Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry Rimfire as Big Boy Training Tool?

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Henry Rimfire as Big Boy Training Tool?

Post by ESquared » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:38 pm

Mistered wrote:
there is a long standing school of thought that says one should practice with what they hunt with
Very true - and really the only 'training' a .22 should be used for is with say, new shooters who have little to no experience. Otherwise if you are already an experience shooter shoot your .22 for its purposes and your .357 for its.
Fair enough, I was just asking for input/insight, as it might have made for a second reason to buy a .22 Henry other than "I just want one - bad!"

And, I'd never think of practicing with the .22 to the exclusion of the BBS, but it does seem like it wouldn't hurt to exercise a bit of muscle (and eyesight) memory on super-cheap ammo from time to time.

Henryitis.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:41 pm

Mags wrote:Esquared, like your new avatar choice!
I remember watching that show as a kid. I thought it was the coolest thing ever!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:11 pm

I remember watching that show as a kid.
Heck I still do!
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:45 pm

Ya Rifleman, Gunsmoke, Wagon Train, original Maverick, etc
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:04 am

Anther vote for Chuck Connors for your pic. Love it.

The concept of using rimfires as training tools for shooting centerfires is as old as rimfires, themselves. People have been using it as an excuse to buy another gun for over a hundred years. I've done my best to carry on the tradition as has just about everyone, here. I wouldn't worry about trying to get an exact match. In fact, I think you lose some of that wonderful rimfire rifle handling and charm when you do. I've had a number of big and heavy 22s that came very close to the same thing in a centerfire and never kept them for long. Took some of the fun out of shooting them for me.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:08 pm

I CAN'T be the first member to use Chuck Connors as an Avatar pic, can I? What a hoot!

It's always fun to sleep on these things, because I woke up this morning of the mind that my best investment of time and money for my first ever deer hunt (I know I just jumped over about 3-4 forum boards, but sorry, it all ties together in my mind), which is mine for the taking come November on some family land in MO, would be to:1) train with my BBS .357 (exclusively); 2) Determine how proficient I am with the Skinner sights I have on order out to, say, 50 yards (I don't think I'll ever be further out in the environment I'll be in come November; and 3) If necessary/for peace of mind, spend some money on a nice scope set-up for said BBS (reasonable, not 1-2X the cost of the rifle).
TODAY, this seems like a better investment of time and money than a .22 Henry, IF the goal is to get as ready as possible for a deer hunt. Which it is.
I'll end up with a SGC sooner or later, but what do you make of today's brainstorm?
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:43 pm

Rather short time frame to practice in. I think if you need to buy the BBS to hunt with anyway, with the short practice window buy the BBS and get your practice in on it. If you decide to get a scope, I'd recommend one that has zoom out to 8x or 10x for out to 100yds. I have a 6x which is good for practice targets at 50yds, but I can't see the targets well enough for consistency at 100yds with a 6x. Ya I know the animal is a bigger target.

At 50yds I did ok nutria hunting with the open buck horn sights that came on my Henry, but for consistency I needed either a Skinner type sight or a scope. I figured I'd eventually end up buying a scope anyway, so scope is what I bought. Scope, rings and rail was about 1/3 the cost of the Henry.

A quick skim of the member list, members with 1 or more postings we have one John Wayne avatar, one Chuck Conners(you) and one Paladin business card.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks, Mags,
I've already bought the BBS and had it to the range once, with the standard buckhorn sights. The target below is of 5-shot groups (numbered 1-4 groups) at 25 yards. The ones marked "4" were taken after I moved the rear sight up one notch and they're all touching the "red," so I'm confident the Peep will serve me with even better results. I'll take the distance out to 50 yds and see how it goes, then make the scope decision. Thanks for the guidance on zoom. Very helpful, to be sure.
I'll take the scope conversation, should it come to that, to the proper sub-forum. Don't want to make the mods mad!
And, glad to hear I'm the only "Chuck Connors" out there! Too funny!
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:52 pm

Targets?
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:00 pm

Rats! Here it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x