Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

What are you Shooting you're Lever Action 22's on ?

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: What are you Shooting you're Lever Action 22's on ?

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:15 pm

Redthies wrote:
Mags wrote:.
Nutria River Rat
I hear those are tough to kill, but then I’ve also seen guys going at them with 10/22s so can’t be that tough? What’s the real skinny Mags?
Have spent years dispatching nutria with a .22. For me the challenge now is hitting them at some distance with a .22 open sight. They can hear really well and they skidattle when they think I'm creeping up on them. They also tend to keep their distance from the house now. House/deck overlooks the creek. A well placed .22 shot is deadly. But it is rarely an instant kill. They can swim around and bawl like a cow for a minute or so, before passing.

Dispatching Nutria is a side affect benefit of buying my Henry .30-30. I bought it because it was a gorgeous rifle that I could expect to shoot well. I didn't buy it to shoot Nutria, but my wife thought that was why I bought it. I didn't tell her otherwise. So in part to keep up the myth, the past few months that is what it got used for when not target shooting. Anyway, a well placed shot from the .30-30 is instant kill of the nutria.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:00 am

I’d bet a .30-30 would take one out! I hear they really tear up the river banks. I spend some time on the Willamette near O.C. and Newberg. Have yet to see any nutria though. Are there as many as I hear about?
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:49 am

Redthies wrote:I’d bet a .30-30 would take one out! I hear they really tear up the river banks. I spend some time on the Willamette near O.C. and Newberg. Have yet to see any nutria though. Are there as many as I hear about?
They do tear up the stream banks and meadows with their burrows. I've unintentionally collapsed a few with my tractor. I live in a secluded creek area off the Tualatin River. I usually bag 5 to 6 of them in the Spring and then rarely see any again until this time of year. I had one feeding below the deck a few days ago, but had the Henry locked up and put away. When I moved it took off, so didn't bother getting the Henry out.

I don't know that you would see very many nutria near Oregon City. The Willamette River is pretty busy there. They are probably there, but skittish and keep themselves hidden away. Better chance of seeing one near Newberg on the south side of the river where the farm land is. More so at night when boaters and other things on the river are gone and it's quieter.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:49 am

Thanks for all the comments guy's. Henry22 that would be a lot of fun. Thanks for the idea.
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:22 am

jstanfield103 wrote: Henry22 that would be a lot of fun. Thanks for the idea.
I now have a 2 lb bag of tiny red potatoes. Just about the size of a grouse head :mrgreen:
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:22 am

Living out in the woods where I do, it's usually some critter that has broken the rules. Armadillo, 'coon, groundhog, etc.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:38 am

GunnyGene wrote:Living out in the woods where I do, it's usually some critter that has broken the rules. Armadillo, 'coon, groundhog, etc.
I have moles that break the rules. And they mostly get away with it. Hard to hit with any firearm. I have more luck when they panic, break cover and try to run in the open from the riding lawn mower.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:44 am

Mags wrote:
GunnyGene wrote:Living out in the woods where I do, it's usually some critter that has broken the rules. Armadillo, 'coon, groundhog, etc.
I have moles that break the rules. And they mostly get away with it. Hard to hit with any firearm. I have more luck when they panic, break cover and try to run in the open from the riding lawn mower.
Don't have a problem with moles/gofers. Got snakes that eat 'em. :D
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:54 am

Lever Action Silhouette. Targets at 40/50/75 & 100 yards/meters. Must knock it over the score. Most use peep sights (no scopes allowed). 40 or 60 round matches most common - 120 round in Houston next month.
If we were professional silhouette shooters we'd all be starving - so we just do it for fun and tiny prizes.
Changed from Marlin to Henry this year and like it better.
M
raton.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:36 am

Mags wrote:
GunnyGene wrote: I have moles that break the rules. And they mostly get away with it. Hard to hit with any firearm. I have more luck when they panic, break cover and try to run in the open from the riding lawn mower.
I have one of these to deal with moles...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x