Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Small Game Carbine

jstraw
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Small Game Carbine

Post by jstraw » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:31 pm

I have been considering getting one of these in 22LR or 22 WMR since they were introduced. It just seems that even with the upgraded sights that the height of the front or something else ends up needing upgraded or changed in most discussions I have read. I wonder if I had best go Frontier model and go from there. Any comments? I really do like my Henry's but just want to buy once. Also is the Frontier any advantage in the field or shooting offhand? Thanks for all comments and advice.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Small Game Carbine

Post by ESquared » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:20 pm

As far as I can tell, the SGC is the only model that comes with the rear Peep sight. Looks like the Frontier has the regular semi-buckhorn.

Can't speak to why they seem to have a problem with a front sight that is too short (mine was, but they sent me a new one pronto), but the rear Peep is fantastic, and so is the rifle! Front sight swap is easy and free if they end up needing to do it for you.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:13 pm

Jstraw,

There are a number of Henry SGC owners on the Forum, both of the .22LR and .22WMR calibers. Hope you've read some of the posts about the SGC. You'll find that it is quite a rifle. I'd hazard a guess that most all owners here would give you the "thumbs up" to purchase one. For me, it's the very best Henry rimfire (.22LR) I've ever owned. :D And yes, much of that appreciation is due to the stock Skinner rear peep sight it comes with. Nothing could be better than that for my shooting!

Best in making your decision. Look forward to what you decide. But whatever Henry it is, it will be a great rifle. ;)
PT7
jstraw wrote:I have been considering getting one of these in 22LR or 22 WMR since they were introduced. It just seems that even with the upgraded sights that the height of the front or something else ends up needing upgraded or changed in most discussions I have read. I wonder if I had best go Frontier model and go from there. Any comments? I really do like my Henry's but just want to buy once. Also is the Frontier any advantage in the field or shooting offhand? Thanks for all comments and advice.
1 x

~Пока~

Carver
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Carver » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:38 pm

I bought the SGC 22cal the frontier model, but found that I just can’t use iron sights anymore so I put a red dot sight on.
Probably not cool in some circles, but I’m still able to shoot a rifle and have a lot of fun. Enjoy whichever model you get.
1 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:15 am

I have the SGR, the front sight was to short at 25 yards. Henry sent me a new sight and got it in about a week. I put a Lyman Globe sight on mine. The front sight needs to be around .494 to .5 to get the most out of the Skinner sight movement. Most peep though leave the sight alone after the being set. Also the Skinner sight on the rifle windage is adjusted by an Allen screw that holds that sight on. Not like the other Skinner sights do with a small Allen screw in a dove cut sliding peep.

Last but not least is there is no dove tail cut for iron sights in the rifle. This is good because you do not have a plug in the dove tail were the iron sights would go. Which I like no dove tail cut in the barrel.

After putting the correct front height sight on mine, she is a lovely and very accurate shooting rifle. The best Henry rifle that I have ever had. Love it.

3 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:26 am

I looked at all the options when I was shopping. In the end, it came down to getting to where I wanted to be in the most streamlined way. If I factored in the cost of the Skinner sight that fit in the factory dovetail (they make a couple of versions that don’t use the dovetail, but then you have to use a hideous filler), the extra 3/4 lb for the Frontier, and the cost of a big loop, it just made more sense to buy the SGC. I like the octagon barrel better too.

I was, in all honesty just about ready to buy the Frontier locally (nobody local had a SGC), but then the online store of a small shop out east put the SGC on sale and knocked $135 off the price! That made it easy for me.

I have yet to shoot mine, but if the front sight is too low, I’m sure Henry will ship me a couple of taller ones just like they have for everyone else that has had this issue. If you buy any of the Skinner peeps it says right on the webpage that you wil probably have to change your front sight as well. It would be nice if they actually sent the rifle with the taller front sight,as it seems it’s a common occurrence to need it, but maybe they are slow learners?
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:05 am

Carver wrote:I bought the SGC 22cal the frontier model, but found that I just can’t use iron sights anymore so I put a red dot sight on.
Probably not cool in some circles, but I’m still able to shoot a rifle and have a lot of fun. Enjoy whichever model you get.
Not to worry. It is very cool in my circle. For ease of use and accuracy, not to mention solving a lot of sight problems, red dots on a lever gun are a great choice.
0 x