Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bipod on an H001T or H001M

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Bipod on an H001T or H001M

Post by henry22 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:50 pm

I couldn't resist doing this. Some guys at my range where shooing Savage 22's, CZ's etc, all with bipods. I thought, "Why not install a sling stud into the underside of the forend). So a local guy who does some smith work drill into the underside of my forend, and ground off a few threads of the stud to make sure it wouldn't go through the forend and into the magazine tube.
Sling Stud in H001T.JPG
Then I bought a Caldwell XLA fixed Bipod, 6-9"
H001T-22LR BiPod 1.JPG

I know it looks kind of dorky, but after setting it up at my kitchen table with a rear rest bag, and sighting out the front door window - it's amazing. It's so incredibly stable, NOTHING moves, it's dead still.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Bipod on an H001T or H001M

Post by PT7 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:03 pm

Definitely a first for me to see an H001 on a bipod. :shock:
0 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:06 pm

That's quite the set-up, scope included (Leo of some sort, it looks like). Do you competitively shoot with it?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

TN Mark
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by TN Mark » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Thank you henry22, I'm looking to do the same to my 22.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:29 am

I've used bipod rigs, both at the bench and in the field and liked shooting off them, though a bipod rig can be a hassle to carry around in some situations. Not all, though. A small bench bipod is much easier to take to the shooting bench that a sturdy shooting rest and a heavy sand bag or two. :) Anyway. I think you'll enjoy shooting off one, too. Let us know.

The one issue you'll likely encounter is that a gun with a bipod usually shoots to a different POI than the same gun without the tripod. That may or may not be an issue for you and your shooting, but since I shoot back and forth from a variety of shooting positions, I don't use a bipod all that much. As for accuracy, I can usually shoot better groups off a rest than a bipod, but the bipod is still plenty accurate and the convenience it offers, once setup, is a plus.

All in all, an interesting experiment. Do let us know how it works for you.
2 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:44 pm

I wanted to hate it but does not look half bad.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:39 am

I'm going to have to wait until late April - early May to let you know how it works out. There's snow all over now, and it's way too cold to go shooting. I just got tired of trying different front rests. When I got my first rifle - the H001M, I had a blast, shooting off of a plastic toolbox (weighted with tools inside) and a few heavy winter mitts on top for cushioning, but nowhere near as accurate as it is now from using a real rest.

Then I upgraded to this cheap combo: https://byallen.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 1600-2.jpg They're absolute crap to be honest. My Henry's rear stock would wobble and cant in the rear bag, the front bag was completely useless, since the Henry 22's forends are so narrow. But that rear bag works really well on the CZ 455.

Then I tried the Caldwell Rock Junior rest, MUCH better, especially once I used tie rods around the top of the ears and frame to cinch the bag to the platform, and wrapped an old suede mitt over the ears and middle portion with rubber bands for more friction, and to narrow the channel a bit more.
Rock Jr with sude mitt.JPG
Those stupid velcro straps are useless because the bag will always slide around on the flat platform, and the genius who designed the thing never thought to use a recessed flush mounted screw to secure the top platform to the threaded post. The rounded head of the screw digs into the material on the underside of the front bag, over time, wearing the fiber down.

Now with the bipod attached to the Henry, the cheap Allen rear rest is amazing. The ears are exceptionally wide, and taller than a Caldwell rear bag, allowing you to bury your chin into the left ear, while resting your right check on the rifle comb - nothing moves, dead still.
Allen bag with suede mitt 2.JPG

Basic range setup:
H001T rested 1.JPG

But, the rear bag with the mitt, using the bipod is even better — DEAD still. I'm always having to re-adjust with the Caldwell Rock Jr, even with the mitt. There's always a bit of cant, or having to lean into the rifle, simply because the forend is so narrow.
SEE:
Front Rest from REAR.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:26 am

I know what you're up against with the snow and cold. Our range trips get less and less frequent as winter sets in (already has for us) and when we do venture out to shoot, sessions are short. By the end of winter, we'll have several feet of snow on the ground. Just getting out to post targets at 50 yards and 100 yards can be treacherous. Ah, life in the north country.

I do admire the research and trial and error you've done with all those rests. Too many shooters don't bother. A proper rest for the rifle you're shooting is a big part of getting small groups from the bench. I see far too many shooters at our range who spend big bucks on a rifle and scope and then try shooting their rigs off of a crummy rest or who are clueless about how to properly use a rest and then they wonder why their expensive rig won't shoot as advertised.

Different rests and different rest techniques for different types of guns is the norm for me. Again, like the attention you're giving this issue. Well, done.
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:51 am

Thanks NCG. I just really LOVE shooting. It's practically all I want to do. I don't shoot competition, I might consider it with a few of the guys at my range. One guy is putting together a small group of serious and semi-serious shooters. But really, I just loving competing with myself, and to be honest, it's all about being outside, and in the open air, just plinking at smaller and smaller things. When I leave the range, I always feel so relaxed, and it's very quite in my head during and after. It's almost meditative.

I've migrated to peanuts in the shell, spike vertically on the top of the target board, onto toothpicks. I'm hitting those with the H001T no problem, and I just find that the better rested your rifle is, how relaxed you feel on the bench table, and having a really easy trigger pull is so important, if you want to plink accurately.

This rest and bipod business is absurd. I can't believe that I paid $67.99 CDN for that Caldwell XLA "FIXED" model, (non-pivoting). It'll work fine, it's stable enough, and I likely won't ever extend the legs past the second notch, I'll just ride the rear bag. But, it's astounding how much they cost for what they're made of, and what they do.

That BT10-LW17 V8 Atlas Bipod - My God! $279 U.S! But, it's probably the last one you'd ever buy. I just wanted something simple, that's light, that I can remove. The sheer weight of that Caldwell Rock Jr, ammo case, rear bag rest, stapler, carpet roll, etc in my range case (old suitcase) is unreal. I want less stuff to bring, a quicker setup, and stability.

I'm not plugging any particular company for bi-pods, but I almost pulled the plug on one of these:
https://leapers.com/index.php?act=listp ... =l&sortby=
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

RE: TN Mark

Post by henry22 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:33 pm

Mark, one thing to make sure of in advance, is to have your smith measure the thickness of the forend. By that I mean the thickness from the belly of the forend, (where the metal magazine lies into the belly of the forend) to the underside of the forend about 1 inch behind the barrel band.

You'll likely need to have your smith grind off some length of the forend screw:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX425_.jpg
See the screw on the far left? Even that shorter screw sill might need to be shortened. I think if you have 3 threads into the forend, that's plenty. Mine's about 3 threads deep, and it's solid as a rock.

You also have to make sure the drilled pilot hole isn't too close to the forend band. Here's another guy who did it on you tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-KlnMhnKcs hit pause on the timeline: 00:34 seconds. See how close the stud is towards the barrel band?

Ideally, it should be installed a bit further back, because the thickness of the forend increases slightly from the barrel band - to the receiver. I've even considered making a new forend, based on the stock H001T forend, a hair longer, and definitely wider and thicker - much like the forend on the BL-22's: https://www.customshopinc.com/wp-conten ... -SM-28.jpg It's got more of a fish belly shape, and they're wider as well, something I feel Henry should have done on the 22 models, bigger wider forends.
0 x