Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Who Shoots Red Dots on Their Rimfire Lever Guns

Rep1954
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Who Shoots Red Dots on Their Rimfire Lever Guns

Post by Rep1954 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:07 pm

As the title reads who uses a red dot on their lever guns and what brand along with performance.
0 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Who Shoots Red Dots on Their Rimfire Lever Guns

Post by leverjc » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:34 pm

I use a red/green dot on a Smith Victory but not any of my lever guns which I use mainly for Lever Silhouette. The green dot stands out better for me even on a green background as I am red-green color blind. Couldn't tell you who makes it but is was cheap. Never had any problems with it.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:15 pm

I don't shoot lever guns any more, but I did a lot of shooting with red dots on lever guns when I had a nice Marlin and Winchester collection. The lever guns are gone, but I kept the red dots. I now use them on a lot of our air rifles and air pistols. I tend to go quality with Ultradots, Burris Fastfire, Gilmores and so on and have never regretted it. There are some great values in the more affordable red dots, though, like the compact Bushnell TRS-25.

I've always considered red dots/reflex sights to be great problem solvers. Very practical and effective choice when you don't want to add weight and destroy the balance of a fine lever gun, but need help seeing when iron sights don't cut it. Out to 100 yards, I can shoot very nice groups with a red dot, assuming I have good target visibility.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:28 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-SP ... 319&sr=8-1

Dont know how much you want to spend but I bought one of these a while back and like it alot. It uses a common triple A battery. Also any of the ones NCG suggested I have a few of those and they work great.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

WayneE
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by WayneE » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:36 pm

I have one on my Golden Boy Silver Youth 22LR. It is a SwampFox Justice 1x27 red dot, 2 MOA. I mounted it to the Talley Picatinny rail from Henry Pride. I really enjoy this setup and it is a nice change from my other rimfires that have the iron sights, Skinner Peep Sight, or fiber optic sights.
AF277DE4-FA7F-45C7-A416-D70EE517C633.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

gecsr1
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by gecsr1 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:35 am

do you or would you have problems seeing a "red Dot' during a bright day.. would a green dot be better ??
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:08 am

I have a Fastfire 2 on a 22/45 and a TRS25 on a 10/22 TD, I like them both, the latter is way more affordable and robust. I would not trust the Fastfire to survive a hard drop, but it works better and is very light and graceful. My eyes are horrible for iron sights, even my daily carry CZP10F-OR carries an optic now. All my other long guns are scoped.

The TRS25 is terrific for busting cans rapidly at short range with the 10/22, but for pinpoint accuracy it is not very good. If you want the best groups use a scope.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:27 pm

gecsr1 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:35 am
do you or would you have problems seeing a "red Dot' during a bright day.. would a green dot be better ??
All red dots have a brightness adjustment for changing light conditions, so you can use them on even the brightest days, though some are better than others in this respect. Our eyes are more sensitive to green than red, so green is a good option, too, but red works fine, assuming you have a decent red dot.

Overall, most shooters use red dots as an alternative to iron sights, myself included. Accutacy with red dots for me is usually a cut above iron sights, but definitely not comparable to a scope.
0 x

gecsr1
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by gecsr1 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:51 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:27 pm
gecsr1 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:35 am
All red dots have a brightness adjustment for changing light conditions, so you can use them on even the brightest days, though some are better than others in this respect. Our eyes are more sensitive to green than red, so green is a good option, too, but red works fine, assuming you have a decent red dot.

Overall, most shooters use red dots as an alternative to iron sights, myself included. Accutacy with red dots for me is usually a cut above iron sights, but definitely not comparable to a scope.
Thank You for the info.....
0 x

Bake
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bake » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:04 pm

I would choose the "Green" dot if possible, as one gets older it becomes hard for the eye to focus on the color red, because of the Red's wavelength . . .
0 x