Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Early Ruger No. 3 single shot

Discuss any other single shot rifles here
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Early Ruger No. 3 single shot

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:19 pm

Been looking for a nice, clean Ruger No. 3 single shot for many, many years, but they are hard to find now and when you do find one, they are pretty rough. After all, the No. 3 was the budget version of Ruger's much more expensive No. 1 single shot. As a result, a lot of No.3s were used a lot as utility guns, truck guns and so on. Oddly enough, though, No. 3s later became very popular with custom single shot gun makers who used the very simple, but very strong No. 3 action for custom builds. That and the fact that Ruger didn't make a lot of these single shots and prices on No. 3s run very high, now. Picked this one up at a gun show from a seller we know and trust and got it at a very, very reasonable price. Couldn't pass it up.

Mint condition Ruger No. 3, 1974, second year of production, no warning label, 45-70

I have also wanted a No. 3 Ruger because it's one of the lightest and handiest classic falling block single shots ever made. Weight is listed at only 6 pounds. Oh, I would love to have a Quigley Sharps in 45-70, but those run upwards of 12 pounds. NO WAY could I even shoulder one, now. Even a Winchester High Wall 45-70 is pushing 10 to 11 pounds. Just too much for this old granny.

What about recoil? True, the Ruger No. 3 in 45-70 is infamous for recoil when using tier 2 and 3 45-70 loads (and it is rated for tier 3 loads), but this one will be seeing mostly Tier 1 trapdoor loads. I used to shoot those in an even lighter 45-70 Contender carbine, no problem. Just added a leather lace on recoil pad on that Contender carbine and did fine. That same pad is a perfect fit for my No. 3

These earliest vintage Ruger No. 3s were not drilled and tapped for a scope or a peep sight, so no scope on this one. Will probably just go with a Skinner barrel mount peep or maybe even a red dot via the rear sight dovetail.

Can't wait to get out and shoot this one.
5 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Early Ruger No. 3 single shot

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:50 pm

Congratulations on the find! You know I am green with envy... :mrgreen: During our chats, I have often said that the #1 was on my Bucket list... The Varmit in 223 or 556... but I have expanded the list to include 308 now, as I would let go of my Armalite AR10 I scored a few years ago as a HOG gun since we don't have them... and it is set up so SWEET I'm sure someone would want it that does. That would cover the cost of the #1. I keep saying it, but just never pack it up and head to the Gunshows... :)

Will wait for the range report. Be interesting to see if it's a shooter.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Luv the lever » Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:27 pm

Wow!
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:10 pm

Yeah, Wow! Fantastic find on a gorgeous rifle. Enjoy!
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:13 pm

Thanks, folks. Only the second No. 3 I've seen for sale around here in the last dozen years.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:45 am

Congratulations on a great find. Can’t wait for the range report.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:35 am

Love the rifle. Would like one in 223.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:47 am

So would I. By the time Ruger ended production in 1986, Ruger had made the No. 3 in 22 Hornet, 223, 30-40 Krag, 375 Win, 44 Mag and 45-70. All No. 3s are hard to find due to limited production and so on, but the the 223 and 44 mag are the most sought after and the hardest to find. I think a No.3 would be the perfect 44 mag carbine.
2 x