Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Skinner peep on GB

badrat55
Wrangler
United States of America

Skinner peep on GB

Post by badrat55 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:56 am

Anyone have any experience with the dovetail mount?
Work with the factory front sight?
0 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Skinner peep on GB

Post by jstanfield103 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:14 am

I have a Goldenboy with the dovetail mount on it. At 25 yards I had to modify it so the peep would be low enough. So for 25 yards it will probably need a Skinner front sight that is a little taller. If I had it to do over again I would put a front sight on mine instead of modifying the rear peep.
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:15 am

I installed one on my Golden Boy 22LR and had no problems with it at close range. I really didn’t test it farther than 15-20 yards. I put the factory sight back on because I felt I was more accurate with it. It’s a trade off for me. The Skinner peep looks great and makes it easier to pick up the front sight. The factory rear sight is more precise (when going for small groups). I’m sure this will all vary from person to person. I will say that the Skinner peep came with good directions and was very easy to install. I’d recommend having a small triangular blade file and a brass punch if you plan on installing it yourself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

badrat55
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by badrat55 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:27 am

Man it looks great on there!
Did it come with different apertures?
I made a makeshift peep from a .22 short casing and made it fit in the buckhorn.
Just to see if I would like a peep before I commit to buying one, I definitely will be picking one up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:54 am

Totally agree with the looks of that brass peep on your GB, Deano.....very sharp-looking mod. :)
deano5150 wrote:I installed one on my Golden Boy 22LR --- The Skinner peep looks great and makes it easier to pick up the front sight.
2 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:06 pm

First time I've seen someone use a .22 casing and make a rear peep. That actually looks pretty cool 8-) to me.

Did you put your DIY peep through its paces? What is your aperture size? How is your sight acquisition using the bullet casing? And did it line up okay with your front sight? It looks like windage & elevation adjust should work okay, too.

Would be interesting to learn how the rifle shoots for you now with your bullet-peep-sight mod. Good job by its looks.
PT7
badrat55 wrote: I made a makeshift peep from a .22 short casing and made it fit in the buckhorn.
Just to see if I would like a peep before I commit to buying one.
2 x

~Пока~

badrat55
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by badrat55 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks PT7!
It works great!
With the sight on the middle notch of the ramp it's dead on at 25yds, haven't had a chance to try any further out.
The aperture is 2mm at the moment, which is a bit large for my taste, gonna make a few more in different sizes and fine tune it.
I can focus on the sights far better now and get on target instantly.
Groups of 10 shots, at 25yds were no larger than a nickel, I am very pleased and think that a smaller aperture will suit me even better
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:39 pm

deano5150

very nice .... we really like our Matrix ... I remove the rear support and use it as a front rest when shooting from a bench .... its light weight and surprisingly sturdy
1 x

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:36 am

badrat55 wrote:Man it looks great on there!
Did it come with different apertures?
I made a makeshift peep from a .22 short casing and made it fit in the buckhorn.
Just to see if I would like a peep before I commit to buying one, I definitely will be picking one up
If I remember correctly it only came with one aperture. I ended up buying a larger aperture and the screws to cover the screw holes under the rear sight. I recommend buying them all at once to save shipping.

Your makeshift peep looks really good! Ingenuity at work! You’ve got skills!
1 x