Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Jammed rimfire --- How dangerous is it?

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Jammed rimfire --- How dangerous is it?

Post by PT7 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:22 am

So as not to de-rail the thread posted by Bugs http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4582 , I'd like to ask you guys & gals to share any good advice or your methods used to safely extract a misfired rimfire cartridge. I am curious because I've had this happen, although rare, with my .22LR Henry, and a little more often with a .22LR Ruger semi-auto. I've not focused on the potential danger when pulling at a live cartridge, because I have tunnel vision and only want to "get it out of the gun." Guess I'm saying that I don't think through any safety factors first. My bad.

What helped me "see" my tunnel vision is this. In the "nose dive" thread, albin225's response is a pretty strong warning from my perspective: "...extreme caution..." <and> "...especially rimfire..."
So, albin225, could you expand on your comments, either from experience, or the "whys" for such an definitive warning?

OK. The reason I ask is that answers I've read elsewhere are at opposite ends of the pole. As an example, one forum thread had these very clear differences (copied below, exactly as stated). I've included the OPs original question; there were a total of 16 responses to the question, and I've posted only 9 of them:
~~~QUESTION -- What is the best way to remove a misfired (still potentially live) rimfire round from a gun when it is still in the chamber with the action open?

ANSWERS
~~~Just don't use any "sharp" movements. Rimfire isn't all that sensitive.

~~~.Prying it out is not going to subject the rim to enough pressure to fire the round assuming you don't go all Incredible Hulk on it.

~~~It's probably not gonna go off, unless you use a really ridiculous amount of force.

~~~I'd be very leary of prying an already-struck rimfire cartridge out by that same rim unless it's extremely loose.

~~~Just use your fingernail or a pocket knife blade and flip it out.
It ain't rocket science.
And it ain't gonna go off.

~~~Fingernail, small flathead screwdriver or knife blade. Zero chance of you causing it to go off.

~~~I reiterate the recommendation not to fool with the rim of an already-struck rimfire unless already extremely loose. For one thing you may have sensitized the primer compound that you are prying around. For the other, you necessarily have your eyes on/near that open breech/cartridge.

~~~There is no "safe" way to approach this..... a live primer is all kinds of bad.
Appreciate any further insight from all you Henry folk. Seems to me an important issue.
PT7
albin25 wrote:Use extreme caution prying on a live cartridge, especially rimfire....

That admonishment aside, that looks exactly like what I had to deal with, when my cousin accidentally loaded one cartridge backwards. :oops:
1 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Jammed rimfire --- How dangerous is it?

Post by Sir Henry » Wed May 30, 2018 9:38 am

I use a small screwdriver and since the primer end is usually in place I just gently pry the bullet end down (or up).
Signed,
Four Fingers Gene
3 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed May 30, 2018 10:19 am

My basic rule concerning all gun issues is that the gun is dangerous until you, personally, prove, otherwise.

That said, in a lifetime of shooting rimfires, I've never had one ignite without the help of a firing pin and I've cleared many hundreds of jams in that time frame. Of course, it's only common sense not to extract a rimfire cartridge by the rim, only the body, with a jam. It really takes a sharp blow in the exact right spot to set off a rimfire round and that's very unlikely to happen when clearing a round - unless you get stupid and try to force something. Over 100 years of shooting rimfire ammo has proven that it is remarkably safe to handle. If it were not, we'd know it by now.

I think the most important issue when handling a jammed gun, is to continue to keep it pointed in a safe direction. That can be overlooked (and I seen it overlooked, many times by other shooters) when trying to clear a jam.
6 x

albin25
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by albin25 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:33 am

1 x
Welcome to my home..........FYI... that locked door you kicked down was for your protection....not mine.

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:32 pm

Yeah it kind of sounds like "the harrison man" could have hung himself with his own guitar strings :lol:

Excellent thread that went unnoticed and thanks to NCG for the info
1 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:03 pm

If the action is open and the bullet is not in the chamber/rifling seems like there would not be enough pressure to push that bullet at much velocity. For example a round put in a fire would discharge but without a barrel to contain and direct the propellant blast the bullet is not going to travel at much velocity. You may suffer some minor injuries especially without eye protection but I can't see how there would be any lethal effect. I would be more concerned with fragments of the case causing injury more than the bullet and again seriously doubt there would be any lethal effect.
3 x