Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger 10/22 or Henry

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Ruger 10/22 or Henry

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:03 pm

North Country Gal wrote:David, don't have a Henry, but I do have several of those Bushnell TRS-25 red dots and love them. They will not fit, directly, on a rimfire grooved receiver. They take a weaver base. However, you can use a 3/8" to Weaver adapter to get the TRS on the Henry or any rimfire grooved receiver. The disadvantage is that it will move the TRS up higher off the receiver. I much prefer to keep a red dot down low when on a lever gun.
As you know the 10/22's Weaver rail is screwed on and you can now get most any rail size for them. With the Henry you are locked into the Weaver rail.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:38 pm

Sir Henry,

Thanks for your help. Yes, I would like a red dot low on a lever gun so a red dot on a Henry probably won't work well for me.

And thanks to everyone's help. I made my choice today with the help of my wife. She went with me to look at them. She liked the H001L the best by far due to it's short overall length and light weight. Doesn't care much for 10/22's (that is an understatement).

We came back home and discussed it, made a decision and I went back to purchase the H001L. Shoot Straight is only two miles from home. They only had one in stock as I thought. They gave me what I think is a reasonable price at $299. I shot a few rounds thru it at their indoor range. It is extremely fun, which is the most important consideration for me. I immediately knew that this would be one that I will extremely enjoy. We'll both be off for a week from work middle of April and we'll take it to an outdoor range where we can shoot at steel targets and plate racks.

I am very happy to have a second Henry!
1 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:52 pm

I just don't know how I got through life without buying a 10-22. Virtually everyone I knew had one.

When I was young (70's-80s) I had a Win M190 semi auto that a few years back I gave to one of my nephews.

But in '89 I got a bolt action Marlin and basically never looked back at semi autos. Nothing changed till I got the Henry.

Sometimes when I see them real cheap on sale at Walmart or Academy I'm tempted to buy a 10-22; just not tempted enough, I guess......
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:23 pm

David, one option that will let you keep the red dot low is to find a tube style red dot that will take standard 1" rings. That way you can use 22 rings. I do it all the time with my Ultradot 25s, but those are expensive. Millet makes a Compact 1" tube red dot that comes with Weaver rings, but you can just sub some 22 rings and be set.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/139745 ... tyle-rings
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:28 pm

I don't see this mentioned yet David, but one thing I REALLY like about the Henry, at least the H001, is that you can run a cleaning rod through the breech. Yes, you have to take the receiver cover and buttstock off, but that takes about 3 min.

If you have a scope, which I do not, you may have to tweek afterwards.

Hey I like snakes as much as the next guy, but sometimes it's nice to be able to access the breech with a cleaning rod.

I guess just one more thing I don't line about semi autos.
1 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:32 pm

Henry88,

Yes, I thought about that and watched disassembly videos from Henry's website and Ruger's. I don't have a snake. I may buy one for when I don't want to bother taking the receiver cover and buttstock off.
0 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:42 pm

North Country Gal wrote:David, one option that will let you keep the red dot low is to find a tube style red dot that will take standard 1" rings. That way you can use 22 rings. I do it all the time with my Ultradot 25s, but those are expensive. Millet makes a Compact 1" tube red dot that comes with Weaver rings, but you can just sub some 22 rings and be set.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/139745 ... tyle-rings
Thank you very much. That could be a very good option. I rather like the sights after trying them at the indoor range today. I also tried them in my backyard this afternoon in bright sunlight. At certain angles the front sight was hard to pick up. I'll see how they work at the outdoor range next week. The fiber optic sight from Henry may be an option or this Millet if I have too many issues in bright sunlight.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:50 pm

Good luck with whatever you choose!
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:33 pm

David, that light hitting the front sight at different angles can cause the eye to see the front sight, differently, as the angles change, so it does sometimes cause a shift in the windage in your POI. It's one reason for hoods over the front sight. A hood will allow for more consistent visibility on the front sight. Of course, a red dot or a scope takes that issue out of the equation.
1 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:10 am

RanchRoper wrote:Good luck with whatever you choose!
Thanks RanchRoper, I purchased the Henry Carbine yesterday (H001L). I am very happy with it and I am sure I will continue to be. I posted more details about the purchase earlier.
Last edited by DAVIDF on Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x