Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Broken Screw Head on Receiver (Brasslite)

kraynky
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Broken Screw Head on Receiver (Brasslite)

Post by kraynky » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:27 pm

I'm considering trading into a Golden Boy carbine in .17HMR, with one drawback that I've seen (so far). One of the screw heads appears to have split the head, right where the slot is and half the head is missing. Anyone seen this happen before? And is it an easy fix? The rest of the rifle is nice, and it has the large loop I want. I am thinking I could gently tap one side and get the thing turning, and get it out. Are these screws that delicate?

I have a Henry Big Boy Steel (in.41 mag) and I really like it. But I've never owned a Henry rimfire, or Brasslite receiver. So I'm asking those in the know. :D I would like to own this one, if it's not going to be any problem to fix. Thanks All!
8719034_02_henery_golden_boy_17hmr__640.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Broken Screw Head on Receiver (Brasslite)

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:38 pm

kraynky wrote:...One of the screw heads appears to have split the head, right where the slot is and half the head is missing.
...I have a Henry Big Boy Steel (in.41 mag) and I really like it. But I've never owned a Henry rimfire, or Brasslite receiver. So I'm asking those in the know. :D I would like to own this one, if it's not going to be any problem to fix. Thanks All!
Contact Henry by phone and describe the problem with that screw. Their CS is awesome and will advise you about DIY or letting them take care of it. They'll send a shipping label by email. Their turnaround time is quick and they will absolutely fix it for you.
3 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:44 pm

How hard its going to be to fix depends on how tight the screw is screwed in. Normally they are snug and locked in place with blue loctite. If the screw is overly tightened it could be hard to get out. The screw, or at least the head of it, looks to be brass, a softer metal.

I would mask off the receiver with several layers of masking tape to protect the receiver finish from a slipping drill bit and then drill a 1/16 inch divot part way into the screw head and then use an 'easy-out' bit to try and back the screw out.

Otherwise buy it if the price is right and send it to Henry for repair.
kraynky wrote:I'm considering trading into a Golden Boy carbine in .17HMR, with one drawback that I've seen (so far). One of the screw heads appears to have split the head, right where the slot is and half the head is missing. Anyone seen this happen before? And is it an easy fix? The rest of the rifle is nice, and it has the large loop I want. I am thinking I could gently tap one side and get the thing turning, and get it out. Are these screws that delicate?

I have a Henry Big Boy Steel (in.41 mag) and I really like it. But I've never owned a Henry rimfire, or Brasslite receiver. So I'm asking those in the know. :D I would like to own this one, if it's not going to be any problem to fix. Thanks All!

8719034_02_henery_golden_boy_17hmr__640.jpg
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:46 pm

Funny but the exact same thing happened on my H001 except it was that small screw that keeps the buckhorn sight in place. In my case it came out easily. I think I just taped on the screw with a small brass punch

I wouldn't think it would be too hard in your situation, but obviously each case is different.
1 x

kraynky
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by kraynky » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:29 pm

I hope to get a first hand look at it tomorrow, and might learn more. Thinking of trading a Glock 19 for it. Any thoughts? I've got several Marlins, one Henry so far, I'm learning about the Henry's as I can.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:47 pm

Lots of Forum voices here would probably say, "You can't go wrong with the Henry!" Not only is it a quality lever-action rifle, but Henry's customer service is excellent. They sure would take of your rifle, if it's not a DIY scenario.

Best in what you decide. That's part of the fun! :)
1 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:56 pm

I hope to get a first hand look at it tomorrow,
When you do, lay the rifle on its side on a pad and press your thumb on the screwhead and twist to the left - you would be surprised how many screws are not that tight - but because they have a broken or stripped slot the simplest things are sometimes overlooked.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:32 pm

What is the darker area around the rear screw? It looks like the finish is peeling off.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:29 am

kraynky wrote:I hope to get a first hand look at it tomorrow, and might learn more. Thinking of trading a Glock 19 for it. Any thoughts?
Yes. Say goodby to the Glock. I'd trade a Glock for a Henry in a flash and not look back.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ChefDuane
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ChefDuane » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:16 am

Mistered wrote:What is the darker area around the rear screw? It looks like the finish is peeling off.
I noticed that also. What are the black and brown discolored areas around the rear receiver screw?
0 x
Henry Classic H001
Henry AR-7 Survival

USCG '77-'83
NRA/TxLTC

There is no greater protection against evil on the rampage than a loaded firearm in the hands of a free man.