Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Magazine Tube 'O' ring

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Magazine Tube 'O' ring

Post by Lyman » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:34 pm

After I purchased the O Rings for my .22 I found a whole O Ring set in my shed. It has all the common sizes in it. The tag on it says it came from Harbor Freight. My CRS was kicking in and I forgot It was even there.
0 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:52 pm

ESquared wrote:I believe it's a function of the end of the 22 plunger being kind of "spindly," and there's not much knurled metal to hold it in place.
given the fact that it seems most don't have an issue, it sounds like a defective tube .... if that is the case, my bet is Henry would proved a new one
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:47 pm

JEBar wrote:I wonder what is causing the O-rings to come off .. :?: .. is it a problem with rifles other 22's .... while it most certainly could change at a moment's notice, so far, I've never had one come off of our 357 Mag, 44 Mag, or 45-70
Mine came off the .22 at least 3x just fiddling with the gun at home. Once was just taking it out of the case. I went to my local parts store with the mag tube and got 5 of a size that was a bit snugger than what Henry uses. Haven’t lost one since. My .357 seems to have a better fitting o-ring.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:07 pm

Earlier loose ring posts from the end of July.
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... hilit=ring
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:16 pm

The are easy to find on the ground around other Henry shooters. Picked up three at the regional Lever Gun Match in Ok City, and found one on my kitchen floor. I know who the one in my kitchen belongs to, the others were unclaimed.

What purpose does the O-ring serve?

Michael
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:23 pm

What purpose does the O-ring serve?
Basically it’s a ‘buffer’ between the inner and outer tube to provide sort of a compression fit so the inner tube lock pin stays tight in the slot.
Problem is O - rings are designed to compress and take a ‘set’ in the sealing application they are used for and loose their elasticity over time so eventually we all will have to replace them.
I have seen 0 - rings used for other similar, non - sealing applications and they too eventually dried out and needed to be replaced.
1 x

willymakit
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by willymakit » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:42 pm

Mc Master Carr sells "o-rings" made of square stock. this would provide a more consistent contact with the knurled end piece and the outer tube. This should last considerably longer than the round stock o-ring. Only my .02 worth
willy
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:44 pm

willymakit wrote:Mc Master Carr sells "o-rings" made of square stock. this would provide a more consistent contact with the knurled end piece and the outer tube. This should last considerably longer than the round stock o-ring. Only my .02 worth
willy
Welcome to the forum from CT, Willy; and thanks for your two cents. Glad you joined us.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:49 pm

3HRF.jpg
Good Day, Willy, and Welcome from the Show-Me-State.

I'd say your first post has more than .02 value....should help others get around the o-ring issue just fine.
What Henrys do you bring along to our Forum? Will be glad to hear more about your shooting interests, too.
PT7

willymakit wrote:Mc Master Carr sells "o-rings" made of square stock. this would provide a more consistent contact with the knurled end piece and the outer tube. This should last considerably longer than the round stock o-ring. Only my .02 worth
willy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

willymakit
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by willymakit » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:48 pm

Howdy Y'all,
I'm packin' a H001TLB and H011IF. Really like the 44-40 as is, the stock is so nicely figured I just can't hardly bring myself to cut it off! (short arms)
The color case hardened effect is just swell, fit and finish is A No.1
The little .22 "long barrel" is a joy, I just couldn't stand to not have the magazine tube come to the end of the barrel so had to modify that and the inner tube as well. Now it looks balanced, and holds 21 L.R.'s. While inspecting it upon arrival noticed the crown of the barrel was "finished", inside, with a Rat tail file? But it shoots 1 Min of tin can at 25 yds. so till I can mount a scope to check the real accuracy, it'll do. I'm not to happy with the rear sight, white diamond is not centered under the notch!?...so fill the notch, make it wider and centered over the diamond, or forget it....
BTW, Henry USA wouldn't sell me a replacement mag tube, had to return rifle to them so they could install it??? Come on, it is held in with one (1) tapered pin!!! We need an "Insider", Hmmmm, maybe Antney?
Happy to be aboard,
willymakit
0 x