Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Oh Henry!

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Oh Henry!

Post by Petey » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:47 am

I purchased a new H001 Classic for myself just prior to Christmas.... was thrilled to have found one close by , seeing as how the next gun shop that had one was over an hour away. I quickly filled out my 4473 and proceeded to wait out the mandatory 10 day jail sentence.
Ding ! Time is up .....Rescue my poor little Henry = ASAP!!!
Got it home , cleaned the barrel , lube and inspect = I discover Daylight between the tang and the stock.....Not just a bit but this stock really does not fit properly..... I figure I can live with it because it's a really nice chunk of wood...Nicer than my other 3 Henry's. So off to the yard I go target and Rifle in hand. All shots (25 yrds) are inches high....NOT Good.....sight is at lowest setting = even worse.
Call Henry = " We'll send you the sight for a Magnum= Taller = should fix the problem.
Wait two weeks for the sight to arrive . Wait another week before I have time to swap it out and shoot ......Big Doo Doo ! Now it all shoots low with the sight raised all the way.... Also notice ,almost no tension on the detente for the inner mag tube...
In the house I go and call o'l Henry . Moments later I have a return label , box it up and drive 30 minutes to nearest UPS station.

So , It arrives at Henry a week later and Henry has now had it for an additional week. The other day I get letter stating they have received my rifle and that it may take up to 30 days for them to do their thing . Really?

We'll I know Henry has a great reputation for customer service. But , wouldn't it be better if they simply built it right from the start and save $$$ not having to make up for the lack of QC. In other words , Why is there always time to do it over instead of just doing it right the first time? MAke a few less rifles a day and save the customers the pain.

I love Henry Rifles . Not Henry Troubles.
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Oh Henry!

Post by Henry88 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:11 pm

Hey Petey,

Sorry to hear about this, very strange. For one thing, why in the world would it shoot low, sounds like barrel droop but I thought that only happened with airguns :D

You never said if you purchased the magnum. Assuming not, why in the world would a sight from another model be a solution :roll:

If you bought the magnum, and it shoots high with the proper site all the way down, what would cause that ?

Also, guys have to wait 10 days for a rifle? Here in Florida, last i heard that was only for handguns, which is ridiculous anyway.

Let us know how it works out and good luck.......
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:53 pm

Petey wrote: Got it home , cleaned the barrel , lube and inspect = I discover Daylight between the tang and the stock.....Not just a bit but this stock really does not fit properly..... I figure I can live with it because it's a really nice chunk of wood...Nicer than my other 3 Henry's. So off to the yard I go target and Rifle in hand. All shots (25 yrds) are inches high....NOT Good.....sight is at lowest setting = even worse.
I am no expert, just a thought. By chance, are you using 6 o'clock hold, center or 12 o'clock hold. For years I have used 6 o'clock hold. Since I planning to use open sight on my Henry, I thinking of adjusting based on distance. For closer shots (25 yards or less), maybe a 6 o'clock hold. Up to 75 yards, maybe center. 75 and beyond, maybe 12 o'clock. But, I will see how my thoughts pan out at the range.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:05 pm

That 3 day or 10 day wait is a JOKE . 90% of the buyers have another gun already to chose from to do a crime with .
1 x

mlrifleNY
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by mlrifleNY » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:16 pm

The only 2 background checks I just went through took about 10 minutes to fill out the paper work and a few more to get approved and I walked out with the rifle.

Jim
0 x
Henry BBB 44mag
Henry 1860
Henry 45/70 Brass

CLA
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by CLA » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:17 pm

Petey wrote:I purchased a new H001 Classic for myself just prior to Christmas.... was thrilled to have found one close by , seeing as how the next gun shop that had one was over an hour away. I quickly filled out my 4473 and proceeded to wait out the mandatory 10 day jail sentence.
Ding ! Time is up .....Rescue my poor little Henry = ASAP!!!
Got it home , cleaned the barrel , lube and inspect = I discover Daylight between the tang and the stock.....Not just a bit but this stock really does not fit properly..... I figure I can live with it because it's a really nice chunk of wood...Nicer than my other 3 Henry's. So off to the yard I go target and Rifle in hand. All shots (25 yrds) are inches high....NOT Good.....sight is at lowest setting = even worse.
Call Henry = " We'll send you the sight for a Magnum= Taller = should fix the problem.
Wait two weeks for the sight to arrive . Wait another week before I have time to swap it out and shoot ......Big Doo Doo ! Now it all shoots low with the sight raised all the way.... Also notice ,almost no tension on the detente for the inner mag tube...
In the house I go and call o'l Henry . Moments later I have a return label , box it up and drive 30 minutes to nearest UPS station.

So , It arrives at Henry a week later and Henry has now had it for an additional week. The other day I get letter stating they have received my rifle and that it may take up to 30 days for them to do their thing . Really?

We'll I know Henry has a great reputation for customer service. But , wouldn't it be better if they simply built it right from the start and save $$$ not having to make up for the lack of QC. In other words , Why is there always time to do it over instead of just doing it right the first time? MAke a few less rifles a day and save the customers the pain.

I feel for 'ya and I'm asking the same question.

I bought myself a Golden Boy for Christmas... I'm in CA too, same thing... chomping at the bit waiting for the blasted 10 day wait clock to count down.

Finally on 12/30, I rush to Bass Pro (30 miles) to pick it up, got it home and discovered upon examination in brighter light than what's at the Bass Pro gun department, that the left side of the receiver cover had an ugly uneven surface... a visible ripple across the forward recessed flat. And the adjustable white diamond sight notch in the rear sight... gone.

Contacted Henry CS by email... got a very prompt and courteous reply asking for some pics, sent a reply that day, and got a reply hours later that replacement parts were being shipped out. I thought wow... absolutely no hassle about sending the parts.

Two weeks later, package finally arrives... new receiver cover is perfect, but they sent me a rear sight elevator ramp for an H001... not even remotely close to what I needed. Emailed CS, got an apologetic reply saying the correct part is being sent... 1-1/2 weeks later, a complete Golden Boy rear sight arrives.

Not a good first impression for my first Henry purchase... Customer Service attitude was great, no hassles at all, but geez... how did this thing make it past QC at the factory, and then how could they ship me a rear sight part for a H001 when my email (and pics) clearly showed it was an H004?

I'm not ready to give up on Henry yet... I'm saving up for a .327 Federal Big Boy and I'm hopeful my next purchase is uneventful, except for how well it performs at the range.
0 x

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Petey » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:20 pm

Henry88 wrote:Hey Petey,

Sorry to hear about this, very strange. For one thing, why in the world would it shoot low, sounds like barrel droop but I thought that only happened with airguns :D

You never said if you purchased the magnum. Assuming not, why in the world would a sight from another model be a solution :roll:

If you bought the magnum, and it shoots high with the proper site all the way down, what would cause that ?

Also, guys have to wait 10 days for a rifle? Here in Florida, last i heard that was only for handguns, which is ridiculous anyway.

Let us know how it works out and good luck.......
I purchased a Classic 22 H001..... It shot too high and Henry Sent me a taller front sight to bring it down......Now it's too low.
CA = 10 ten day wait .....It's stupid .
0 x

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Petey » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:29 pm

CLA wrote:
Petey wrote:

I bought myself a Golden Boy for Christmas... I'm in CA too, same thing... chomping at the bit waiting for the blasted 10 day wait clock to count down.

Finally on 12/30, I rush to Bass Pro (30 miles) to pick it up, got it home and discovered upon examination in brighter light than what's at the Bass Pro gun department, that the left side of the receiver cover had an ugly uneven surface... a visible ripple across the forward recessed flat. And the adjustable white diamond sight notch in the rear sight... gone.

Contacted Henry CS by email... got a very prompt and courteous reply asking for some pics, sent a reply that day, and got a reply hours later that replacement parts were being shipped out. I thought wow... absolutely no hassle about sending the parts.

Two weeks later, package finally arrives... new receiver cover is perfect, but they sent me a rear sight elevator ramp for an H001... not even remotely close to what I needed. Emailed CS, got an apologetic reply saying the correct part is being sent... 1-1/2 weeks later, a complete Golden Boy rear sight arrives.

Not a good first impression for my first Henry purchase... Customer Service attitude was great, no hassles at all, but geez... how did this thing make it past QC at the factory, and then how could they ship me a rear sight part for a H001 when my email (and pics) clearly showed it was an H004?

I'm not ready to give up on Henry yet... I'm saving up for a .327 Federal Big Boy and I'm hopeful my next purchase is uneventful, except for how well it performs at the range.
I hear ya .....I never e-mail Henry . Just pick up the phone = Very nice people over there. Just seems they have grown a bit too much too fast . Releasing all these new models seems to have stretched them a bit thin....The other thing is , finding workers who take pride in what they do and not showing up just for a paycheck.

So Bass pro..... I almost went there.... Roseville is just over an hour away. Which store is yours?

HAppy SHootin !
Petey
0 x

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Petey » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:32 pm

GFK wrote:
Petey wrote: Got it home , cleaned the barrel , lube and inspect = I discover Daylight between the tang and the stock.....Not just a bit but this stock really does not fit properly..... I figure I can live with it because it's a really nice chunk of wood...Nicer than my other 3 Henry's. So off to the yard I go target and Rifle in hand. All shots (25 yrds) are inches high....NOT Good.....sight is at lowest setting = even worse.
I am no expert, just a thought. By chance, are you using 6 o'clock hold, center or 12 o'clock hold. For years I have used 6 o'clock hold. Since I planning to use open sight on my Henry, I thinking of adjusting based on distance. For closer shots (25 yards or less), maybe a 6 o'clock hold. Up to 75 yards, maybe center. 75 and beyond, maybe 12 o'clock. But, I will see how my thoughts pan out at the range.

I have always sighted Point of aim = dead on. Let me know how you do.

HAppy SHootin!
Petey
0 x

CLA
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by CLA » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:14 pm

Petey wrote:
CLA wrote:
Petey wrote:

I hear ya .....I never e-mail Henry . Just pick up the phone = Very nice people over there. Just seems they have grown a bit too much too fast . Releasing all these new models seems to have stretched them a bit thin....The other thing is , finding workers who take pride in what they do and not showing up just for a paycheck.

So Bass pro..... I almost went there.... Roseville is just over an hour away. Which store is yours?

HAppy SHootin !
Petey
The Manteca store... I almost drove up to the Rocklin store because the Henry inventory at Manteca had been so pathetic. I'd been waiting for them to get the .22lr Golden Boys in stock for months... decided to try looking one last time, and they had a scratched up display model, and one unmolested one in back.

I certainly hope these kind of experiences gets Mr. Imperato's attention... I'm sending him an email about my experience, as he should be back in the saddle at Henry now after being at the SHOT show.
0 x