a preferred way to secure it better? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Henry H001 .22LR / Hiviz Front/Rear
Henry H006MR .357 / SeeAll Sight
Rossi Ranch Hand .45 LC / Marbles Bullseye Sights
Ruger 10-22 TD / Sig Romeo5
Ruger American Bolt .22 / Burris AR/22 Scope (Great Scope)

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Front Sight Hood Loose

Post by Mags » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:10 am

Try a drop of blue loctite.
Pilsner wrote:After removing my front sight hood to install a fiber optic sight, the hood is now loose, wants to slide off. Before I get stupid with it, just wanted to see if there is a preferred way to secure it better? Thanks.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:56 am

does the base of the hood slide into grooves cut into the front sight .. :?: .. that is the way the one works on our Winchester Model 94 .... it is held in place by spring tension from the design of the hood .... over the years I've occasionally squeezed the bottom edges together a bit to increase tension .... you have to be careful or you will change the hood's shape .... a few years ago I put a drop of super glue in the groove on each side ... it held for a good while
2 x

Pilsner
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Pilsner » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:16 pm

JEBar wrote:does the base of the hood slide into grooves cut into the front sight .. :?: .. that is the way the one works on our Winchester Model 94 .... it is held in place by spring tension from the design of the hood .... over the years I've occasionally squeezed the bottom edges together a bit to increase tension .... you have to be careful or you will change the hood's shape .... a few years ago I put a drop of super glue in the groove on each side ... it held for a good while
Mags wrote:.
Try a drop of blue loctite.
Pilsner wrote:After removing my front sight hood to install a fiber optic sight, the hood is now loose, wants to slide off. Before I get stupid with it, just wanted to see if there is a preferred way to secure it better? Thanks.
Thanks, maybe I’ll try a combo of both suggestions. Just wanted to see what my options are. The fiber optic needs the protection of the hood. Appreciate it!
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:10 pm

That is the hood that came with the HiViz, correct?

Mine broke not long after I mounted it. My Walther Terrus came without a hood, just the sight. Those tubes are a lot tougher than you would think, but yeah it's nice to have the hood. Also, mine was never as tight (hood) as the original.
1 x

Pilsner
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Pilsner » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Henry88 wrote:That is the hood that came with the HiViz, correct?

Mine broke not long after I mounted it. My Walther Terrus came without a hood, just the sight. Those tubes are a lot tougher than you would think, but yeah it's nice to have the hood. Also, mine was never as tight (hood) as the original.
You Know I’m not sure I need to go back and look at the bag I packed all that up in. Thanks.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:02 pm

The one in the pic is definitely the HiViz hood. You can tell by that "texas stadium" opening in the top. In fact mine broke when it hit on that opened area which is actually I weak spot.

But here is the way they ship the Terrus (no hood) and think of all those pistols that don't have hoods. You don't hear of those tubes falling out.

The only thing I like about the hoods is I think they look cool :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:39 pm

All my hoods come off when I get them home.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:33 pm

cool they do look.
Henry88 wrote:The one in the pic is definitely the HiViz hood. You can tell by that "texas stadium" opening in the top. In fact mine broke when it hit on that opened area which is actually I weak spot.

But here is the way they ship the Terrus (no hood) and think of all those pistols that don't have hoods. You don't hear of those tubes falling out.

The only thing I like about the hoods is I think they look cool :)
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234