CVA Scout TD vs Henry SS steel?

Discuss any other single shot rifles here
John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

CVA Scout TD vs Henry SS steel?

Post by John E Davies » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:27 am

https://cva.com/product-line/scout/

I was aware of, but never paid any attention to, the CVA guns which are Spanish made (Begarra), but I just stumbled across the Scout takedown model. About the same weight as the Henry steel model, except it is $100 less and comes with a hammer spur and scope rail. But what appeals to me most is the fluted stainless barrel and no tool takedown design. I have always liked TDs, I have a 10/22 TD stainless with the Magpul Backpacker stock. I have lusted after a Marlin 39A Mountie but never owned one. I also like the black stock/ stainless metal combination.

CVA trigger is reportedly good out of the box. (My BBX .44 Mag trigger is nasty.) The Scout shoots well, but I am not so sure about the TD version...(my 10/22 is fun but it is NOT accurate). I really like the easy to open thumb lever on the Henry. How difficult is the CVA under lever? I had to sell my Contenders, even the Easy Open frame was not so easy for me, since I have worsening peripheral neuropathy and it just hurt my fingers too much.

How is CVA customer service?

I don’t hunt, I am just interested in one as a truck gun and short range plinker in .44 Mag. I plan to do some reading and watching videos, but was hoping for some Henry comparisons.

Thanks

John Davies
Spokane WA
Attachments
87A02B25-7DC8-44F9-A9C1-695B0ECBD419.jpeg
87A02B25-7DC8-44F9-A9C1-695B0ECBD419.jpeg (222.62 KiB) Viewed 4854 times
Last edited by John E Davies on Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: CVA Scout TD vs Henry SS steel?

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:02 am

first comparison I've seen between these two .... evaluation appreciated
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:15 am

The CVA's look interesting, but I'd be a lot more interested if they had the quality Walnut stocks of the Henry rifles. I don't use a single shot as an all weather, multi-purpose rifle, that's what my stainless steel, synthetic stocked bolt actions are for ;) . I like traditional configured single shots like Ruger #1, Bro Effect, etc., and the Henry rifles meet that standard, for me. Kind of a nostalgia thing, I guess. Especially now that they've figured out the trigger issue :) .
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:33 am

I looked at those once and did some research on them. CVA’s customer service is not what Henry’s is I know that from there Black Powder side. To me the top lever break action is the only way to go. Just my .02 worth YMMV
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:30 pm

I sure wish a Henry would do this........

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w5zoWuLWWE0

It is reminiscent of the Crashmobile toy car I had when I was a ten year old, nearly six decades back, pieces everywhere, then snap them all back together again.....😬

John Davies
Spokane WA
Last edited by John E Davies on Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:50 pm

Found a video review of a .45/70. at about 4:00 he shows how to break it open, it appears to be very low effort. I have owned three Contenders (one old and two newer “Easy Open”) and they were all much harder than this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4s55Yvt5BDI

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:11 pm

The CVA's I have been around at shops or the range open pretty easy. They didn't shoot as well as the H&R Handi-rifles even though the Bergara barrels are supposed to come on them. I am not much on Spain built guns but they could be better now than before. I would like to find a Handi-rifle in 223 for a behind the seat truck gun.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:12 pm

This guy will convert your .45/70 Scout to a smokeless powder high performance muzzle loader...... just send him the stripped barrel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LgEd8zr4ZAY

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:15 pm

bandit1250 wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:11 pm
The CVA's I have been around at shops or the range open pretty easy. They didn't shoot as well as the H&R Handi-rifles even though the Bergara barrels are supposed to come on them. I am not much on Spain built guns but they could be better now than before. I would like to find a Handi-rifle in 223 for a behind the seat truck gun.
Having never even handled a CVA gun of any type ...... how do they feel compared to a Henry, in general? Do they lock up tight?

I was thinking about a Rossi lever gun until I handled one, it looked and felt cheap and poorly put together. Not much like a Big Boy or Marlin.

Thanks,

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:56 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:15 pm
bandit1250 wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:11 pm
Having never even handled a CVA gun of any type ...... how do they feel compared to a Henry, in general? Do they lock up tight?

I was thinking about a Rossi lever gun until I handled one, it looked and felt cheap and poorly put together. Not much like a Big Boy or Marlin.

Thanks,

John Davies
Spokane WA
I wouldn't even try to compare the CVA to the Henry single shot. The CVA seemed to lock up OK but they feel very cheap to me. I almost bought one in 44 Magnum but had a change of mind and really glad I did.
0 x