Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My new rimfire, and it ain't a Henry

BillyBoy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

My new rimfire, and it ain't a Henry

Post by BillyBoy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:37 am

Hi all!

Well, my little Golden Boy Carbine has been pestering me for a playmate, so I gave in and got her a Uberti Cattleman 22LR 12 shot pistol! I realize it's not a Henry, but HRA doesn't make a pistol line. Yet! But next up is a Henry lever .410...

They go great together, shoot the same ammo (CCI Mini Mag) and is fun to boot! Uberti's quality is equal to Henry, very slick and smooth, finish is great, and shoots like a dream. I plan to tune the action with a set of Wolfe replacement springs, due likely tomorrow, and to refinish the red varnished grip to a more natural dark walnut. I can see the grain pattern through the varnish, and I think it will work out well.

I designed and crafted a modified Mexican Loop holster and belt, so now I can relive my "Roy Rogers" rig back when I was about six, in Montana. "Big Boys and their Toys!" The holster hangs lower than a traditional Mexican Loop, below the belt. I used a separate loop since the holster skirt was stitched to the pocket, rather than the traditional "slit" integral loops(s) usually used. And of course the cartridge loops were sized to a 22 LR.

I did a "Wet Last" on the holster, by wrapping the pistol in a freezer bag, taping it up, soaking the pocket in hot water for eight seconds, and stuffing the gun in. Then I hand molded the now flaccid leather to the gun, including a gentle curve at the opening, let it dry for a few hours, and then removed the gun and hung the holster in the boiler room overnight to dry and harden.

I've had the solid silver Conchos for over 50 years, and this is a good place for them. I have five more I'm going to use on my hatband, now on the workbench.

A blast, pun intended! Now off to the BLM range for some serious playtime with the kids!

Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BillyBoy on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
8 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: My new rimfire, and it ain't a Henry

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:42 am

I didn’t realize they made the Cattleman in a 12 shot. I have it in a six shot and it matches my Classic. Nice pictures!
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:04 am

Very nice photos of your leather and guns. And those 50-year-old Conchos really add a lot to your holster & belt craftsmanship.

I just bought a Uberti .22LR Stallion SA Six-Gun, and can't wait to try it out. No holster yet, but considering it. I also remember the "Roy Rogers" rig from way back when. But nothing like the real thing, right?

Congrats on your new Cattleman revolver. Sharp-looking pair you have! :)
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:24 am

Love the pics. Well done. Really brings out the western feel of those fine guns.
0 x

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:35 pm

Wow a 12 shot wheel gun. Are these new? Never knew they existed.
1 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:55 pm

The holster has a lot of character, looks like something Wyatt Earp would wear
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:22 pm

To answer one posters question they have been out since 2015. Hickok 45 did a review on them. I also own one and I love it. Ive had it since July and have shot it quite a bit. I really like the 12 shot cylinder. To the OP nice holster I like it a lot. Whats the brand name on it and where did you get it? Al
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BillyBoy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by BillyBoy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:18 pm

I can load both of them on Sunday and shoot for two weeks. Well, make that two minutes!

I designed and made the holster and belt. Leatherwork is a lot of fun and is a much needed break from my product design (medical devices, 45 years now) and, with the wet molding fits like a champ. Planning to do another holster to the same design, but fully carved, lined in pigskin and finished in a natural light golden tan.

Bill
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:27 pm

Outstanding craftsmanship all the way around, congrats on a fine looking set-up! Look forward to seeing the grips when you get them redone.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing the fine photos, too!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:33 pm

That's even better when one has those kind of talents. Im sure its even more satisfying to know you made it. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55