Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry H001M plastic butt stock replacements?

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Henry H001M plastic butt stock replacements?

Post by Conax » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:14 pm

I'm from the old ways with firearms and have no idea how modern shooters clean or lube their guns.
I wouldn't use WD-40 on my guns because it isn't designed to be a gun lubricant. It can be used, but that wasn't its intended application. WD means Water Displacing (or Displacement) compound 40. It drives out any water then leaves behind a layer of silicone lubricant. Great for door hinges and noisy bushings but muh rifles? ?
I'm not trying to come off as some know it all because I don't, but I can't comment regarding WD-40 and guns because I've used BreakFree CLP with tremendous success since I first heard of it long ago.
I use Hoppe's Copper solvent, other, nastier bore cleaners on problem children, and BreakFree.
I clean my bolt the same way you do. ;)
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:46 pm

I just didn't want to get sucked into an "expensive" "gun cleaner". There are a lot of old timers who swear by using the tried and true standard stuff. They'll say, you don't NEED to use solvent, unless it's really dirty. I never let mine get that dirty, and it never sits for weeks before I clean it.

When I first shot the rifle, I put 100 rounds through it, and cleaned it immediately after by putting about 4-5 drops of G96 Complete Gun Oil on the boresnake - a few inches in front of the white guide cone, on the bronze bristles as well, and slid it through a couple of times. There was a short black smudge on the orange looped part of the boresnake after I ran it through. The second time, nothing else transferred onto it.

If I'm only shooting 100-200 rounds at a time, can't I just spray the inside of the barrel with WD-40 to clean out the carbon, then G96 Complete Gun Oil, let it run out for a few minutes, and then boresnake it?

I'm not sure when I should use a solvent. My buddy used to use Hoppe's N0 9 on his 10 guage after every shooting session, but it would get REALLY dirty after a box of shells.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:23 pm

disregard
0 x

rwortman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by rwortman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:05 am

I use an Otis cable to pull patches through the bore from the breech end without disassembly.
0 x