Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New SGC What The Heck Nose DIve

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

New SGC What The Heck Nose DIve

Post by Bugs » Tue May 29, 2018 4:05 pm

Took the new Henry SGC out for a test run today. Just to note it is an hours drive to my outdoor range. Was having some fun until a round nose dived at a 45 degree angle after 20 rounds. Tried to gently pry it out but No Bueno. Wife never got to shoot it. had to take it home and take it apart to get the round out. Figured I'd do a complete detail strip and clean while I had it completely apart. Took it out back after I reassembled and she seems to shoot fine. Thinking it was just a bad round as the bullet was loose and cockeyed in the casing; although this may be from trying to pry it out. Time will tell. Fun gun to shoot when it runs. :lol:
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: New SGC What The Heck Nose DIve

Post by JEBar » Tue May 29, 2018 6:29 pm

interesting .... looking forward to your coming comments as you run more rounds through it
1 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Tue May 29, 2018 6:34 pm

I'm not giving up on it yet. Fun gun for sure. I think it was bad ammo.
0 x

albin25
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by albin25 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:57 pm

Use extreme caution prying on a live cartridge, especially rimfire....

That admonishment aside, that looks exactly like what I had to deal with, when my cousin accidentally loaded one cartridge backwards. :oops:
0 x
Welcome to my home..........FYI... that locked door you kicked down was for your protection....not mine.

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Wed May 30, 2018 7:43 am

That has happened to me on occasion with my Golden Boy. In my case, it is not the gun's fault. It has usually been due to not cycling the lever with authority...ie: not getting the lever all the way forward before pulling back. It's not the easiest gun to dig a round out of.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed May 30, 2018 9:34 am

albin25 wrote:Use extreme caution prying on a live cartridge, especially rimfire....

That admonishment aside, that looks exactly like what I had to deal with, when my cousin accidentally loaded one cartridge backwards. :oops:
If you use the slot in the tube you can never load them backwards. Loading with the inner tube out and down the end and you can load backwards.
roddy wrote:That has happened to me on occasion with my Golden Boy. In my case, it is not the gun's fault. It has usually been due to not cycling the lever with authority...ie: not getting the lever all the way forward before pulling back. It's not the easiest gun to dig a round out of.
Almost always the bullet end sticks up not down when I soft cycle. I would suspect a weak spring or a burr somewhere. :?:
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Wed May 30, 2018 12:39 pm

I know for a fact that no rounds were loaded backwards.
There were some small metal shavings in the rifle when I took it apart.
I did a complete detail strip cleaned, lubed and checked all the mechanics and everything seems to be working normally.
I took it out back after the above and ran 5 rounds through it with no issues so we'll see.
If it ever stops raining here I'll run a few hundred rounds through it and see how it does. May have been a bad round as the bullet was canted sideways in the case when I removed it, but then again I can't say with any surety that that did not occur either from the nose dive or my attempts to remove the round.
0 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Wed May 30, 2018 7:53 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
roddy wrote:That has happened to me on occasion with my Golden Boy. In my case, it is not the gun's fault. It has usually been due to not cycling the lever with authority...ie: not getting the lever all the way forward before pulling back. It's not the easiest gun to dig a round out of.
Almost always the bullet end sticks up not down when I soft cycle. I would suspect a weak spring or a burr somewhere. :?:
You are most likely correct...However, I do remember at least one that went nose-down because I recall looking at it and thinking "how the hell did that happen?!". That one was also a bit of a pain to dig out.
0 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:43 pm

Took the SGC to the range again today. Shot a little over a hundred rounds today with no issues using CCI and Federal Bulk 22. Just for curiosity I shot some of the offending ammo "Winchester 555 bulk" and had another round bend in the casing at a 30 degree angle. So I'm happy to report it is just some crappy ammo not the gun. Managed to get the bad round out easily and went about happily shooting the good stuff. Threw the rest of the Winchester (only about 20 rounds left) out. This little carbine is a hoot to shoot, runs so smooth and accurate once I got the Skinner Peep adjusted right. It was shooting a little high and left but a little tweeking took care of that. Starting to get used to the Skinner and really like the sight now that I have got to use it a bit. Anyone who is thinking about getting a .22 Small Game Carbine should just do it. I'm giving this rifle a 2 thumbs way up. :D :D
4 x

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Petey » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:37 pm

Happy to hear it was just the ammo. I love my SGC.

Happy SHootin!
Petey
1 x