Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Build dates by SN??

Wulfmann
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Build dates by SN??

Post by Wulfmann » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:56 pm

I recently bought some estate guns and 2 were Henry 22LR Lever rifles 18".
One is SN# 473381H
Other is SN # 155994H (I assume this is a much earlier build, yes/no?)

Any clue as to when these were built?

Being ignorant of Henry rifles I have to wonder if they, like so many gun makers, cut corners as time went on particularly switching from milled parts to stamped or MIM.

Anyone here have info on changes?

I intend on keeping one of these 2 sweet rifles.
They shoot about the same but the trigger and lever actions do feel different, not better just different.

Would like to know if 473381 is improved being newer or if they don't make them like 155994 anymore
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Build dates by SN??

Post by PT7 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:55 pm

Glad to have you on the Forum as this is your first post, Wulfmann. You have the bedrock of the Henry rifle line in those two .22LR lever actions.

If you contact a Henry Tech (I've often been in touch with Jeff Post at jeff@henryusa.com) for help and info, you'll quickly get the answers to the serial numbers Qs. If you do get any info on improvements/changes in production over time for the H001 model, the Forum members would like to know about that for sure.

Congrats on your Henrys!
PT7
_WELCOME!_.jpg
Wulfmann wrote:I recently bought some estate guns and 2 were Henry 22LR Lever rifles 18".
One is SN# 473381H
Other is SN # 155994H (I assume this is a much earlier build, yes/no?)

Any clue as to when these were built?

Being ignorant of Henry rifles I have to wonder if they, like so many gun makers, cut corners as time went on particularly switching from milled parts to stamped or MIM.

I intend on keeping one of these 2 sweet rifles.
They shoot about the same but the trigger and lever actions do feel different, not better just different.

Would like to know if 473381 is improved being newer or if they don't make them like 155994 anymore
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:06 pm

Wulfmann wrote:

Welcome to the forum from CT and congratulations on having a couple of Henry's in your collection.
As mentioned, Henry CS will gladly let you know the date of manufacture.

As for Henry cutting corners as time passes, I think the opposite might be true. The company has upgraded materials over time. Not only that, but they've been known to replace older parts with newer parts if requested.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:21 pm

first, welcome to our forum, happy to have you join us .... congrats on your Henry rifles .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add them to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 648#p68648
0 x

Wulfmann
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Wulfmann » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:56 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Being a long time shooter I already contacted Henry but being the weekend I knew it would be a couple days so thought I might ask here..

The forums on other makes often give more objective feedback on things so I thought I would see what y'all thought as well.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:18 pm

Welcome from the TV Oregon!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Wulfmann
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Wulfmann » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:20 pm

JEBar wrote:first, welcome to our forum, happy to have you join us .... congrats on your Henry rifles .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add them to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 648#p68648
Done!! :mrgreen:
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:36 pm

I'm looking forward to hearing about your decision making process when deciding which one to keep
0 x

Wulfmann
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Wulfmann » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:58 pm

I wouldn't mind either as they are both nice but the fact the action feels different as does the trigger I believe there is something different about their parts.

I hope to find out this week as I have a table at the local gun show Sept 1/2 (as a hobbyist) so if I don't get definitive information I will take them both and let someone decide which they want and keep the other.

Now, if that is how it goes down I will afterwards be certain to get information the one I sold is much better than the one I kept casue that is how things are supposed to go. Yes/no????
:lol:
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:27 pm

all I can say is that would be pretty much normal in my case .. :?
0 x