Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

SGC .22LR first range trip

itshooter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

SGC .22LR first range trip

Post by itshooter » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:02 pm

Took my new SGC .22LR to the range for the first time today. This is an indoor range, and their primary 25 yard range is currently closed due to air handler problems. So I was on their secondary range with a max distance of 57 feet (19 yards). At that distance I was able to get it zeroed with the stock front sight and one full turn up from the bottom on the Skinner rear peep sight. Still need to see how it does at 25 yards once that range is open once again.

The brass bead on the stock front sight is difficult for me to pick up indoors against a target. I know that I'd prefer a thin, solid black blade like those that Skinner sells, but until I have a chance to shoot on the 25 yard range I'm unsure of what height I would need. I think I read somewhere that the height of the stock SGC front sight is 0.450". Is that correct? And is that measured from the bottom of the dovetail, the same as the Skinner front sights?

I also needed to adjust the windage on the Skinner rear sight, and wound up moving it almost as far left as it would go. The front sight appears to be centered as best I can tell, but I'll try to do some more precise measuring later to confirm that. Has anyone else found that they had to make such a dramatic windage adjustment on the SGC?
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: SGC .22LR first range trip

Post by PT7 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:54 pm

_WELCOME!_.jpg
Hey, itshooter.
I am one of the SGC .22LR owners on our Forum. We have a really accurate rifle in this model with a very smooth action. You have many fun hours ahead at the range, or trekking on some squirrel or rabbit hunts.

Welcome! Glad you joined, and bring along this great Henry model with you!

Here is my take on some of your Qs. Sorry I don't know the "height of the stock SGC front sight." But have read that yes, it "is measured from the bottom of the dovetail, the same as the Skinner front sights." I was one of the luckier SGC owners...I did not have to change out the stock front bead sight on my SGC. SIghted it in just fine, and it has worked well for my elder eyes so far.

I did not need to make anywhere near the "dramatic" windage adjustment for my SGC as you said you did. To be honest, that shouldn't be at that extreme; says to me something is not right. I had another Henry centerfire where I had to move a Skinner barrel-mounted peep (which I installed) quite a drift to the left to bring it on target. Found the front sight was badly off center. Of course, centering the front sight allowed for better positioning of the rear dovetail, too.

I know that there can be the possibility of a bent barrel, which is less likely to happen. But if that were the case, Henry would gladly do the correct fix for such an alignment problem. I trust that's not the problem with your SGC. Let us know how you resolve.

Definitely only my 2 cents worth. Trust others will chime in and get you centered. ;)
Enjoy that Carbine!
PT7

itshooter wrote:Took my new SGC .22LR to the range for the first time today. This is an indoor range, and their primary 25 yard range is currently closed due to air handler problems. So I was on their secondary range with a max distance of 57 feet (19 yards). At that distance I was able to get it zeroed with the stock front sight and one full turn up from the bottom on the Skinner rear peep sight. Still need to see how it does at 25 yards once that range is open once again.

The brass bead on the stock front sight is difficult for me to pick up indoors against a target. I know that I'd prefer a thin, solid black blade like those that Skinner sells, but until I have a chance to shoot on the 25 yard range I'm unsure of what height I would need. I think I read somewhere that the height of the stock SGC front sight is 0.450". Is that correct? And is that measured from the bottom of the dovetail, the same as the Skinner front sights?

I also needed to adjust the windage on the Skinner rear sight, and wound up moving it almost as far left as it would go. The front sight appears to be centered as best I can tell, but I'll try to do some more precise measuring later to confirm that. Has anyone else found that they had to make such a dramatic windage adjustment on the SGC?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

itshooter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by itshooter » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:36 pm

I examined the rifle more closely this evening, and discovered the cause of the extreme windage adjustment need. The dovetail for the front sight was not cut square to the barrel, causing the front sight to sit in a slightly twisted orientation on the barrel. I’m attaching a few images to illustrate. I’ll be contacting Henry tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:46 pm

That’d do it! I’d say they will want that back for a new barrel!
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:34 pm

itshooter wrote:The dovetail for the front sight was not cut square to the barrel, causing the front sight to sit in a slightly twisted orientation on the barrel ... I’ll be contacting Henry tomorrow.
yep, if that ain't the problem, it just should be .... good move to contact Henry
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:11 pm

That is definitely ASKEW! Henry will fix that for you. Glad you figured it out. Please keep us posted.

By the way, start with an email and those photos to Patrick Hall. He's in NJ, where your rifle was made. His email is patrick@henryusa.com

Great to deal with, very attentive and prompt. He'll take care of you.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:50 pm

You've nailed it; the photo you took with the sight installed clearly shows the mis-alignment. Easy to understand why your windage for the Skinner had to move so far to the left!

Appears that Henry needs to provide a new barrel; don't know how this could otherwise be repaired, as I'm not a gunsmith.
Agree with the other Forum Folk that contacting Henry is the way to go....they will take care of it.

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

itshooter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by itshooter » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:24 am

Quick update for you. My warranty service request was approved and I received a UPS return label this morning. I got it packaged up and dropped it off with my FFL for pickup by his UPS driver later today. And so the waiting begins. Does anyone know what Henry's typical turnaround time is for repairs like this?
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:31 am

Turnaround time from Henry has always been quite good/short for me. Nowadays I know they are very busy both with selling and repair services. From my perspective, Henry generally does decent CS. Generally, I'm fairly patient and that has helped me whenever waiting for Henry to get a rifle back my way.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:15 pm

I have been putting off sending my Henry back. Did not want to hassle in the dropping it off. I never thought about using the LGS to have the driver pick it up when he is dropping stuff off. Good idea. I think I will now send mine in. Thanks for the idea.
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small