Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger 10/22 or Henry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Ruger 10/22 or Henry

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:19 pm

DAVIDF wrote:JEBar,

Thanks for the input. Accuracy is important to me, not the absolute requirement. Otherwise, I would be looking at a basic 10/22. How much less accurate is the newer 10/22? Have you shot it off a bench?
one of our sons owns a 30 +/- year old and a new 50th Anniversary Edition .... he has mentioned that the sights on the Anniversary Edition are much cheaper and not as solid .... in the hands of a good shot, they will both ring a 6" gong at 100 yards .... with the older one our son can routinely hit the edge of a skeet at 50 yards .... with the Anniversary Edition he can do so but at a lower percentage
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:25 pm

David, I have both rifles. They are surprisingly similar in some respects. They are the same weight and length, and are of course both .22's. Aside from that, however, they are very different guns which serve very different purposes, at least for me. I tend to shoot the Ruger better than imshoot the Henry. On the other hand, the Henry is more fun than the Ruger.

Although people on forums always say "own both," in this instance that advice is very true. I think I'd buy one of them now, with the expectation that you will, sooner or later, also buy the other one. Both are excellent rifles. You can't go wrong with either one.
0 x

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ditchparrot » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:56 pm

ditto1958 wrote:Although people on forums always say "own both," in this instance that advice is very true. I think I'd buy one of them now, with the expectation that you will, sooner or later, also buy the other one. Both are excellent rifles. You can't go wrong with either one.
Agreed. I own both and love both dearly. If I had to give one up, I'd probably just flip a coin and then cry over the one I lost.

I got my first and still favorite 10/22 for my 16th birthday in 1980. My brother turns 50 on Saturday and I'll have the great pleasure of presenting him a brand new one. Can't wait.
1 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:29 am

JEBar wrote:
DAVIDF wrote:JEBar,

Thanks for the input. Accuracy is important to me, not the absolute requirement. Otherwise, I would be looking at a basic 10/22. How much less accurate is the newer 10/22? Have you shot it off a bench?
one of our sons owns a 30 +/- year old and a new 50th Anniversary Edition .... he has mentioned that the sights on the Anniversary Edition are much cheaper and not as solid .... in the hands of a good shot, they will both ring a 6" gong at 100 yards .... with the older one our son can routinely hit the edge of a skeet at 50 yards .... with the Anniversary Edition he can do so but at a lower percentage
I see a typo I made yesterday. I meant to say that if accuracy was the most important requirement, I would not be looking at the basic 10/22. I would either be looking at a much more customized one or more likely a bolt gun. The sights on the basic 10/22 are ok with me. I do like the sights on the Henry's a bit better.

I did have quite a bit of fun shooting my son's 10/22 yesterday at an indoor range. But, it would not function Federal Target Gold Medal (standard velocity) well at all. It did function fine with CCI standard velocity. I will be taking it tomorrow to an outdoor range along with my Big Boy to shoot a steel plate at 100 yards and some fast shooting at a steel plate rack at 10 yards. I have a blast with my Big Boy at the steel plate rack range.

The 10/22 is still a consideration, but I am leaning toward the Henry. Besides, my son is still storing the 10/22 at my house, so I'll have access to both at least for a bit ;)
1 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:49 am

I would never ask a "which gun would you buy" question on any other forum. I might respond to someone's question, but never ask it. But, this is a wonderful forum filled with the best people. Thanks to all of you for your help!
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:07 am

The Ruger 10/22 to me is like the Marlin model 60 they are both icons in the 22 LR catagory. I have owned several 10/22's and even fixed a couple up with barrel changes and so forth. I also own the Marlin model 60 which I like alot. I dont currently own a 10/22 but Im a levergun nut so if I could swing the H001T that would be my choice. I currently own 2 of them one of them is the Monument Valley model. They are fun to shoot. Al
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:48 pm

I have a couple dozen 10/22's and 17 rimfire Henrys. I switched over from centerfire military surplus firearms around the year 2000. I haven't shot that much in the last couple of years but from about 2000 to 2010 I was shooting more than 100,000 rounds a year in mainly 10/22's and an H001 which was the only Henry I had at the time. So I do have considerable experience with both.

But that doesn't mean I'm all that good and am more of a plinker like you. I mention this because you can build a target rifle out of a 10/22 but can't an H001. The Henry won't get any better than it comes from the factory although you might become better shooting it with certain inexpensive modifications.

If you want a target rifle I would suggest a 452 CZ American and not the 10/22. If you are a south paw the H001 wins over both the 10/22 and the 452 which is a bolt action.

Are you planning on scoping the rifle?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:22 am

Sir H I think the best way, at least in my case, to improve the accuracy of the H001 would be to improve the trigger.

Not to say it would ever be a target rifle.
0 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:46 am

Sir Henry,

From what I have seen the Henry or a stock 10/22 is accurate enough for me. I am right handed, although I shoot handguns with either. I need to start doing that with rifles. I would be more likely to modify a 10/22, perhaps with their BX-trigger. If Henry's .22 triggers are as good as my Big Boy, they would be fine right out of the box.

I looked at a couple of 452 CZ's the other day. Yes, they are nice. Those would be a consideration if I were looking strictly for a target rifle.

A scope is a slight consideration. A red dot would be better for me rather than a scope with magnification. If I were to buy a 10/22, I would be strongly inclined to mount a red dot. Will something like a Bushnell TRS 1-25mm red dot fit on the Henry's grooved receiver. Or is the grooved receiver too narrow?

BigAl52,

Yes, I find lever guns the most fun. That is a big consideration. They look better too. My wife doesn't care for the appearance of a basic 10/22. But she loves the looks of our Big Boy and another Henry will probably go on the cabinet beneath the Big Boy hanging on our wall.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:07 am

David, don't have a Henry, but I do have several of those Bushnell TRS-25 red dots and love them. They will not fit, directly, on a rimfire grooved receiver. They take a weaver base. However, you can use a 3/8" to Weaver adapter to get the TRS on the Henry or any rimfire grooved receiver. The disadvantage is that it will move the TRS up higher off the receiver. I much prefer to keep a red dot down low when on a lever gun.
1 x