Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Small Game Carbine Questions

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Small Game Carbine Questions

Post by Bugs » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:36 am

I now have 2 Henry's. A Big Boy Steel 38/.357 which I absolutely love. Gun shoulders well, I can rapidly fire the rifle, and it is dead nuts accurate. The buckhorn sight works well for me. I may get the CCH version I like it so much. Wanted to try the .22 small game carbine with the Skinner Peeps. Couple of things I'm wondering I can change:
1. The smooth butt plate slides around (we wear T-shirts here in SW FL) making quick follow shots a pain as I am finding myself continually having to re-position the rifle. The rubber butt plate/cover on the Big Boy just locks the rifle in place and it stays put.
2. That Skinner Peep sure is nice but not sure I like it so far back on the rifle. I like the position of the buckhorn amidships of the rifle as it makes for very quick sight acquisition and follow up shots. Not sure if the length of pull is different between these 2 rifles but I find myself constantly trying to reposition my head to get a decent sight picture.

Bottom line is in it's current state the gun just does not seem to fit me well. The Big Boy fits like it was custom made for me. Any mods I can do to improve function with the SGC; I kinda like it but it bugs me that I have to fight with it to get it to shoot well. :(
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Small Game Carbine Questions

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:43 am

Maybe the Frontier would fit you better.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:54 am

I’ll measure them both as I am about to pack up my BBS .357 and my SGC to head out white tail hunting for the week. If you call Henry and ask Deana for a rubber but pad for your .22 they will send you one. The SGC does not have a rear dovetail, so if you prefer a barrel mounted peep, that will be a no go.

Stand by for the measure ...
1 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:59 pm

Length of pull is 3/8” shorter on the .22 with standard plate, but the wood is a bit longer, so if you add a thicker rubber pad you will end up a little longer than the .357
1 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Another thought here is I think it was Bandit1250 put a piece of that black step grip on his butt plate. It looked good how he did it and fixed the same issue for him.

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5435
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:12 pm

Whether or not the Skinner Peep works for you dovetailed on the barrel (where the buckhorn is) or back on the receiver will largely be dictated by your eyes. For me (and most, I believe), the Skinner works great when mounted on the receiver, but the reason I got it is that the buckhorn didn't work for me at all.

I have the SGC and the 357 BBS and reach/length/fit is natural on both. For me, it's more about weight/heft and the way it's distributed over the length of the rifle, and the octagon barrel on the SGC is what makes this work, without being too "front heavy," if that makes sense. The shorter length of the carbine barrel is the magical formula, in my opinion.

Bandit's no-slip buttstock mod is pure genius.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:52 pm

As said,
Skateboard tape is the cure for the Butt pad. As far as the rear peep sight on that rifle there is no dovetail cut at all for the rear sight (which does not come on that rifle). So you are stuck with the peep where it is.
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:05 pm

I have the SGC model H001TLP, and it's the only Henry rifle I can shoot because of the receiver-mounted peep sight. That is because of my eyes' challenges. Your preferences for the buckhorn sound great. And because of that, you have many Henry rifle choices to consider.

I think the slipping smooth butt plate could effectively be remedied by Bandit's DIY fix, and I agree with Esquared's assessment of "pure genius." Sure is a simple and inexpensive fix.

Redthies was spot on about mounting a barrel sight on the SGC. No can do. It would be spendy to have a dovetail slot cut into your octagon barrel. Don't know if Henry would be willing to do that for you....you might check with them. That would eliminate the ghost-ring peep. If that could be done, you'd have a unique SGC that would get rid of the "battle" you're having trying to shoot it well.

SH suggested a different model Henry to consider. Definitely you have Henry options. I think the Lever Carbine .22LR model H001L might be the closest to the design of the SGC since it carries a 16.125" barrel. However, its barrel is round, not octagon, and the front sight is a hooded blade. (For myself, I'd actually prefer the blade on my SGC rather than the bronze bead). But the other difference from the SGC model is how extraordinarily well-balanced the SGC is to handle. It weighs 1.25 lbs. more than the H001L. The H001L may not provide such good handling as the well-balanced SGC.

Looking forward to what you do to resolve your Qs. Best as you move ahead.
PT7
Bugs wrote:I now have 2 Henry's. A Big Boy Steel 38/.357 which I absolutely love. Gun shoulders well, I can rapidly fire the rifle, and it is dead nuts accurate. The buckhorn sight works well for me. I may get the CCH version I like it so much. Wanted to try the .22 small game carbine with the Skinner Peeps. Couple of things I'm wondering I can change:
1. The smooth butt plate slides around (we wear T-shirts here in SW FL) making quick follow shots a pain as I am finding myself continually having to re-position the rifle. The rubber butt plate/cover on the Big Boy just locks the rifle in place and it stays put.
2. That Skinner Peep sure is nice but not sure I like it so far back on the rifle. I like the position of the buckhorn amidships of the rifle as it makes for very quick sight acquisition and follow up shots. Not sure if the length of pull is different between these 2 rifles but I find myself constantly trying to reposition my head to get a decent sight picture.

Bottom line is in it's current state the gun just does not seem to fit me well. The Big Boy fits like it was custom made for me. Any mods I can do to improve function with the SGC; I kinda like it but it bugs me that I have to fight with it to get it to shoot well. :(
0 x

~Пока~

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:43 pm

Redthies wrote:Length of pull is 3/8” shorter on the .22 with standard plate, but the wood is a bit longer, so if you add a thicker rubber pad you will end up a little longer than the .357
Thanks I think I may try this first as I think the little bit of length may provide an improvement too. If that don't work skateboard tape it is. That slippery butt plate is driving me nuts. Thanks for all the replies. Obviously have not been here in a while, I have been dealing with aging parents and it has been interesting to say the least.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:26 pm

Having to reposition your head can be a symptom of the receiver mounted sight too close to your face. Adding a butt pad might help with slippage and body fit. A one inch pad moves the sight about 1 inch further away from your face.

Another option, might be to mount a cantilevered scope rail on the receiver. One that overhangs the barrel some. Then mount a peep site on the rail as far down the rail as possible. http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/Prod ... Sight.aspx I don't own an SGC so look for SGC owners to weigh in on this idea.
Bugs wrote:... 2. That Skinner Peep sure is nice but not sure I like it so far back on the rifle. I like the position of the buckhorn amidships ....... I find myself constantly trying to reposition my head to get a decent sight picture.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234