Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Touch up paint for receiver cover

itshooter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Touch up paint for receiver cover

Post by itshooter » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:57 am

Does anyone have specific recommendations for the best touch up paint to use on the black receiver cover of the H001 series? I've seen automotive touch up paint mentioned as a possibility, and that seems like it would be a good choice for adhesion and durability, but is there a specific auto manufacturer and color combination that anyone can recommend as being the best color match? Or a specific color in any other type of paint?
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Touch up paint for receiver cover

Post by Mags » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:11 pm

Henry Tech CS is really good to work with. They might have an answer that is best suited for you.
Henry contacts members of this forum have used are listed in this topic: http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5127.
Patrick, Jeff and Dee most frequently recently. Let them know HRF sent you to them.
itshooter wrote:Does anyone have specific recommendations for the best touch up paint to use on the black receiver cover of the H001 series? I've seen automotive touch up paint mentioned as a possibility, and that seems like it would be a good choice for adhesion and durability, but is there a specific auto manufacturer and color combination that anyone can recommend as being the best color match? Or a specific color in any other type of paint?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

itshooter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by itshooter » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:29 pm

Thanks Mags. I worked with Patrick on a previous warranty repair, so I emailed him with the question. His reply was, “Birchwood Casey makes a “Superblack” pen that matches the finish exactly.” I clarified that it was the gloss black pen he was referring to, not the flat black.

I’m planning to find one of those in the next few days and give it a try.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:00 pm

good info, thanks for bringing it to our attention .... I may well order on to have on hand

https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey- ... merReviews
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:21 pm

ah there ya go. all set. let us know for sure how it works out.
itshooter wrote:Thanks Mags. I worked with Patrick on a previous warranty repair, so I emailed him with the question. His reply was, “Birchwood Casey makes a “Superblack” pen that matches the finish exactly.” I clarified that it was the gloss black pen he was referring to, not the flat black.

0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:01 am

itshooter, if you try this product, it would be cool if you did before/after photos of your scratched receiver cover, especially if it works well. Thanks. I'm sure other Folk would be interested in this help as those scratches tend to regularly happen.

Sounds like a quite easy solution. Hope it finishes well for you.

PT7
itshooter wrote:Thanks Mags. I worked with Patrick on a previous warranty repair, so I emailed him with the question. His reply was, “Birchwood Casey makes a “Superblack” pen that matches the finish exactly.” I clarified that it was the gloss black pen he was referring to, not the flat black.

0 x

~Пока~

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:56 pm

If you REALLY wanted to be proactive, you could take the receiver cover to a place that anodizes aluminum, and ask if they could strip the paint off, (or you could do that yourself I'm sure), and bring them the cover, and ask them to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EExru6nQjjI

See the comments below the video? One guy asks "what was the thickness of each anodic layer?

The person who responded says: "0.002" for Type III (hard anodizing). So hard anodizing is about 2x the thickness of standard anodizing"

I think that would be really cool to do that to a Henry receiver cover. Or even better, if you could afford it, get a machinist to write a CAD file, and replicate the receiver cover — in milled steel, then have it blued.
0 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:42 am

I wonder if anyone has ever crecoketed one of them in a different color?
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:50 pm

One of our members striped the paint entirely off of the receiver, right down to the zamak metal. Kind of an aluminum-ish color.
Ozarkwoodswalker wrote:I wonder if anyone has ever crecoketed one of them in a different color?
0 x

Pilsner
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Pilsner » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:08 am

FWIW I’ve used the Birchwood paint pen and it is a good quick repair.
0 x
Henry H001 .22LR / Hiviz Front/Rear
Henry H006MR .357 / SeeAll Sight
Rossi Ranch Hand .45 LC / Marbles Bullseye Sights
Ruger 10-22 TD / Sig Romeo5
Ruger American Bolt .22 / Burris AR/22 Scope (Great Scope)