Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry H001M range report

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Henry H001M range report

Post by henry22 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:58 pm

Don't know why I'm sharing this, it's not that exciting, but yesterday I put 200 rounds through my rifle - with an exquisitely clean barrel. The first few shots were low as they always are, I didn't touch the scope, then after about 10 rounds, things started to tighten up again. Maybe 3 clicks up, and I was in bullseye business again.

When I got home, I wiped the outside of the barrel, lever, trigger, wood, and put it away.

Today, with a nicely fouled barrel, I put another 100 through it over about 4 hours. To my surprise, THIS time, I hit bullseye the first shot, and continued to do so for the rest of the afternoon, and numerous small potatoes.

I'm dumbfounded, I thought cleaning your rifle after every range trip was good practice. Having not cleaned it after 200 rounds, It's never been this accurate. I'm not going to clean it at all now. I'll wait until I'm up around 800 or 1000 rounds, or until the barrel is so fouled it won't hold accuracy, then I'll clean it.

Unreal.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Henry H001M range report

Post by PT7 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:39 pm

Hey, Henry,

In early 2017, both Travlin and I posted info/articles on our Forum about a Golden Boy test, where a guy shot 28,000 .22LR rounds without cleaning the rifle. There is some interesting reading here. Also if you are able to get the paper edition of the magazine, "Guns of the Old West," you would see those incredible photos of one dirty Henry rimfire!! :o

Very cool 8-) articles and photos in the magazine of this amazing test. Here are the web links for our threads:

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... nds#p33860

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... est#p35896

I'm certain your "nicely fouled" H001M barrel was absolutely zip dirty compared to that Golden Boy! :lol:
PT7
henry22 wrote:Don't know why I'm sharing this, it's not that exciting, but yesterday I put 200 rounds through my rifle - with an exquisitely clean barrel. The first few shots were low as they always are, I didn't touch the scope, then after about 10 rounds, things started to tighten up again. Maybe 3 clicks up, and I was in bullseye business again.

When I got home, I wiped the outside of the barrel, lever, trigger, wood, and put it away.

Today, with a nicely fouled barrel, I put another 100 through it over about 4 hours. To my surprise, THIS time, I hit bullseye the first shot, and continued to do so for the rest of the afternoon, and numerous small potatoes.

I'm dumbfounded, I thought cleaning your rifle after every range trip was good practice. Having not cleaned it after 200 rounds, It's never been this accurate. I'm not going to clean it at all now. I'll wait until I'm up around 800 or 1000 rounds, or until the barrel is so fouled it won't hold accuracy, then I'll clean it.

Unreal.
1 x

~Пока~

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Petey » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:15 pm

Sometimes it pays off to be a little dirty..... :lol:
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:56 pm

yeah, mind blowing, and simpler. Shoot it lots, let it get dirty, until it doesn't shoot straight, then clean. Very liberating.

Wow, 28 thousand rounds! That's crazy. I used to obsess about keeping my rifle clinically clean and lubed. No more, too much work.

Thanks for posting those links, I'll definitely check those out.

Yes I think it does pay to be a little dirty, everything is like that isn't it?

Broken in worn jeans vs new,
Worn in drum heads
Dirty cymbals sound better than new ones
And guns!
0 x