Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Skinner Peep + fine tuning, H004Y (long with photos)

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: New Skinner Peep + fine tuning, H004Y (long with photos)

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:28 pm

Im not much for the brass buttons for lack of a better word in the stock. But what the other stuff you have done to the gun the look great. Nice job for sure. Definitely personalizes the rifle
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Frontiersman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frontiersman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:14 pm

Funny. I like the brass tacks. But could do without the rest.

The knob on the side of the sight seems problematic. It does look cool, but I'd be afraid it would snag and bend or break.

It sure is pretty. A real work of art.
0 x

BillyBoy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by BillyBoy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:44 pm

I'm not much for the brass buttons for lack of a better word in the stock.
I know- the tacks are problematic depending on your point of view. Some love them, some hate them, and think they're "tacky". But I grew up on the Flathead Indian Reservation in Montana, and my wife's (California) tribe adopted me. So I wanted to Honor my friends and family, and the Native warriors. Did you know that Native American's have served our country in the military and wars in a greater percentage than any other population?

Tacks were very common on Native weapons. They usually represented victories, or special (and usually personal secret) symbols. But I discovered something interesting after some field use- they really add grip and purchase, especially to the foregrip, with or without gloves. Way better than checkering. Those Native warriors were no dummies!

But I would never do this to another rifle! But for some reason, a carbine just lends itself to personalization.
The knob on the side of the sight seems problematic. It does look cool, but I'd be afraid it would snag and bend or break.
Totally agree! After some field use, I've already swapped the thumbscrew back for the original setscrew. Even shortened, it snagged the lining of my scabbard. And frankly, just does not look right. After all, this is a tin can shooting carbine, not a Sharps 44-120 fitted with a 1000 yard Vernier Tang Sight! Also, the Skinner Peep threaded post is nice and tight, and I’ve dialed it in at 25 yards, and don’t think the elevation will change when I graduate to 50+ yards or so with CCI mini mags.

Also, the jury is out on the large loop lever. It's great with gloves, but without gloves there's a lot of "slop" when racking, while the standard loop is very precise. But your hand won't fit easily with gloves. But either way, the leather wrap is a must IMO, as it really saves the fronts of your fingers! To be honest, I simply like the "cowboy" look of the large loop lever, and how it ties into the rest of the package.

Hey, it's all about fun!

Bill
Last edited by BillyBoy on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:12 pm

Fun is the operative word for this project, and the fun you had comes through in all the reports and photos. That, and the true labor of love that it obviously was for you, as you honored so much of your heritage and upbringing.

Needless to say, you've got some kind of skills, so thank you for sharing the project with us. Beautiful, one-of-a-kind craftsmanship!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357