Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cleaning a Golden Boy

Wabash kid
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Cleaning a Golden Boy

Post by Wabash kid » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:07 am

Good morning All,
I have a Golden Boy, and am fortunate enough to live in a rural area in central Indiana. I have steel plates set up at the end of my property, and just to stay sharp, everyday without fail I shoot 20 rnds out of my GoldenBoy! But that begs the question, how often should it be cleaned? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Paul
1 x
If it’s worth doin, it’s worth doin right.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Cleaning a Golden Boy

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:47 pm

you know what they say about opinions -- :roll: -- based on your stated use, I'd be prone to a thorough cleaning whenever you see any evidence that residue is building up to a comfortable with in the action or barrel .... I do believe in a thorough wipe down with a treated cloth after each handling ....

be sure to follow the link below to where you can add your Henry to our community's total

[b][u]http://henryrifleforums.com/viewt ... 56[/u][/b]
1 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:56 pm

The first 5 years that I had my Henry H001 Classic .22, I shot hundreds a loads through it each year. I normally Just ran a bore snake through the barrel a couple times after each use and used a brush or q-tips to clean the bolt face. After 5 years, I thought the inards of this rifle are probably really gunked up. I took off the butt stock and the receiver cover and took it apart like the Henry H004 take down video shows. There was practically no carbon build up at all. I have never taken it apart since then. I just keep shooting it, clean the barrel, chamber, and bolt face and go on.
It is like an old Timex - it just keeps on shooting.
2 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:14 pm

Wabash kid wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:07 am
Good morning All,
I have a Golden Boy, and am fortunate enough to live in a rural area in central Indiana. I have steel plates set up at the end of my property, and just to stay sharp, everyday without fail I shoot 20 rnds out of my GoldenBoy! But that begs the question, how often should it be cleaned? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Paul
Adding to the advice pool.... How many rounds would you shoot if you spent the day or 1/2 day at a gun range? Since you shoot 20 everyday add up the number of rounds that you might shoot at a range day and then clean. Clean anyway before long term storage.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:45 pm

Cleaning frequently would also be determined by what ammo you are using. Copperplated tends to be cleaner
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Wabash kid
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Wabash kid » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:57 pm

Well 20 rnds a day times 30 days is 600 rnds. So I’m thinking if I give it a good cleaning every two weeks. That’s like cleaning after a good day at the range, 300 rnds! And yes I always wipe her off with a treated gun rag, even after just handling her
Thanks Much
Paul
2 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:27 pm

If you search through the past posts in the rimfire section you will find my post of a few years back about a Henry lever action .22 that was fired many many thousands of times in just a few days. Mr. I. even sent some ammo to help out. The point is that rifle was cleaned very little .
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:48 pm

Feb. 26 , 2017 He shot 28 thousand rounds through a Golden Boy. Twenty one thousand before a good cleaning. Finally found when my post was about an article in Guns Of The Old West Magazine. Unfortunately the author has left this veil of tears.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:22 pm

As an aside to the Golden Boy mega shoot, most of the ammo was bulk ammo you know the kind that we all like to buy but don't like to admit to shooting.
1 x

Wabash kid
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Wabash kid » Tue May 02, 2023 8:41 am

Thanks for all the advice, I cleaned her after 300 rnds, and it was surisingly easy to clean. .22’s are filthy, but a couple patches soaked in solvent and a few strokes of the brush, was all it took, I use a jag to wipe the barrel out, it’s gets deeper into the rifling than a slotted patch, and all it took was 8 patches and those patches came out spotless.👍
Paul
1 x