Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Broken Screw Head on Receiver (Brasslite)

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Broken Screw Head on Receiver (Brasslite)

Post by Ojaileveraction » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:30 am

ChefDuane wrote:
I noticed that also. What are the black and brown discolored areas around the rear receiver screw?
That's a phone and knuckles.
2 x
Pax at Justitia

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:45 am

Place a small screwdriver against the 'flat' of the broken screw, and tap it gently with a hammer until the screw starts to turn. You should be able to extract it with your fingers after that. If not, just keep tapping the screwdriver until you can. ;)
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:42 am

Those "black and brown discolored areas" to me look like a reflection of a hand/fingers holding a camera......I'd say it's a Henry shine. :) But as always, these elder eyes could be seeing things not there! :?
1 x

~Пока~

kraynky
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by kraynky » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:04 am

ChefDuane wrote:
Mistered wrote:What is the darker area around the rear screw? It looks like the finish is peeling off.
I noticed that also. What are the black and brown discolored areas around the rear receiver screw?
Haven't seen it in person yet, but when blowing up the photo, I don't see any flaking around the front screw. The brown around the rear screw is the brasslite reflection of the owners hand and camera.
1 x

ChefDuane
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ChefDuane » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:28 am

kraynky wrote:
ChefDuane wrote:
Mistered wrote:What is the darker area around the rear screw? It looks like the finish is peeling off.
Haven't seen it in person yet, but when blowing up the photo, I don't see any flaking around the front screw. The brown around the rear screw is the brasslite reflection of the owners hand and camera.
Ah, Yes. Now that you explain it one can see it's his hand holding the camera!
1 x
Henry Classic H001
Henry AR-7 Survival

USCG '77-'83
NRA/TxLTC

There is no greater protection against evil on the rampage than a loaded firearm in the hands of a free man.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:48 am

ChefDuane wrote:
kraynky wrote:
ChefDuane wrote:
Ah, Yes. Now that you explain it one can see it's his hand holding the camera!
Took a second, but ya me too.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:30 pm

Make sure you shoulder that Henry before buying - some folks have a tough time getting a good cheek weld on Golden Boys due to the bigger than average stock drop...
3 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

kraynky
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by kraynky » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:34 pm

tractortad wrote:Make sure you shoulder that Henry before buying - some folks have a tough time getting a good cheek weld on Golden Boys due to the bigger than average stock drop...
Good point. I've just found out today that they also made a "youth model" of that rifle. Still not seen it, changes in weather mean, changes in my schedule. :(
0 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:58 am

I have the youth model myself. Bought that model for the length of pull. I am only 5'5" tall and still had to cut the length of pull down from 13" to 12". The stock drop is defiantly something that is a little different on the Goldenboy' s.
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:27 pm

I would advise against using a screw extractor. Small extractors are very easy to break and an extractor broken off in a screw is a major headache. If the tapping with a punch or screwdriver doesn't work, I would take it to a gunsmith. I had a local gunsmith remove a broken screw from my Weatherby. It looked like an easy removal, but if I broke off a drill bit, or drilled into the threads (screw was very small), it would have been a difficult situation. It was worth it to me to pay the $45 and let the professional handle it. Turns out he used the procedure I was contemplating and it did the trick. He started drilling and it quickly turned itself right out.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya