Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry Rimfire as Big Boy Training Tool?

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Henry Rimfire as Big Boy Training Tool?

Post by ESquared » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:55 am

Greetings, all.

It took no time at all, but I'm now stalking my next Henry purchase. I'm trying to be somewhat strategic about it, rather than just impulsive and addictive, so I've developed some criteria.

My search is driven by the notion of "VARIETY," and this has led me to the Small Game lineup, which seems like a great companion to my BBS/357.
I'm also drawn to the carbine version (22LR), as it underscores the variety angle:
1. Large loop lever vs. reg loop lever
2. Octagonal barrel vs. round barrel
3. Smooth stocks vs. checkered stocks
4. 16.5" vs. 20" barrel

Both rifles will have Peeps (standard on the SGC, installed by me on the .357) so there's that commonality, but that's what leads me to my question.
Would the SGC (in either barrel length) serve me well as a training tool for my .357? Similar/identical sighting set-ups would lead me to think so. Would the difference in barrel length make a difference? If so, I'd have no problem going with the longer-barrelled version.

Or is this just a gross rationalization for buying another Henry?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insights!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Henry Rimfire as Big Boy Training Tool?

Post by JEBar » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:28 am

ESquared wrote:I'm also drawn to the carbine version (22LR), as it underscores the variety angle:
1. Large loop lever vs. reg loop lever
2. Octagonal barrel vs. round barrel
3. Smooth stocks vs. checkered stocks
4. 16.5" vs. 20" barrel
for the most part, all for are a matter of personal preference .... barrel length and shape can both influence the rifle's balance .... that said, some prefer a rifle to be front weighted, some don't .... if you can find a dealer that has a good stock of Henry rifles, handling them is worth many, many words .... there is a long standing school of thought that says one should practice with what they hunt with .... shooting a 22 is most certainly less expensive and, for most of us, that's a big plus .... another positive is, the shooting mechanics are much the same and the more practice one gets, the better
1 x

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:41 am

Sounds like the initial stages of Henryitus setting in here, ESquared. The only known cure is another Henry.

The Small Game Carbine is an awesome little 22LR fun machine - you won't need too much "rationalizing" once you hold one (I bet other SGC owners on the forum will chime in here, too). It probably would be a good trainer for a BigBoy if the sights were set up the same. I don't think lever loop size, barrel type/length, and stock checkering would really matter anywhere near as much as the sights being the same...
Last edited by tractortad on Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:47 pm

Thanks, guys. My local range/shop is a Henry "Gold" dealer (if that's the term) and they tend to have good stock. I'll check them out. Just not sure of their inventory of 22s.

My intuition is that the heavier, octagonal barrel is going to feel better in the shorter length. I say that because I did the side-by-side, hold/heft and point test with a couple of Henrys when making my BBS decision. Looked at the BB Classic vs. the Steel.

So, I'm hearing no concerns about differences in barrel length/sight radius; I'm with you TractorTad, it's all about the sight systems being the same.

I'm familiar with Henryitus, by the way. Over on a certain handgun owners forum, we call it "the Signess." Same thing, just a different flavor!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:05 pm

ESquared wrote: ...rather than just impulsive and addictive...
That's almost how my Henry purchase went. I went to the LGS with my son who was there to buy something else. That shiny Henry, I'd never seen before, caught my eye and started calling out to me. I checked it out, giving it a good feel, rack the lever, heft and sight and then reluctantly handed it back. At that point I was addicted. I was only able to suppress the 'impulse' for 24 hours. The next day I was back at the LGS, leaving with my gorgeous Henry firearm.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:11 pm

Mags wrote:
ESquared wrote: ...rather than just impulsive and addictive...
That's almost how my Henry purchase went. I went to the LGS with my son who was there to buy something else. That shiny Henry, I'd never seen before, caught my eye and started calling out to me. I checked it out, giving it a good feel, rack the lever, heft and sight and then reluctantly handed it back. At that point I was addicted. I was only able to suppress the 'impulse' for 24 hours. The next day I was back at the LGS, leaving with my gorgeous Henry firearm.
Love stories like that! Sounds familiar.
0 x

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Petey » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:38 pm

SGC is a great choice............
I went the long way around = 1 BBS 357 and a BBB 357 before getting the SGC. LOL

HAppy Shootin!
Petey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:29 pm

there is a long standing school of thought that says one should practice with what they hunt with
Very true - and really the only 'training' a .22 should be used for is with say, new shooters who have little to no experience. Otherwise if you are already an experience shooter shoot your .22 for its purposes and your .357 for its.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:49 pm

Esquared, like your new avatar choice!
3 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:35 pm

I have both the 22LR and the 22 Mag SGC in the Carbine barrel length. I also have what would now be the Frontier model and it has a large loop lever. I bought the frontier model first. I had not ever used the peep sights much until I got my SGC. While I love both of the SGC I still really like shooting the other one also with buckhorn sights. I dont know that I use 22 to help me with my other calibers. I use 22 just because I like shooting 22. Its relaxing to me not worrying about chasing brass and like JEBar mention the cost now is down there where its real close to what it was before the big 22 shortage. I still enjoy shooting my 357"s and they usually go every time I go out shooting.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55