Introduction to the T/C Contenders & Encore

Discuss any other single shot rifles here
wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Introduction to the T/C Contenders & Encore

Post by wingnut » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:53 am

1 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Introduction to the T/C Contenders & Encore

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:59 am

Nice to see the first post in our new sub forum and especially T/C Contender and Encore related.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:26 am

The shooter who demoed that feisty .45-70 provided a needed reminder to everyone about shooting safety: Important to wear eye protection.
1 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:04 am

Why, thank-you. Was hoping to get out, today, and shoot some Contenders and Encores. Those form the bulk of our gun collection. Started shooting and collecting Contenders back in the early 80s and they have been the core of my shooting, ever since. Everything else I shoot is measured against them.

Here's a mint, as new in the box, 1969 vintage (the Contender was introduced in 1967) with an equally vintage 45Colt/410 barrel with shot tube. One of the very few guns I don't shoot. Just got this one to collect.
2 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:04 am

NCG will have a lot of range reports to post in the new single shot sub forum with her T/C Contenders and Encores when winter finally releases it's grip on her area. Looking forward to what she will post. :)
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:12 pm

I love Contenders and have owned a couple of pistols and a .223 Carbine. As my hands got older and weaker it just got too uncomfortable to operate the actions, so they are all gone. A Contender, even an Easy Open frame, requires a good deal of force. I tried out a Henry Single Shot rifle in a shop and was pleased to find it is super easy to open, so I will get a .327 Federal steel one when they offer it.

The go to page for TC gun discussion is.... https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/36-thomps ... s-tcs.html

They also have a Contender and Encore only classifieds section if you want to sell or trade guns or parts.

For tech info, tune up parts, barrels, custom gunsmithing, etc this is the best place. .... https://www.bellmtcs.com .... with E A Brown coming in second.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Last edited by John E Davies on Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:33 pm

Because these guns are so very customizable. It is important to understand the federal position. BTAF used to say “Once a rifle, always a rifle.” SCOTUS changed that to “once a rifle sold that way by the manufacturer, always a rifle.”

If you add a 16” barrel and stock to a pistol frame, you still legally have a pistol frame and can convert it back to a short barrell and grip. Don’t add a 14” barrel and stock to it or you have a short barreled rifle which requires a tax stamp.

If you buy a new complete TC rifle, such as the G2 .223 carbine I had, you cannot “legally” convert it to a pistol.

The big problem is when you buy a used frame or a complete used gun and you have NO idea if it is a pistol frame or a rifle frame. How it was originally sold is what matters. There are no markings on the frame to indicate its status, just a serial number. Factory records for old serial numbers are not complete due to the long passage of time and a plant fire!

“Nonetheless, if a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length is assembled or otherwise produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle, such a weapon is a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4). Such a weapon would not be a “pistol” because the weapon was not originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile by one hand.”

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/rulin ... s/download

Keep receipts and records and know what you are doing. IMHO I would never buy a used frame, why worry?, Always buy a new PISTOL frame. You can always make a longer gun out of it in the future. BTW I have never ever heard of anybody getting into actual legal trouble over this. But it could happen.....

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:19 pm

On the legality note, I've talked to several BATF agents on the used Contender issue and have always gotten the same answer. As long as you don't turn a Contender into an illegal rifle with a less than 16" barrel, they aren't interested in hassling you. Pinching Contender owners who buy used guns is not a policy with the agency. They're under-staffed as it is. Not telling anyone what to do, here, though. Me, I'll buy used frames till the cows come home and not worry about it.
3 x