Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

First gun! A Golden Boy 22 Carbine, of course!

BillyBoy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

First gun! A Golden Boy 22 Carbine, of course!

Post by BillyBoy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:34 pm

1-Henry Golden Boy 22 LR.jpg
Hi all!

Real newbie here, new to the Forum. And I really mean newbie! Just bought my first ever firearm, have not shot for over 50 years, and then it was always my dad's pistols.

I was born in Montana, and grew up in a tiny town on Flathead Lake, at that time part of the Flathead Indian Reservation. I was the only Anglo kid, and always lost when we played Cowboys and Indians. Go figure! Being sheep country, bears, timber wolves and mountain lions were a constant threat, making carrying a large-bore a necessity. After moving to Los Angeles in the early 1950's, my dad and I enjoyed riding and shooting his pistols almost every weekend- he was an expert horseman, and a Master Marksman with his pistols. We had a lot of fun, and that's why I decided to take up the shooting sport after over 50 years.

So Western Heritage is in my DNA, and of course my first gun had to be a "Brass Henry"! I ordered the HRA catalogue, and spent about a month memorizing it, reading reviews and watching videos. My first choice was a 45 ca. Big Boy Carbine, but the 80 cent cost per round to kill a tin can was insane! So I narrowed it to a 22 LR. Because of a left shoulder slow healing injury, weight is an issue, so I finally chose a H004Y, or the Golden Boy Youth model, planning to replace the shorter stock with a Henry 14" LOP Premium stock if necessary. But the light weight, 13" LOP and general ease of use is absolutely perfect for me.

So I ordered her from The Outdoorsman, the Henry Gold Dealer here in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Great guys, and VERY patient as I slowly went through my selection process. Passed the background check, ran home with my new toy, and immediately ordered the large loop lever from Henry, and a Skinner Peep, yet to be mounted. Three days later both arrived (great service!) and I installed the new lever. Then decided to do a leather wrap, as well as a leather butt cuff. I love the beautiful polished butt strap, but it was too slippery on my shoulder. Plus, it looks cool!

Then, to add insult to injury, I added antiqued brass tacks, to Honor my Native American upbringing. And no, I don't think it's "tacky"!

The first photo shows the rig, less the Skinner. The custom scabbard was made by my friend Randy, owner of Black Timber Leather, here in Santa Fe. He made it with a side slit, to allow easy insertion and removal with the large loop lever, and it's closed with a studded leather strap. Also, it comes up high on the stock (it's also my "gun case"), unlike saddle scabbards which usually go only to the drop to allow easy removal when mounted.

Second photo is a close up of the leather wrap and cuff.

But the third photo is the kicker! I took her out to the BLM shooting range (on the way to Diablo Canyon) for a test firing. Understand that I had never shot a rifle! Or any gun for over 50 years! First thirty rounds out of the box, at about 25 yards, with factory adjusted sights! I was so blown away (pun intended) I just sat there and looked at the little carbine! Would have shot more, but we had a strong monsoon come through the night before, and the range was a muddy quagmire, and I was being attacked by swarms of nasty biting bugs- generally miserable conditions. I'm going out later this week, weather permitting.

But I have to say, Henry makes one amazing rifle! Actually, they're all amazing! Here's to my next Henry!

Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BillyBoy on Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
6 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: First gun! A Golden Boy 22 Carbine, of course!

Post by PT7 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:55 pm

_WELCOME!_.jpg
Greetings from the Northland of the Show-Me-State, Billy.

Your first post begins with such a great photo of your GB! All the leather pieces and brass tacks are perfect! You have a special, one-of-kind dressed up Henry there. Plus the fact that it honors your Native American upbringing is super special......good job.

Didn't forget. For not having shot a rifle, and the first time out with your GB while battling those nasty-biting bugs, anyone would be proud to show off the POIs your targets display......another good job!

Glad you're here, and enjoy your time on the Forum. :)
PT7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:22 pm

welcome to our forum, delighted to have you join us .... do hope you will feel free to read and post often .... congrats on finding a Henry that is clearly right for you .... looking forward to your ongoing range reports and comments .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total .... in addition as you add to your collection revisit the thread and include them as well .. :D

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 648#p68648
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:04 am

That is a fine looking rifle BillyBoy and I like the carbine length. I would go that way if I did a "reset" :D

I like the tacks and as a Floridian I guess you're glad you have them in the winter, especially with a set of gloves.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:12 am

Hey Bill welcome to the forum from the TV Oregon.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:24 am

Hello Bill .... welcome to the Forum from Runcorn, UK.

Wow! What a fantastic first post, and your new Henry looks superb. ;)
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:32 am

Welcome! What a rifle !!!!
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:52 am

Congratulations on that beautiful Henry and welcome to the forum from CT.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:35 pm

Welcome and congrats. I feel your pain re: the left shoulder...I suffered a torn rotator cuff a while ago, and it has been slow coming back.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:26 pm

Welcome from Alberta. Love your custom rifle, looks great. That is some real good shooting too.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully