Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

H001 vrs H001L carbine

H.lake
Tenderfoot
United States of America

H001 vrs H001L carbine

Post by H.lake » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:04 am

Hi all, I am a new member to the forum. I am 60 years old and recently had to take a disability retirement from work due to spine problems. I want to get back into squirrel hunting and I want to get a Henry .22. I really like the carbine for its light weight and large loop lever but I don't want to give up accuracy for the lighter weight. Is there much difference in accuracy between the two? Thanks in advance for any input
1 x

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: H001 vrs H001L carbine

Post by JCN » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:36 am

I'll leave your question to our rimfire experts. Just wanted to say Welcome to the forum from Nevada!

Please feel free to introduce yourself in the new member section.
1 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

SGC
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by SGC » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:21 am

I have the small game carbine in .22 and .22 mag. Both are very smooth and accurate. I knew I was giving up a little sight radius and a little muzzle velocity with the carbines, but given the skinner peep and the quicker and more balanced feel of the shorter barrel, I have no regrets. The H001 Carbine is even lighter, but has the buckhorn sights instead of the peeps. I am close to 60 as well and these are perfect when I need an accurate .22. Good luck.
1 x
H001TLP-H012MR-H001TMLP-H001ML

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:18 am

More weight in a rimfire, assuming you can still manage that weight, is an advantage for the shooter, since it provides more stability and tends to dampen errors in hold and trigger technique. That doesn't mean a light gun isn't accurate, however. A light gun just needs to be shot with more attention given to good form. I have some light rimfires that can give me the same size groups as my heavy varmint rimfires on a day when I'm at my top form. Any quality rimfire, regardless of weight, should provide all the accuracy you would ever need for small game hunting.

If you're shooting iron sights, and only if you are shooting iron sights, a long barrel gives the shooter another advantage with it's greater distance between rear and front sight (sighting radius). This allows for a more precise hold with the sights. However, a long barrel is no more inherently accurate than a short barrel and, in fact, a case can be made that a short barrel can sometimes be even more accurate than a long barrel, since a short barrel tends to vibrate more consistently, shot to shot.

A long barrel will offer more velocity, but only up to a point. Beyond that, a long barrel can actually reduce velocity. With a 22 LR, there is very little difference in velocity between a 16.25" barrel and a 20" barrel. For most 22 LR loads, peak velocity is typically reached somewhere between those lengths.
4 x

H.lake
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by H.lake » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:14 pm

Thanks to all for the helpful replies and good information. I think I'm going to order the carbine because I want to keep the weight down as much as possible. I am going to scope it with a Leupold 2-7 rimfire lightweight scope and rings. I am going to use this gun to hunt squirrels with my new Feist squirrel dog-Lap dog Gi Gi!!
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:32 pm

H.lake wrote:I am going to use this gun to hunt squirrels with my new Feist squirrel dog-Lap dog Gi Gi!!
welcome indeed, delighted to have you join our forum .... looking forward to your range and hunting reports .... please post pictures when you can, specially of your carbine and wonder dog .. :D ..... also, take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=430
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:52 am

H.lake wrote:Thanks to all for the helpful replies and good information. I think I'm going to order the carbine because I want to keep the weight down as much as possible. I am going to scope it with a Leupold 2-7 rimfire lightweight scope and rings. I am going to use this gun to hunt squirrels with my new Feist squirrel dog-Lap dog Gi Gi!!
That should be a good combination.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

kentgoldings
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by kentgoldings » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:04 pm

I have an H001 with a larger lever loop. Works good on squirrels.

3 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:11 pm

kentgoldings wrote:I have an H001 with a larger lever loop. Works good on squirrels.
Thanks for sharing that photo with us and welcome to the forum from CT. Glad you joined the conversation.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:21 pm

Welcome to the forum. I do like that sling setup you've got.
0 x