Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Need a bit on advice on a new Rimfire

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Need a bit on advice on a new Rimfire

Post by Mistered » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:50 am

I wouldn't be surprised if we are on the eve for the next ammo crunch. Thank God for the NRA!
No offense toward the NRA but their influence didn't keep the shelves stocked during the last ammo 'crunch'.
3 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:57 am

I had a Henry .22 Magnum Lever Action (H001M), but regretfully sold it in 2015.
Did I highlight the key word well enough?!? :lol: It was much fun to shoot, and for me, quite an accurate rifle.

From what I've read, the .17 HMR is a more accurate ammo. But that depends whether or not small groups and longer-distance accuracy is your goal. Also agree that the .22 Magnum ammo is more spendy.

Bottom line, I like your decision to buy both calibers! Go for it, and enjoy. :)
0 x

~Пока~

TommyMac
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by TommyMac » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:16 am

I was at my LGS last Saturday and ordered a GB .17 HMR. It will be my first Henry. He ordered it but has no idea when it will be in. He told me it is listed as a back order with no date given when it will be in.
2 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:56 am

TommyMac wrote:I was at my LGS last Saturday and ordered a GB .17 HMR. It will be my first Henry. He ordered it but has no idea when it will be in. He told me it is listed as a back order with no date given when it will be in.
Welcome to the forum from CT and congratulations on ordering your first Henry. Keep us posted.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Supplies~~~

Post by Catherine » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:30 pm

I never owned a .17 caliber firearm.

I do know a few people who own them but only online not in person. They love them and some people like a friend of mine in Idaho prefer that caliber for some shooting. Veteran buddy.

I never had an interest in that caliber and I mean no offense to any person.

I did enjoy shooting the 22 wmr caliber in my former Henry Golden Boy. I had one HGB rifle in 22lr too.

Outstanding rifles! In fact, when I was scaling down in ALL of my firearms not just AFTER I got out of ALL of my handguns even BEFORE my arthritis got worse, I considered going mainly to the 22wmr RIFLE as my Primary Rifle CALIBER in the HGB for a time frame. I had already decided to stick to RF only firearms for myself.

But I changed my mind AGAIN and thought that in the long run... 22lr would be my primary - mainstay caliber.

Anyway...

My solution was to BUY a bunch of 22wmr ammo before that 'special order' HGB rifle arrived in 22wmr. This was right before the CT murders by a month or so if my memory serves me right.

I used up a BUNCH of full in store credit money from our gun sales for the HGB rifle and ammo. (I or we had money left over for other products too.)

So I had enough 22 wmr ammunition on hand for several years and some 22 wmr ammo left over when we sold the HGB 22lr and 22 wmr rifles. I sold my left over 22wmr ammunition at My Cost to people that I knew (Friends.) and one last box that I held onto in one ad. I sold that at cost too. I had a BUNCH of people asking for it even though I marked my ad as sold and removed the ad. I could have charged much more for it and gotten it but I did not do this. I kept my receipts and I ALWAYS keep a written log of supplies for guns, ammo, my husband's stuff, etc.

Anyway, I LOVED shooting the 22wmr cartridge and if my physical issues were not a pain, no pun intended, I would have kept those heavier HGB rifles.

I rarely EVER shot 22wmr out of my former Ruger single action (22lr/22wmr) convertible revolvers. I used to just keep a box or two of ammo for them back east and out here.

My MT husband likes the 22wmr caliber but when he scaled down in ALL of his firearm calibers over the years... he decided to just keep his one and only .223 caliber bolt action rifle and he added a CZ .223 bolt action to that one rifle. He kept a few 22lr rifles. He had already SOLD his last 22 wmr bolt action rifle years before that time frame. He was the one who convinced me to try a rifle out in the 22wmr caliber and he was right. I loved it!

I think that things will get STUPID again in ammo and in some other firearm supplies. Fake/Real Shortages. So if you shoot a box of ammo - replace it immediately if you already do not keep a supply of stock on hand. I always replaced what I shot even as a Newbie in the late 90's.

Make a spread sheet if you are a high, medium or low shooter. If you shoot alone or if you have a family who shoots with you. If you can keep a years worth of 'whatever' on hand... do it.

I used to plan (And still do.) my RF shooting supplies and budget one year ahead when I was a HIGH volume shooter back east and out here. I did stock up on CF ammo back east and some out here but NOT as much as I did with RF ammo. When I got out of ALL of my CF firearms especially in handguns... I stocked up far more in RF ammo.

I do not reload. My late husband did not reload. My MT husband does reload.

We continued to shoot when things were 'short' because we had planned ahead but we still watched what we shot. Plus my MT husband shoots CF firearms the most and he reloads. Over 40 years.

Crazy times...

He had enough reloading supplies on hand and he even shared with friends when it came to supplies. LESS calibers for my husband = less reloading supplies. He sold some good sealed powders, good brass and good reloading bullets for calibers that he no longer owned. He gave some gifts to close friends too. He gave some good primers to a close friend too.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best!

Improvise, adapt and overcome.

Costs will only go up due to inflation over time in my opinion.

I shoot far, far LESS now. MY needs and wants are very, very LOW in shooting and in all other things. My husband shoots far MORE often since he is retired. Not quite as many rounds per week as when he used to compete a LOT before his 24/7 former work schedule screwed that up.

Cate
Typos! I can't type worth squat when my hands ache.
Last edited by Catherine on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:41 pm

PS:

Out here... 22wmr was as short as .17 during the fake/real !!! shortages.

For a brief time frame, you could find .17 ammunition but that went bye, bye as time went on too.

I think that it depends on your individual state stores and even where you live within one state. That differs a lot and it did even in this LARGE STATE. I used to keep a few records on this for a couple of years on this 'story'. I used to look online for this story too. I used to call some stores in MT, WY, ID, WA, and OR too. We have friends in the gun business. Not just in stores (Managers/Owners) but some who do shows too.

So if I had a choice between 22 wmr and .17 calibers... I would still go to the 22 wmr caliber IF I still owned that heavier HGB.

Out here during those crazy times... one was not cheaper than the other one and I have NO clue what the .17 costs in this current climate and date.

Good shooting to you and enjoy your HENRY rifles!

Cate
Typos!
1 x

RudyN
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by RudyN » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:57 pm

I finally got to my LGS and they only had a 22Mag in stock so I bought it. It is the Ducks Unlimited Commemorative. I will probably go back in a few weeks and have them order the 17HMR for me. Being addicted to Henrys can become expensive. :mrgreen:
2 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:04 am

Congrats on your new HENRY rifle!

Good shooting to you.

Cate
0 x