Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry H001TLP Disapointment

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Henry H001TLP Disapointment

Post by PT7 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:45 pm

jstanfield103,

I've not lost any sleep over your H001TLP's stock finish like Redthies has. ;) But since I'm a wood nut and love Henry stocks, it would be definitely nice (my perspective) if you finished it. Just some suggestions.

~~~Have you seen some of the stocks that Bandit1250 has displayed? He really knows how to make wood glow. You might consider sending him a PM, if you were to decide to take yours back to its new look.

~~~Also BrokenolMarine is an expert at wood carpentry, and has taken us through some of his wood projects. Those projects included some beautiful wood finishing and stains. Again, he uses our PM system, too.

Both of these Forum members really know how to handle wood and they bring some real beauty out of it. :) But again, it's not my H001TLP, and you said "...it does not bother me." That's okay. But I wouldn't enjoy an unfinished stock on mine....probably would lose some sleep in that case!! :lol:

PT7

P.S. And contact me via PM if interested. I recently purchased a Lyman 17AML .494 Target Front Sight. Before I installed it, I took my BBS .357 to the range, and decided I did like the stock front bead sight. I shoot okay with it, and will still use it.

So chose not to even try out the Lyman Globe. Like I said, never installed, brand new. If you do contact me, possibly it could work out for you.
Redthies wrote:
jstanfield103 wrote: 1. Cut the rear stock down 1.5" to make it 12" length of pull( could not match finish very well but it does not bother me either)
I haven’t been sleeping well at night after seeing these photos. If I were you, I’d just lightly sand off the rest of the factory finish on the wood, and just do a few coats of linseed oil. It will look way better than the 1/2 and 1/2 look you have now.
0 x

~Пока~

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:43 am

Well, maybe I exaggerated a tiny bit. I’ve actually been sleeping really well these days. But I am a professional woodworker (34 years worth) and recently started finishing rifle stocks. I bought a Ruger .44 Carbine with a cracked stock for dirt cheap, and could only find one stock in all of North America to replace it. It was an “unfinished” stock from Macon. Unfinished was a bit of an understatement. I spent a lot of hours milling and sanding and finishing that stock. It actually turned out beautifully. I then gave a light sand to a 10/22 walnut stock I had that was pretty beat up. A few coats of linseed oil and it looks amazing! All it takes is a few hours of your time and it will look beautiful again.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:55 am

I was drawn into this as well by the photos and got to wondering how the butt-end got that way, then it hit me.

In taking length off the stock, there is also a reduction in the footprint of the end of it, since it's tapered. Meaning, the butt-plate ended up too big, and it had to be re-shaped to fit the new dimension of the stock. Then, to blend it all end, it looks like both the butt-plate and the stock were sanded after it was put back together.

As easy as that stock is to remove and re-attach, continuing to clean it up won't be hard, just time-consuming, as noted above.

Not losing sleep, just thinking about it...
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:50 pm

I have a Browning BL-22 that the stock was scratch all to heck. I took the stock off and stripped the finish, sanded the scratches out of it and shortened the stock. Finished it with furniture polish and wax. Looks old style and matches the 1980 rifle that someone never really took care of. Love that rifle though and she is a really good shooter. The stock on this Henry I will probably leave it as I have it right now. I am really not much of a wood worker, or should I say a wood finisher.
Here is a picture of the Browning. It was abused in it's former life. I rebuild the whole inside of the rifle. She is just an ugly duckling, but a grand old lady and one heck of a shooter. But here is what the stock looks like now.

0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:11 pm

a grand old lady indeed .... one with a long life ahead .... your wood working looks good to m.... congrats on breathing new life into her
0 x

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:12 pm

Nice, love my Brownings
Here is my 40 year old BL 22
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:36 am

Beautiful, I also have a Micro Midas BL-22, no scope but I have a red dot on her. I have all my levers set up in different configurations. I like all of them for different reasons. I watched a video that ranked all the different levers and decided I will try and rank them my self. I really can't rank them, I did 1.Marlin 2. Winchester 3. Browning 4. Henry but really they are all tied. All have different things that I like about them and all are really dead on shooters. Really they are all super rifles and all very well made. The only reason the Henry even is ranked at the bottom is I would rather have a Steel receiver, wish they would make one like there steel big boys. I would pay the $800 for one. Any way here is a kind of crappy picture of my gun rack with them all on it.
They list from top to bottom as follows.
1. 1887 Winchester 12 gauge Chinees copy
2. Henry Golden Boy Youth Model (still needs sent back for barrel replacement)
3. Browning BL-22 Micro Midas Millett red dot
4. 1980 Browning BL-22 (treated ruff in her former life) Williams rear peep
5. 1955 Marlin 39M (Mountie) Williams Rear Peep FA-39
6. 1978 Winchester 9422 XTR
7. SGR Henry with Lyman Globe Sight
8. Stoeger Stage Coach 12 Gauge ( stripped the wood and cut LOP down )

4 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:24 am

Pretty impressive rack. Nice set of guns.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:12 pm

Thank you very much. Built it out of some old shelf lumber my daughter use to have in her room she did not want anymore.
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:36 pm

very nice collection .... love the display .... I'd really like to hear more about the coach gun
0 x