Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2 issues with a new Henry Homesteader (Model H027-H9)

Talk about the Henry center fire carbine here.
Trooper Joe
Tenderfoot
United States of America

2 issues with a new Henry Homesteader (Model H027-H9)

Post by Trooper Joe » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:32 pm

I just sent the following message to Henry. This is my third attempt to talk to someone at Henry about this.

…..”
SAFETY ISSUE

After dry firing the gun (the same as if you had a failure to fire a live round ) and after I applied the safety, I could not retract the charging handle all the way to the rear. It only comes back 3/4”.

However, If you take the safety off (putting the carbine in the fire position) you can then retract the charging handle all the way. I believe that this is a serious design flaw (especially when you are trying to clear the gun after a mis-fire).

PROBLEM WITH THE GLOCK MAG WELL SYSTEM

I have my second Glock mag well (the first one I purchased had a part missing** which I borrowed from my stock Henry mag well. Your customer service department sent me a replacement unit)

With both units, I was unable to let the bolt go forward with a full 10 round (late model) magazine. This also happened with an early model (Gen 3) 15 round magazine but not consistently. I filed the 10 round mag slightly on the left upper area where the hold open device is activated by the mag follower. This helped somewhat but not 100%. It looks like the hold open device is mounted rather loosely in these mag well assemblies.

This hold open device should be made so it will not rub on the left side of the mag body. The only part of the magazine assembly that contacts the bolt hold open device should be the magazine follower. In lieu of this, owners should be made aware that they should check to see if their carbine functions correctly with the Glock mag well installed.

(#32 Pin retaining tube
#86 Pin retaining tube clip (2)

FIRST SHOTS FIRED

This carbine is very accurate. Using 115 grn Norma ball ammo, I got one ragged hole at 25 yards. I am very pleased with this.
“…..

Hopefully Henry will contact me soon.

Trooper Joe
0 x

bikeridertim
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: 2 issues with a new Henry Homesteader (Model H027-H9)

Post by bikeridertim » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:17 pm

I think if it was me, I would be calling and skip anymore emails! Also remember today is Good Friday, and being a Yankee now in NC Good Friday is much more popular in the north.
0 x

Trooper Joe
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Trooper Joe » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:37 pm

Left two messages with no return call (several days apart).

Hopefully I will get a call Monday.

Trooper Joe
0 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:47 pm

Trooper Joe. I've never even seen a Homesteader much less handled one but am scratching my head here. A lot of semi auto's won't allow the safety to be engaged if the firing pin isn't live. AR 15's, my Ruger SR9 and MK1. and 1911's of course. The Smith M&P pistol is the opposite. It allows the safety to be engaged anytime. I have no idea how the Homesteader was set up but is it possible it was designed that way?

I was going to ask you how you liked the sights but a ragged hole group answers that question. :)

I'd like to know what you think of the the trigger pull on your Homesteader?
4 x

Trooper Joe
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Trooper Joe » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:09 am

The trigger pull is great (again, I refer to “one ragged hole’ 👌).

Your comments on the safety are a good reminder for me. At the least, Henry should throughly explain this unique “manual of arms” for applying the safety on this gun.

Thanks again,

Trooper Joe
1 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:28 pm

I am wondering will the Homesteader fire without a magazine?
0 x

Trooper Joe
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Trooper Joe » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:51 pm

I just checked the trigger pull with my Wheeler trigger gauge. It measured 4lbs, 4oz. average.

The Homestead will fire without the magazine.

I guess I can leave this safety engagement issue to a request to Henry to explain this in the owners manual.

“ Mason Leather “ in his above cited review, was also confused about this.

I ordered a magazine block from MAGAZINEBLOCKS LLC MARTINEZ, CA 94553 that reduces the capacity of a 15 round Glock magazine to 5 rounds (for Michigan hunting). I am thinking that this will be great for small game hunting. Will be setting this up in a new, brown, Glock 15 round magazine to save on confusion.

Trooper Joe
0 x

Trooper Joe
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Trooper Joe » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:54 pm

Here is the link for “ Mason Leather “ in his review. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmSy11ML77I
0 x

PBSnooker
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by PBSnooker » Fri May 05, 2023 8:20 pm

I shot a friend's Homesteader today. Nice looking.No problems. Henry magazines. He's waiting on the Glock mag kit and pic rail. Accurate to 50 yards with the peep sights. With a scope it should be a shooter at 100 yards. Anything after that is asking a lot of a 9mm.
1 x

Centaur
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Centaur » Tue May 23, 2023 5:46 pm

Just got home from the range with my new one. Got a couple of jams with el cheapo aluminum case ammo, and it takes an act of congress to load the last round in the 5 shot mag, but other than that, it is an accurate and fun little rifle.
0 x