Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

H001T octagon FEED ISSUES

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

H001T octagon FEED ISSUES

Post by henry22 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:12 pm

I have a warranty issue related to a new H001T I purchased about 10 days ago. I'll have to go through the ONLY Henry warranty provider in Canada, and there is only one for all of Canada. I can't send my rifle to Henry. Apparently things get sticky when we try to ship rifles cross border, from country to country. Believe me, I'd much rather just send it to Henry.

I'm hoping maybe someone from Henry, or a gunsmith here can comment, and shed some light on why these feed issues happen.

I'm having a feed issue with the H001T, particularly if the lever isn't engaged quickly. The nose of the bullet pinches against the inside edge of the chamber opening as it's channeled into the chamber from the carrier. It's not a failure to feed, but it doesn't feet smoothly.

1: While visually inspecting how a live round is cycled, while looking at the ejection port sideways, the bullet always seems to be off center — concentrically from the chamber. It seems to favour moving slightly up and to the right. The 22LR bullet angle is much steeper than a 22 mag round in my H001M as its cycled.

2: If I place a live round by hand onto the carrier of the H001T, and point the muzzle downwards, gravity allows the bullet to slide into the chamber smoothly. So it seems to have nothing to do with the chamber, but rather the transition of the bolt making contact with the primer of the round, pushing it forward along the carrier's rails, where it becomes misaligned when it reaches the chamber's opening. This CCI Stinger below actually became slightly jammed.
H001T Bullet Jam.JPG

CCI Stinger - deformed.JPG
3: This results in a feeling of slight resistance in the lever before it closes completely, a slight grinding sensation, and a shaved off portion on the nose of the bullet if it's ejected live. It will cycle the round into the chamber, and it can be fired, but the bullet nose always grinds into the chamber, instead of having a smooth seamless transition into the chamber. NOTE the bullet position on the H001T's carrier, it point upwards instead of straight or even slightly pitched downwards like on the H001M
H001T cartridge alignment 2.JPG

H001T cartridge alignment 3.JPG

H001T cartridge alignment 4.JPG
My H001M on the other hand, cycles so well in fact, that I typically hand load the rifle via the ejection port. I half ass insert the cartridge with 2 fingers, nose pointed towards the chamber with the action open. If I even semi close the lever 1/3 of the way, the bolt face just tapping the bullet is enough to slide the round directly into the chamber, all the way to the primer ring, regardless of how fast or slowly the lever is engaged:
H001M cartridge alignment 1.JPG

H001M cartridge alignment 2.JPG

4: I've read on Rimfire Central that this is a known issue on some of the Henry rimfire models: SEE https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/s ... p?t=495686 One person is quoted as saying: "Send it to Henry. This problem has been discussed. A forum member here who works at Henry said that some of the rifles have a problem that needs to be repaired"

Another person said: "Seems to be a problem mainly with the 22 rifles. I had to send my 22mag in for the same reason. Don't mess with it, the sooner you send it in the sooner you will get it back. The problem will not resolve itself. I had mine back within a week. Henry service is excellent and very fast. It is a problem that Henry should address."

Others say: "Call me Lucky?? My H001 seems to feed at any speed that I've asked it to, I have a hammer extender on to clear the scope. I do have a problem with only one ammo that I know of. When using Win 333 or 555, the very blunt nose of the bullet seems to not to want to feed. SImple solution for me was to use the Winny's in other guns. Problem solved"

If anyone has had experience with this, or has any technical knowledge, please let me know what you think causes this in some rifles of the same model, and not others.

Is it a carrier alignment issue? Is the carrier set too low or off center of the chamber for the bullet to enter smoothly?

Does the bolt face contacting the primer of the bullet cause it to veer off it's correct alignment path?

Tried the following 22LR ammo when the feed issues were discovered:

CCI Stingers — extremely poor fit into the chamber, seemed like the bullet was too large a caliber
American Eagle — cycled better than the CCI Stingers, but still shaved part of the bullet's nose down
Federal 40 grain — Same as American Eagle
Winchester Wildcat — behaved just like the American Eagle, maybe less noticeable grinding sensation?

That Sunday evening after the range trip, I began to dis-assemble the rifle. When I got to the receiver cover, it was practically impossible to pull off by the tang. I pulled straight back on it as I always do with the H001M, but I had to tug on it, with great force for it to come off. When it did, it made a scraping sound against the rails of the bolt, and the bolt was stuck in the ceiling of the receiver cover. I pried it out with my finger, and realized this cover is too snug for the frame.

I dis-assembled the rifle down to the carrier group, cleaned every single part, re-lubed etc. I found more than a few fingernail sized trimmings of metal shavings - thinking maybe they were interfering with the carrier lever's range of movement.

When I got to the carrier lever itself, I found that it wouldn't slip off of the stud that's part of the receiver wall. It's supposed to come off. The best I could do was spray lube over the stud and in between the carrier lever to smooth things.

When re-assembled, everything was as slick as could be, the action felt exactly like my H001M. But the feed issue was still there. I brought it to the hunting store where I purchased it. I know one of the sales reps who said he would:

1: Take my rifle to his place and try to repeat the feed issue via the mag tube, and by hand loading through the ejection port.
2: Bring another H001 from the store, and do the same as above. We'll see what the outcome is.

Any ideas as to what causes this feed issue? — Much thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by henry22 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: H001T octagon FEED ISSUES

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:27 pm

I have no idea about your issues but I do have an idea your not going to want to hear. Call Henry and send it to them. I agree with your comment made in the post above. Send it back now and you will get it back sooner. Let Henry take care of it. Just my 2 cents worth. Al
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:31 am

You have certainly done your due diligence in diagnosing the issue. I understand your desire not to have to go through the extra delay due to being across the northern border. I had a similar issue with one batch of ammunition. It was Winchester but since you are having the problem with multiple brands that rules it out.
No doubt if you contact Henry with the details you have given here they will get it turned around quickly.
2 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:40 am

agree with the recommendations to send it back so you can get it back as quickly as possible
1 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:15 am

The receiver cover on my H001TLP is ridiculously tight as well, and the bolt is more or less stuck in it every time I remove it. I stripped the paint off mine which should give a bit more clearance, and lubed it well, but it’s still really tight. Mine seems to feed fine, although not “as smooth as butter”. I purchased mine from Bullseye in London Ont, and had them ship it out west. I feel for you on the warranty thing. It sucks dealing with gun warranty issues. I know you can ship certain parts across the line easy enough, but the entire rifle would be more challenging. Who/where is the Canadian warranty depot? I’d consider talking to a good local smith and Henry CS directly before sending the rifle to warranty land.

Good luck with the repair!
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:53 am

With the number of countries to which Henry distributes, it seems like they'd have a solution for a known issue with their best selling rifle, no matter where it resides.

I'd recommend contacting Patrick Hall at Henry directly (patrick@henryusa.com) and send him the same set of pics (fantastic job) that you posted above and see what he says. It's probably the next best thing to sending it in, which I understand is almost like a 50/50 chance that you'll see it again for 6 months.

Patrick is super responsive and will go the extra mile, I believe, especially with the due diligence you have already done.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:23 pm

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. The guy I know at the hunting store took my rifle home with him, and one of their store owned H001's. He cycled live rounds from the tube, and loaded from the ejection port on both. He said there's definitely a feed issue going on with mine, while the store's H001 cycled well, except for 1 mis-feed, which could have been ammo related, who knows.

Segue here...

Patrick at Henry is the man. The dude is AWESOME. I had a loose barrel band screw in my H001M last year that kept spinning. I sent in a request to Henry, and Patrick shipped a brand new barrel band and set screw, with a new for-end, no questions. Amazing.

Great News from Patrick. The other day in an e-mail, I asked him if he could possibly send me a new bolt, new carrier, and receiver cover (since mine was so tight). My thought was, if I change out the carrier, change the receiver cover, and bolt, that maybe the marriage of those parts will fit better than my current set of parts. ( particularly the carrier, which Patrick suggests is the most likely suspect)

So today he responded saying he'd ship the cover, and carrier, but not the bolt. As it turns out, the bolts are fitted each time with a particular rifle, and so they can't be shipped. However, I'm hoping the new carrier, and potentially looser receiver cover will solve the feed issue. If it doesn't then I'll live with it, or trade the rifle for something else in the future. I'll keep my fingers crossed with my eye on the mailbox.

Unbelievable customer service! and practically unheard of these days.
Last edited by henry22 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:15 am

henry22 wrote:... Unbelievable customer service! and practically unheard of this days. ... So today he responded saying he'd ship the cover, and carrier, but not the bolt. As it turns out, the bolts are fitted each time with a particular rifle, and so they can't be shipped. However, I'm hoping the new carrier, and potentially looser receiver cover will solve the feed issue.
That is unbelievable and a much more satisfying experience than having to part with your Henry to send it back to the factory :!:
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234