Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Im Curious 22mag

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Im Curious 22mag

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:50 pm

I havent pulled the trigger on the 22 mag yet as I am questioning myself on how much I would shoot it. But I do know that I just bought some 22 mag ammo because I have a pistol that shoots it and Im in that at .18 cents a shot shipped to my front door. Al
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:55 pm

Mostly depends on what a person wants to use it for, and all the posts so far reflect many different uses, likes and dislikes. If you'd like a .22 Magnum plinker, BigAl, I'd say go for it and enjoy. And I can verify that a Henry .22 Magnum would be a good choice.

I had a Henry .22 Magnum lever action model (H001M) back in 2015, and it was my fun plinker rifle. Never used it to hunt. Plenty of very fun range days (had it for a year) shooting at tin cans and black steel targets, as well as a ground reactive target. The sound of a .22 Magnum shot out of a rifle and hitting steel is really cool. This Henry was one I had to let go due to some budget needs back then. There are those days I wish it still were in my gun cabinet. It sure was a beautiful Henry and a great shooter. :)
BigAl52 wrote:Ive been thinking about a small game carbine in 22 mag. So you 22 mag lovers out there are how many of you are using them to plink with vs only using them to hunt vermits with. Just would like to see how often you are shooting yours for just plinking. Al
1 x

~Пока~

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:07 am

I have the Henry H001TM version .22mag rifle. I do use mine for shooting groundhogs, crows, and occasional coyote. I also do some plinking with mine and as mentioned earlier, it is fun to shoot steel targets. I didn't shoot mine often when the ammo was scarce but now I probably shoot it as often as I do the BBS .357.

When I bought mine, I also considered the .17 but was afraid that cartridge would fade away or be hard to find down the road. Not the first time I have been wrong but I do not regret buying the .22mag.

I usually shoot CCI 40 gr. Maxi Mag hollow points or the Remington 40 grain hollow points. I also like the Remington 33 grain V-Max and the CCI and Hornady 30 grain V-Max ammunition.
1 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:29 pm

I groundhog hunted for years with a Mossberg 'Chuckster' in .22wmr. I have also taken a coyote with it. A pack of feral dogs was driven off and sent scampering one time, too.
While some rifles are picky about the ammo, the round itself is fine.
I have a bunch of Winchester and CCI ammo bought years ago at much lower prices, though, so cost isn't really a factor. If I was buying it now my opinion may be different, of course.
I like the little extra oomph the wmr has over the LR, while still being soft spoken.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:43 am

Most of my plinking is empty cans. Obviously, I don't shoot glass or anything that makes too much of a mess. So it makes no sense to shoot cans with a WMR. It's also too loud. It also doesn't make sense to shoot cans with a .308 or .223 either, though.

It is true that I don't shoot my WMR as much as the LR. It's not due to the cost, however, but due to the noise.

I see on wikiarms that WMR is down to about $0.15, slightly less in bulk, and that is not so bad. The good stuff is still at about $0.20.
1 x