Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Oh Henry!

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Oh Henry!

Post by Petey » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:18 pm

The Manteca Store is a nice one. Rocklin store is a hoot. There's one old timer there that just gets me ....Any hand gun you ask for ,he'll say they don't have it ....so I always ask for something that's right in front of him = Don't have that one ....Oh ---what's that right there? UH hum ....must have just gotten it. LOL>>> My wife and I get a kick outta him.
I do believe I'll be picking up the phone tomorrow.....Not at all pleased with the prospect of waiting another week or three. No sir.
Was wanting a Big boy CCH in 357... Me thinks I'll be putting it on the back burner for a spell.
Last edited by Petey on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:27 pm

Sorry. I was not trying to step on any toes. I admit, there is always room for improvement. I consider myself a so-so shot. But, hope to get better with time. It was just a thought. For me, I typically shoot low. Most of the time, it has not been an issue. Now that I have more time to practice, I hoping to be more dead on. I am not in competition. So if I bring down a deer and not harm anything else, I consider it good.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Petey » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:53 pm

GFK wrote:Sorry. I was not trying to step on any toes. I admit, there is always room for improvement. I consider myself a so-so shot. But, hope to get better with time. It was just a thought. For me, I typically shoot low. Most of the time, it has not been an issue. Now that I have more time to practice, I hoping to be more dead on. I am not in competition. So if I bring down a deer and not harm anything else, I consider it good.
Step on toes? Nothing you said was taken that way . Sorry if I seemed cross. All is fine.

Personally , I think being a so so shot is a blessing....you can only get better.

Happy Shootin!
Petey
0 x

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Petey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:10 pm

Well everyone at Henry is busy traveling from one show to another.....I was fortunate too get in touch with Patrick = Super Guy. Very Pleasant to speak with and best of all He Got it Handled! Better yet , My rifle is going to be shipped within the next 24 hrs. I say great !
Now I just have to wait for it to arrive .....Having been feeling pretty flat about this purchase , I can certainly say things are looking up .

Will update when I get my rifle back.
HAppy SHootin!
Petey
3 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:49 pm

mlrifleNY wrote:The only 2 background checks I just went through took about 10 minutes to fill out the paper work and a few more to get approved and I walked out with the rifle.

Jim
I've had a CCW since 1968 in 5 states . Pa , Ca , Az , Tn and now in Tx . I have trouble pasting a instant back ground check and it take me a day or so to get cleared to buy a gun 50% of the time . My CCW allow me to get a gun in some states without the back ground check . I have lots of carry guns and a waiting period is a joke for most gun owners .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Auriemma
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Auriemma » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:54 pm

Maybe I'm just picky, but when I look to purchase a gun (handgun or rifle), I go over it with a fine tooth comb. Anything that is wrong sends it back to the shelf. Since you cannot return it, you really need to inspect it thoroughly. I know you're excited, want it badly, and you want it now, but you really have too look hard at what your buying. The alternative takes even more time.

Sorry for your troubles. I'm sure Henry will sort you out.
0 x
Joe
Henry Golden Boy 22LR || CZ 455 Varmint || Ruger 10/22 Custom Build || Ruger 10/22 stock
Sig P320RX 9mm

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:02 pm

Maybe I'm just picky, but when I look to purchase a gun (handgun or rifle), I go over it with a fine tooth comb.
No, you are being cautious. I often read about how someone looked over a new firearm purchase only to discover problems or missing parts later that should have been obvious at the time of the inspection! One of my jobs where I work is to receive new RVs for stock and upon delivery I have two inspectors that go over them with a fine tooth comb for any losses, damages or manufacturing issues.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:28 pm

Auriemma wrote:Maybe I'm just picky, but when I look to purchase a gun (handgun or rifle), I go over it with a fine tooth comb. Anything that is wrong sends it back to the shelf. Since you cannot return it, you really need to inspect it thoroughly. I know you're excited, want it badly, and you want it now, but you really have too look hard at what your buying. The alternative takes even more time.

Sorry for your troubles. I'm sure Henry will sort you out.
I don't think you're being picky, either, or even cautious. More like buying smart. You can save yourself a ton of time and frustration by doing a basic inspection before laying out money for a gun. It takes some education on your part to know what to look for on a specific model, but it's worth the effort.

To be sure, you can't spot every potential defect while examining a gun in a store, but when you see sloppy construction on the external parts of a gun and/or find one with a lousy trigger, you can be darn sure there wasn't much attention paid to fitting internal parts, either. We go though a lot of guns, buying and trading and spend a lot of time shooting them. Based on my experience, there are now very few brands of guns that I will order and buy sight, unseen. If I do order a gun, I insist on the right of refusal if it doesn't pass inspection upon arrival.

Yeah, it's all too easy to get excited and in a hurry to buy a new gun and then overlook some things in your rush to get the gun home and start shooting, but I've learned the hard way how important it is to slow down and get critical.

Lastly, don't assume that just because you are buying, new, you're avoiding a lot of potential issues. It may come as a surprise to some, but my track record for reliability with new guns is actually no better and, with some brands, actually worse than my track record of buying older vintage used guns. Just the difference in the way guns are being produced, these days.
0 x

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Petey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:00 pm

Well , I got my rifle back .
In short , Henry Blew it.
E-mailed Mr. Anthony and the CSR Patrick .... will see what transpires .

The score board:
+Sighting = fixed
+ wood now matches and is pleasing to the eye
- Receiver cover now scratched
- Stock screw that goes through the tang....for some reason is not long enough to stand proud of the tang as it did previously. screw is tight , but barley held on by a thread.literally.
- stock fitment better in one area --- worse in another . As per CSR my receiver is the issue - out of spec. To his credit offered to replace the firearm ...live in Ca= major PIB ====10 day wait all over again $35 fee , having to file paperwork with the State DOJ and driving 30 min each way to FFL multiple times. I assure you , you would have not taken this option straight away.

BTW - I have a fourth Henry stashed in the closet .....was going to be Valentines Day gift to my wife.....She see's what going on with my H001 ...How happy will she be to get a Henry ?..............
Bottom line --- I now have two Henry Rifles I don't know what to do with!

Not Happy ,
Petey.
0 x

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Petey » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:11 am

I heard from Mr. Imperato this morning. = Patrick will be in touch with me and we'll explore some options.
Greatly appreciate the prompt response . Truly wish my contacting Mr Imperato was under better circumstances , But as I stated the prompt reply is much appreciated. Thank you!
0 x