Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

forestock removal/replace

Redstickboy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

forestock removal/replace

Post by Redstickboy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:56 pm

I removed my forestock to polish wax it. The retainer ring came off relatively easy after removing the screw. BUT when I reinstalled the stock, the retaining ring didn't want to go back on as easily as it came off and I scratched the end of the stock. What did I do wrong? I am thinking of contacting Henry and see if they will sell me a regular(non-fancy) fore grip but until I am sure i can get the retainer ring on without scratching the grip I'll wait. I wound up having to "persuade the ring with a hardwood dowel and a small a hammer. Not a pretty sight! Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated. On a positive note, Mequire's Scratch X scratch remover for clear coat really smoother out the finis and some Ren wax finished the job.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: forestock removal/replace

Post by GFK » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:06 am

Sorry about your situation. But, glad you were able to smooth out things. I have not removed my forearm. Thought about. But, I thought it would be a simple process. I can understand. I experienced something similar reinstalling my the trigger assembly. A little of the bluing rubbed off on the tip of the screw during the process. Contacting Henry might prove to be worthwhile. Although, one might think such a thing would not be necessary. Would like to know the outcome though.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).