Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Savage 112 Single shots

Discuss any other single shot rifles here
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Savage 112 Single shots

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:30 pm

I have always loved single shot rifles in most any action style. I really like the big heavy Varmint single shot Savages from years gone by and their later models in varmint calibers. I have two 112 single shot 220 Swifts that don't take a back seat to any factory built rifles that come to the shooting range and also some custom built guns. Mine are old enough to not be in the accu-trigger age which I hate that set up. My triggers are lighter pull than the accu-trigger except the Long range models with the trigger pull in the lower ounce levels that they have. Mine are both 1 lb. I have changed a couple features on mine. First thing is to pull the ejector spring out and put it away and put the ejector back in place and put the pin back in to hold it in the bolt so I don't misplace it. Then I make up a new new trigger pull weight spring out of a straight piece cut from a Chrysler 318 throttle return spring. I bend it similar to the factory spring shape but have to alter the bend slightly to give it enough tension to return the trigger fully to the sear because of the lighter wire. These rifles come with the bottom of the action solid with no mag well cut out and are machined for the round to feed straight to the chamber by just laying it in the bottom of the action and pushing the bolt forward. When the bolt is pulled back my empty casing or loaded round which ever it may be will not be ejected out to hit the ground or the concrete at the shooting range or get lost in the grass while shooting varmints.
The rifles
Inside view of the solid bottom receiverImage
Ejector in side the hole with no spring in to push it out

Bolt pulled back fully to the rear the casing stays there until I reach in and pull it out

ImageImage
The factory trigger spring at top and the one made from the Chrysler throttle spring. Lot of difference it the wire size.
2 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Savage 112 Single shots

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:42 pm

No Savage fans on this forum? :( Well I tried to add something to the new single shot forum but I must have picked the wrong brand. :shock: :oops:
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:21 pm

bandit1250, former 112 FVS Savage owner here. 22-250, 26" heavy barrel. Very possibly the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. Sold it when the upland shotgun I wanted was needed. That's one rifle I wish I still had. I don't believe they make those any longer. Enjoy yours and keep!
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:38 pm

Always intended to buy a Savage, at one time or another, because I know what values they are. If I found one of those old single shots, I still would. Nice collection, as always, bandit.
1 x