Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry H001M disassembly, parts and construction

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Henry H001M disassembly, parts and construction

Post by henry22 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:07 am

Hey guys, just thought I would throw this out there.

A few days ago, I was bored out of my mind, with the bitter cold here n’ all. I thought I’d watch the H001M Lever Action Magnum maintenance videos, just to see if I could disassemble my rifle to get a better idea of how these are put together, and to clean it from the inside out.

https://www.henryusa.com/henry-instruct ... 22-magnum/

I followed the video instructions to the letter, and grouped all the related parts together in 4 empty margarine containers, in the order that I removed them. When I got to the carrier, carrier lever, spring and plunger, I realized that there was a layer of oil - or grease, which seemed fairly thick on these parts, including the main receiver body surface, (after the receiver cover was removed)

After cleaning all the grouped parts with WD-40, Q-tips and a toothbrush, followed by a light oiling and wipe down of all the parts with Ballistol, I noticed that there was black smudge on my rags and shop towels that came from these parts:

Bolt
Main receiver body (outside of it with cover removed)
Lever pin, trigger pin, locking bar pin, hammer pin
Carrier body, carrier feed lever
Hammer guide, hammer spring

Putting it back together wasn’t all that difficult, but took some patience and time, fiddling with the orientation of the rifle body (resting it across 2 foam-rubber ladder bumpers), while re-assembling the grouped parts. I found the trickiest part was re-installing the carrier assembly with the spring and tube, WITH the lever, since both parts share the common “lever pin”.

I have to say, I was quite impressed after I put it back together, and it fed and cycled a round into the chamber, and then ejected properly. Not impressed with myself, but how these were designed. It’s an antiquated design, compared to “modern” bolt action and AR style rifles, but in a way, that’s a great thing. They simply work as they were intended. The parts can’t really fit together any other way. The screw holes either line up or they don’t. The pins hammer into where they’re supposed to, or they don’t.

I love this rifle.
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Henry H001M disassembly, parts and construction

Post by JEBar » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:14 am

thanks for relating your experience .... I've never gotten up the nerve to completely disassemble any of ours .... now, you have me thinking about doing so
1 x

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:14 am

Well done - always a nice feeling when you take a rifle apart and put it back together cleaner and better preserved than when you started out....
0 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:40 pm

I just wanted to see how the parts actually fit together. It's the wannabe engineer in me. I kind wish for a few things, although it would raise the price of this rifle for sure.

1) A circular depression or recess in the bottom of the receiver body, that captures the bottom of the carrier's spring, basically the same recess in the carrier itself that holds the tube and spring - that pushes up against the underside of the carrier lever.

2) An ALL steel carrier, in stainless or better still, titanium. LOL

3) A drilled and tapped hole in the side of the hammer, threaded to accept a hammer extension allen screw - that goes through the side of the hammer extension, and then threads into the hammer itself.

4) Finally, a slightly wider and deeper fore-end, like on the Browning BL22 series:
http://cdn3.volusion.com/qspru.vgmck/v/ ... 1393267257
Notice how the fore-end is a little fatter, deeper?

And I'm not complaining. I love mine either way, I just wish it had a hair more.... OOMPH in the feel - kind of like a big boy.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:32 pm

The way your story started I was getting worried it might have a bad ending; glad it worked out and don't scare me like that again...
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:59 am

RanchRoper.. LOL, don't ever scare you again.. HAHAH. As in, you thought I lost a spring or something? Or couldn't put it back together?

Yeah, I thought of losing the spring set for the locking safety bar, it's a smaller spring, nested inside a larger spring, so you have to keep the associated parts of each section together — in margarine containers works well. It's funny, when it's disassembled to this level, and you look at the grouped parts in each container, it's really not that many, and again, they can't only fit and assemble a certain way.

JEBar, it's really a fun little project. It took me about 2 hours, because I was really obsessive about cleaning each individual part, the carrier, levers, springs, bolt, pins etc. But the next time it has to be done - probably 2000 rounds or more from now, it'll be much easier, and the H001M video on the Henry site is exactly how you have to do it. Thank Henry for that video, or I would have never attempted it.

Happy New Year gentleman.
0 x

Teddy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Teddy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:46 pm

I did my H001L carbine, took about an hour. Now if you really want to have fun do a complete tear down on a 10-22!
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:36 am

henry22 wrote:RanchRoper.. LOL, don't ever scare you again.. HAHAH. As in, you thought I lost a spring or something? Or couldn't put it back together?

Yeah, I thought of losing the spring set for the locking safety bar, it's a smaller spring, nested inside a larger spring, so you have to keep the associated parts of each section together — in margarine containers works well. It's funny, when it's disassembled to this level, and you look at the grouped parts in each container, it's really not that many, and again, they can't only fit and assemble a certain way.

JEBar, it's really a fun little project. It took me about 2 hours, because I was really obsessive about cleaning each individual part, the carrier, levers, springs, bolt, pins etc. But the next time it has to be done - probably 2000 rounds or more from now, it'll be much easier, and the H001M video on the Henry site is exactly how you have to do it. Thank Henry for that video, or I would have never attempted it.

Happy New Year gentleman.
Only the magnum has that extra spring inside of spring.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:55 am

Teddy, I'm assuming the tear-down on the 10-22 isn't fun? Never really looked at one.

This Henry H001, man, it's such a simple design, but brilliant. I've seen the take-down of the Browning BL22, the Winchester 9422, and they don't look easy, maybe if you've done it a few times, but they look like they have more parts in awkward places. Then Henry H001 is SO simple. It's all levers and fulcrums connected by pins that can only go in one place - EXCELLENT design.

The H001 is to lever action rifles what the Ludwig Speed King bass drum pedal is to bass drum pedals. Antiquated, simple, a little squeaky at times, but nothing feels or responds quite like a Speed King: https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/ ... 5m4xu1.jpg

It behaves in a way like the H001's feel and action. Simple, direct smooth and immediate, less complicated with less parts where none are needed.
0 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:35 am

Teddy wrote:I did my H001L carbine, took about an hour. Now if you really want to have fun do a complete tear down on a 10-22!
This makes me feel a bit better about diving into my Golden Boy...I've had my 10/22 apart a few times.

henry22...where in Eastern Ontario are you?
0 x