Tell us about your Henry Rifle

H001T Trigger Mod COMPLETED!

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

H001T Trigger Mod COMPLETED!

Postby henry22 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:57 am

UPDATED POST: H001T Trigger Mod, COMPLETED

I brought the H001T to my gunsmith yesterday - dis-assembled. I gave him the trigger and hammer. He said the edges of the sear and hammer were rough. He filed off the irregularities, and polished both parts. He also gave me a longer trigger spring to try, that has a slightly smaller wire diameter than the stock trigger spring, but the outer diameter of the spring is slightly larger. It's perfect actually because it fits into the recessed hole in the trigger, just snug enough, that it doesn't wobble side to side like the stock spring. He even let me re-assemble the rifle at the front of the cash so I could try it out before I left (with a spent 22 casing in the chamber) Simply amazing.

And, the spring he gave me is exactly twice as long as the stock spring, which means cutting it in half will give you 2 identical springs, 1 for each Henry, and no need to stretch the spring, since the distance between the coils is exactly the same as the stock Henry trigger spring.

I re-assembled the rifle, and he measured the trigger pull weight, and it came in at just under 2 pounds, I think 1.85 pounds to be exact. I brought the rifle to the range shortly after to try it out. NIGHT & DAY difference, and I highly recommend doing this to your Henry rimfire rifles. It shoots like a bench gun, yet passes the bump test perfectly. The trigger isn't ridiculously light, it's just very smooth, breaks much quicker, and has absolutely no pre-travel, the "wall" is gone, and there's no creep. You just squeeze very lightly, and it goes — BANG.

The trigger is so smooth, it almost feels like my CZ 455, which has a 1 pound trigger pull. I'm very happy with the results. And doing this absolutely improved holding on the target and accuracy. Now, I can just use my finger, with no squeeze on the stock at all.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: H001T Trigger Mod COMPLETED!

Postby JEBar » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:11 am

very interesting .... thanks for the continued updates and looking forward to your coming reports
0 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Postby roddy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Nice...glad to see someone has done this.
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Postby henry22 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:53 pm

It's actually not much of a chore. (Excluding stretching the original spring and cutting 2 coils) My gunsmith did the bulk of the work, the polishing of the sear and hammer made a HUGE difference. Changing out the trigger spring was the other part. It just makes for a reasonably lighter pull.

If any of you guys are interested, I'll take the other spring he gave me, and get it measured by a machinist I know;

Outside diameter of the spring,
overall length,
spacing between each coil,
number of coils
guage of spring wire etc.

Then maybe you can find a factory replacement from a spring supplier or fastener supplier. I just find that it made everything feel more natural and responsive. I'm really happy with the feel.
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Postby Henry88 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:34 am

Those are some light trigger pulls. I think most can handle a couple of pounds of trigger pull as long as it breaks cleanly and consistently; which was probably achieved by the polishing?
0 x
Glenfield M60 (squirrel stock) .22LR
Henry H001 .22LR
Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/.22WMR
Marlin 25N .22LR
Marlin XT-22ML .22WMR
Spreewerke P38 (1943) 9MM
Winchester M70 .308

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Postby Les » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:17 am

Congratulations on your 'new' trigger. Nothing can spoil a good day at the range faster than a heavy trigger, but I have to say that the trigger on both of my Henry's has been excellent. It must be the luck of the draw.
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Postby henry22 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:05 am

I think it is the luck of the draw too. My CZ had a very nasty grindy feeling trigger. I purchased a YODAVE trigger kit, had my smith install it, polishing the sear and hammer surfaces etc, and he took that trigger from a 3 pounds + gritty feel, down to a slick, VERY short breaking 1 pound trigger. If you're trying to target shoot, and hit small things, the trigger is really important I've discovered.
1 x