Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

H001M accuracy inconsistencies — SOLVED

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Re: H001M accuracy inconsistencies — SOLVED

Post by Les » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:03 am

It just goes to prove that the best rifles in the world can be badly let down by something as simple as a poor scope mount or a faulty scope, and it's not always the "cheap and cheerful" components that give the most problems.
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:42 am

bandit1250 & Les, I agree 100% now, but before I had no clue about how scopes work etc. And now I'm Leupold convert for life. Not just because of this experience, but every Leupold I've ever sighted in a store, is astoundingly clear and bright. Now I don't feel like I need 12X magnification, 9X is plenty with the VX Freedom, because it's that much clearer and brighter.

I'm a newer shooter, this Henry was the first rifle I've ever purchased, last October. My friends were kind of laughing at it a bit, calling it a "fun" plinking rifle - which it is, but if you get to know it intimately, where to hold, absolute stillness on the rest, it'll do what it was designed to do. It shoots better than me, so there's the proof.

Ironically, the VX Freedom was $289 CDN with 10% off at the hunting store I go to. I didn't find that expensive at all. I recall the VX1's being even more than that, but maybe I'm wrong.

And the icing on the cake, is that when I called Vortex Canada yesterday, I explained the scopes behavior, and they told me to ship it to them, that they'd likely just send me a new one. If they do, when I get it, I'll sell it, and buy more ammo!
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:46 am

Now have a couple those Leupold Freedom scopes and, have to say, I am impressed with the optics. Leupold fans tend be a conservative bunch and grumble a bit when Leupold messes with their favorite scope lines, but I think this Freedom line is a home run.
2 x

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:55 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Now have a couple those Leupold Freedom scopes and, have to say, I am impressed with the optics. Leupold fans tend be a conservative bunch and grumble a bit when Leupold messes with their favorite scope lines, but I think this Freedom line is a home run.
X2

Just put a Leupold VX Freedom Rimfire 3-9x40 on a new CZ 452 22LR and I agree - the optics are really nice. I had read some internet chatter about Leupold's Freedom line being easier for Leupold to mass produce and that maybe there would be some quality issues, but that's not the case - I think these are really nice scopes and well worth the price...
2 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:55 pm

I really love this Freedom model. It's basic, simple and clean. My only 1 minor comment on it, (and it's minor) is I wish they made it with a fine cross-hair reticle. Basically this: https://www.eabco.net/assets/images/Target%20Dot.jpg

But I'm not complaining.
1 x

Danwin22
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Danwin22 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:41 pm

Sure like the look of that Hawke mount. Should work on my Winchester 9422 with a 3-9 x 40 Nikon.
0 x
USAF 1958-62, NRA Member, CWP

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:30 am

henry22 wrote:
Interesting side note: I had purchased 50 rounds of the Federal 50 grain hollow points in 22 mag, and when I tried to place them in the same bullseye where the previous CCI 40 grain maxi-mags were, the Federal was low by about 3—3.5 inches. I wasn't expecting that.
That's just the difference in Bullet weight. I have found about a one inch difference in POI for each 5 grains with my Magnum when sighting at 25 yards (ie...the 30gr rounds will hit ~1 1/2" higher than the 40gr, which hit about 1" higher than the 45gr rounds). Any time you change ammo, you will likely need a quick adjustment to your scope as well.

Good to see you found your problem...
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:20 pm

Roddy, it was a new experience for me, and the more I shoot this Henry, the more I get to know it. Last weekend, and this weekend, I put about 175 rounds through it, both weekends.

Regarding repeatable accuracy...

What North Country Girl has said is absolutely true, if you rest the underside of the receiver on the front rest, so that the trigger guard is almost touching the front of the bag, and make sure your rear bag is dead still, it changes everything. I keep falling in love with this rifle, because a lot of the fun is had from learning HOW to shoot it, trigger touch, resting your chin on the rear rest, while pinching the ears with your left hand, etc, makes the rifle so much more accurate.

I've discovered that my "inaccurate shooting" since the Leupold Freedom has been put on with a Hawke 4 bolt rail, is ME - and the rear rest. At the range I go to, they have 2X4's as the table top, and the gaps in them don't make for a flat even surface, so you have to compensate with how you keep the rear rest steady. I think soon I'm going to splurge on one of these: http://www.edgebag.com/OrigGrab.JPG

I need something solid on the bottom, hard leather bottom, or better still, rubber, like a new car tire, with deep narrow ears, so I don't have to squeeze the ears. These bags look amazing. No more sliding around with my nylon Caldwell rear bag. They work, just ok. I was thinking of modifying mine, remove the bottom stitching, and sew a hard leather square onto the bottom so it's flat. But the ears spread to much, and they're too mushy. I want a rear bag that fits tightly around the Henry stock.
0 x