Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Why do I need a .22 mag

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Why do I need a .22 mag

Post by Henry88 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:12 pm

Hey guys stumbled across this and found it interesting. Lets take a look at a CCI .22LR Velocitor 40g vs .22WMR Gamepoint 40g.
.22 table.jpg
At first, looking at velocity, the two don't appear all that different, at least to me. But the story is told in the second two boxes, with the WMR having a full 70% more energy at 100yds and a much flatter trajectory.

I think WMR does a nice job of filling that void between 22 rimfire and centerfire, at least that's why I bought mine.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/compare.aspx
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Why do I need a .22 mag

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:17 pm

The .22WMR is a big improvement over the LR and a .17HMR is even better for 100 yards.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:56 pm

I recently bought the Henry SGC in 22 mag and I hesitated for quite a while before I did. But not sorry I did now. I figured if I ended up doing some traveling in the future it would be a good gun to take along for any kind of vermit shooting I would want to do. Not to mention its small and light weight.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:06 pm

0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:50 pm

It appears to be a fair comparison of LR vs Mag fired from pistols and it was very interesting to see his results. Thanks for the link.

However, I couldn't help but notice that the shooter clearly didn't wear any eye protection and; while it's difficult to tell, he did not appear to even have been using any ear protection.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:00 am

I always wear both. I even wear ear protection when mowing the lawn or even vacuuming.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:31 am

I must offer my 2 cents, owning both a Henry H001M and CZ 455 Varmint, bull barrel in .17 HMR. I love them both dearly, but there's something so exacting about the .17 that makes the Henry more "fun". You have to learn how to shoot the Henry. The CZ is point and shoot and it just hits whatever you're aiming at.

The Henry H001M being lighter does have a hair of recoil, enough that the rifle jerks when you shoot it - as most of you already know this. But I love learning where to hold it over a target, how to rest it, cheek into the comb, chin on the left ear of the rear bag, totally relaxed, and KAPOW. Fun! I love learning how to shoot it, almost as much as just shooting it.

The Henry is so short, handles well, (although I wish it was a bit beefier, all steel, and about 60-70% percent the size and mass of the all steel Big Boys, and with a wider chunkier forend

Either way, it's just so damn fun to shoot. 22LR is fun, 22 mag is funner'er. I love the crack it provides, and makes it feel like it's a bigger cartridge than it is.

And of course, if you're rifle is rested and well secured, and you can sight a 1" potato at 100 yards, when you smash it, it's so awesome.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:36 pm

I've always enjoyed the 22 mag, though, to be honest, I never found the extra power to be that useful for my hunting. The 22 mag was way too much for squirrel and rabbit and when I needed more than a 22 LR, I just went to a centerfire round. Still, I enjoyed the extra snap of the 22 mag and I do regard it as being more at home for 100 yard shooting than the 22 LR. Back in the day when I was hunting, not much of a selection for 22 mag loadings, but things are better, now. I do think the 22 mg is a legitimate option for varmint and pest control for those who want to stay with rimfire.

Right now, our only 22 mag is one of our Winchester/Miroku Low Wall Hunters, but, by luck of the draw, its the most accurate 22 mag I've ever owned. Pretty tough NOT to like the 22 mag with a gun like this.
3 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:21 pm

OMG, that is beautiful NCG, I want one! Is that every beautifully styled. Hmmm, where can I find one of these?

Is that an octagon barrel on there?

And is that a rolling block model?
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:21 pm

This is one of the current Winchester 1885 Low Wall reproductions made by Miroku. The 1885 Winchester is a later and more advanced falling block single shot design than the rolling block Remingtons. (The 1885 Winchester was actually John Browning's first design. It started his association with Winchester.) This version is Icalled the Rimfire Hunter. See some of my old range reports on these guns. Yes, it has an octagonal barrel, but it is a slim, tapered octagonal barrel to keep weight reasonable and balance appropriate for nice handling.

Note that these are very expensive guns, so production is limited for their very limited market, namely for single shot addicts like me. You really have to be a little nutty to spend so much for a single shot rimfire, but that's me. Exquisite quality rifles, though. Our 1885 reproductions are the pride of our collection.
1 x