Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Chambering issuein an H001

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Chambering issuein an H001

Post by tractortad » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:54 pm

I think the magazine spring guide (orange plunger) is still there, but it has been rammed all the way into the inner mag tube and is now sitting above the indent-ring on the end of the tube. This may have happened if too many rounds were loaded into the rifle and then the inner mag tube was forced into the closed position. See if you can somehow pry out the end of the guide past that indent-ring to get it back to where it should be - otherwise you'll need a new inner mag tube from Henry...
0 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:07 pm

If you lived here in the states, I'm sure Henry would have a new magazine tube on the way already. I guess there are too many issues with sending rifle parts overseas. I just went and looked at the tube on my H001. The plunger extends about an inch past the end of the brass tube. Not sure why yours is hanging up. It's a long shot, but maybe you could use a small rod and push it further back into the tube and then let it go quickly. Perhaps this would allow it to slip past whatever obstruction is keeping it from moving all the way out. Failing that, perhaps a gunsmith might be able to fix it. They cost $21.50 from Henry. Again, I have no idea what the shipping restrictions are, and you shouldn't have to buy a one for a new rifle.

Here is a link to what it should look like. It should be like the third from the bottom.

https://henrypride.com/collections/rifl ... zine-tubes
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:23 pm

I had one from Henry like yours. I was able to get it to "shoot out" just by cracking it like a whip and using centrifugal force.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

Post by Ogur » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:59 am

I already tried whipping it. No luck so far. Mailed the photo to Henry and asked for a part number and European dealers. It shoots perfectly fine, I just have to wriggle the last round into position a bit. I’m not really keen on the iron sights though. It still has the original plastic barrel band and front post assembly. Seems a bit flimsy. I’ve looked into some replacements and I like the peeps I see from Skinner, but do they have front post assemblies as well? I’ll make some inquiries whether it’s a viable option to get a set sent here. A scope is easy enough. I can get that here locally, but iron sights for levers are a bit more tricky. Then it’s on to find out what ammo this rifle likes. Always good fun!:-)
2 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:37 pm

My H001 will eat anything. I have found that the most accurate ammo, without going to expensive match grade, is the CCI standard velocity. Not sure what you have available in your area. I experienced much smaller groups with the CCI SV than bulk ammo, and somewhat smaller groups than even their more expensive mini mags.

I didn't care much for the semi buckhorn sights and went straight to a scope. If I wanted iron sights, the Skinner would be my first choice. I have had the opportunity to use them on my friend's Marlin. I liked them a lot. Of course, you can't beat a scope for absolute accuracy. Of course, if I were looking for absolute accuracy, I would be shooting a bolt action, bull barreled rifle with a target grade trigger.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

Post by Ogur » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:17 pm

I received word from Henry and I am now a firm Henry cultist. They offered to send me a new mag tube. Customs won’t allow it directly, so my dealer will order it and they will get it in that way. These sre some mighty lengths they go through to help one customer on the other side of the fish pond who has a second hand Henry! Nothing but respect!

I’ve got an Anschutz match 54 from the 1950s. Bull barrel, the works. Diopter sight. After a while shooting that gets boring. I like the added challenge of a general purpose rifle. Though I would love to get my hands on that octagon long barreled .22 Henry I saw on the site a couple of months back.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:51 pm

absolutely no surprise at Henry's response .... it will be interesting to see how long it will take to get it to you
1 x

Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

Post by Ogur » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:26 am

Yeah it will take a couple of weeks most likely, especially now that the holiday season is starting, but I am thouroughly impressed with Henry’s dedication to their product. I know who will be my company of choice for a hunting rifle once I move to Sweden and get a hunting license.

As to ammo, I’ve found that my Henry doesn’t like Federal Champion. My Anschutz loves it, but the Henry even has a few tumblers. I’ll pick up a few boxes of assorted brands and see how they do. Luckily I’ve got a good choice of brands here.
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:46 pm

Our foreign friends here make me realize how lucky we here in America are to have the freedom to purchase and enjoy a wide range of firearms. If I wanted a new Golden Boy, or an all weather in 44 mag, or whatever strikes my fancy, I could hop in the car and be enjoying it at the local range within the hour.

I'm a little surprised your H001 doesn't like Federal Champions. They do quite well in mine. I have not had bullet tumbling with any brand of ammo. I do notice a difference in group sizes. Some is dirtier than others, but never seen any tumbling.

I find the H001 one of the most fun rimfire rifles to shoot. Something about lever action shooting that brings out the kid in me.
1 x

Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

Post by Ogur » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:27 pm

Yep they sure are fun! I’ll give this one a thorough clean once I have a bit of time. We have the freedom to enjoy pretty much the same stuff as you americans can, aside from full auto. You just need a license and it takes a bit longer before you can pick up the weapon. Which I’m not against actually. You need a license for cars andmotorbikes and stuff. I like the idea of every shooter having at least a basic training in marksmanship and safety, along with no serious criminal record. And criminals tend to shoot other criminals over here. The whole shooting spree thing is almost unheard of. Those guys over here willing to jump through the hoops are all serious about their hobby or they wouldn’t do it. Less casual nonsense going on.
1 x