Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Planning a Gathering In/Around KC in August

Members sometimes like to get together and meet one another in person. This forum topic is for those interested in getting together with other forum members. Remember! The internet is a large place. If you are not comfortable giving out details of your location or other information on the open internet, DON'T.
If you want to get together, use this to meet others who want to.
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Planning a Gathering In/Around KC in August

Post by ESquared » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:11 am

Time to bump this up again, if for no other reason than for confirmations/updates:

No change to timing:
Arrive Wed, 8/14, in time for dinner
Thurs, 8/15: Range Day, Lunch, Possible trip to Missouri Bullet Co (not necessarily in that order), dinner/evening activity TBD
Friday: Range Day #2 (if needed due to weather and/or "just gotta shoot some more!"), departures after lunch.

Our range will be the Mo Dept of Conservation facility in Lake City, MO (right by the ammo plant). Pistol range, rifle (up to 100 yds), trap, skeet and archery. $4 per session (clays and targets included, FYI).

In addition, PT7 may bring some of his stash of 357 ammo for a bit of a "yard sale," as he's moved on from that caliber and has some interesting inventory that needs a new home. More details to follow, but no shipping and no tax, for those interested.

PM me for any more details or questions. Lots of links in the thread above for things to do, places to stay, stuff like that. The more, the merrier!
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:19 am

per old Tennessee Ernie Ford, we'll be there if the good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise ....our only concern is the condition of I-29 .... hopefully the weather will settle down and they soon be able to get it open for traffic
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:41 pm

JEBar wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:19 am
per old Tennessee Ernie Ford, we'll be there if the good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise ....our only concern is the condition of I-29 .... hopefully the weather will settle down and they soon be able to get it open for traffic
It was re-opened for a bit, then close again with more flooding. With this being 2 months off, I'd think the chances are very good they'll have it back up and running by then!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:03 pm

sure hope so ;)
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:21 am

JEBar wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:19 am
Jim,

I crossed the wide Missouri River twice yesterday when I went to the shooting range in KC, Kansas. North of us that over-flowing river, of course, has been the issue with road closures such as I-29.

It was quite a surprise to finally see, after many weeks, some muddy corn fields rather than only large "lakes" in those fields. If the rains are less in the days ahead, the Missouri River should become less wide and over-flowing its banks. So August travel should be okay along the I-29 trail.

Safe travels to you guys this summer.

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:13 am

PT7 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:21 am
If the rains are less in the days ahead, the Missouri River should become less wide and over-flowing its banks. So August travel should be okay along the I-29 trail.

PT7

sure hope that proves to be the case .... this year the flooding in your part of the country and to the north has truly been of historic portions
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:36 pm

bumping back up with some good news .... at least good news for us .. :D .. one of the roads we usually travel is still closed from the March flooding in Missouri and they have no clue when it will reopen .... consequently, we have rescheduled and rerouted to where we now plan to arrive in KC for the gathering a day early .... we now anticipate arriving at the Kansas City East / Oak Grove KOA ===> https://koa.com/campgrounds/kansas-city/ <=== during the mid afternoon on Tuesday, Aug 13th .... I'm really looking forward to having an extra day to visit with folks and to be able to send more rounds down range .... we still have to pull out for St Louis on Friday the 16th
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:40 pm

I don't know that I'd give up on I-29 just yet, but anything is possible! We're always flexible here, so we'll just keep an eye on things. I have a good friend in Omaha who treks to the Ozarks several times each summer, so he's my "eyes on the ground" when it comes to I-29. Will get updates regularly and keep you posted.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:24 pm

29 isn't the issue, its open .... the problem is Nebraska 2 .... we normally take I-29 down to Exit 10 where we get on HWY 2 and to go over to Victorian Acres RV Park .... HWY 2 is still closed where it crosses the Missouri .... with that being the case we decided to drive directly from where we are camped in Estelline to the Kansas City East KOA in Oak Grove .... it will add a couple of hours to our day's drive which most certainly isn't a problem .... in looking at the last schedule :

Arrive Wed, 8/14, in time for dinner
Thurs, 8/15: Range Day, Lunch, Possible trip to Missouri Bullet Co (not necessarily in that order), dinner/evening activity TBD
Friday: Range Day #2 (if needed due to weather and/or "just gotta shoot some more!"), departures after lunch.

us getting there on the 13th might allow me to find the state range and get in a bit of extra shooting .... with the rifle / pistol range still closed where we will be in St Louis after we leave, KC, having some extra shooting time would be really nice 8-)
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:27 pm

Not a surprise that the Henges ranges are still closed. I read that they haven't yet been able to figure out what the problem is with their bullet trap system. Here Lake City has fully re-opened now, and 'tis lookin' good there. Sounds like you have a good plan to grab some extra range time here...you'll enjoy the setup at LC.
0 x

~Пока~