Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

125 gr for BBB 357 ???

Discussion about what manufactured ammunition feeds your Henry or other firearms
LeverLuvr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: 125 gr for BBB 357 ???

Post by LeverLuvr » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:48 am

I still haven't tried 125 gr yet but to be honest, It,s been a chore to find an ammo that will shoot reliably because I've had some issues every time I try to do some shooting. first time out was with Magtech 158gr and had issues with extraction of empty shells ( very tight to pull out of chamber after firing). Second time out I was using Winchester Super X and the 6th round left the last 1/4" of shell broke of inside the chamber and ended that day. Before running the Winchesters I was running some Norma 180 gr. It was pretty good accuracy wise but a little finicky feeding. I'm gonna give it one more shot next time out with the same variety of ammo and see what happens. Honestly not feeling to warm and fuzzy about this Henry rifle right now. I will be sending it in for issues if I have anymore problems. Not sure if it's the ammo or the clearances in the gun. I know guns can be finicky about the ammo you feed it, but it's usually accuracy issues, not function. In the last few months I've bought a Walther PPQ, Tikka T3X, and built an AR-15. None of them have had function issues. I've had 2 HBB's and had major problems with both right out of the box. I know customer service is A+. Maybe they should put customer service in charge of quality control. You know, check and fix BEFORE it goes out. Now theres a concept. I've read enough on several forums to see a definite pattern of " Henry's are great rifles but you will need to buy it and then send it back thru customer service before it will run right". They definitely could benefit from some QC improvements. Either customer service is not communicating, or manufacturing and assembly is not listening. I know these rifles can run nicely. My first BB 44 mag had a bad trigger issue right out of the box. Sent it back, fixed it and had it back to me in 6 days. Ran perfect after that and never had another problem with it, so I know it can be done. I love Henry rifles but sometime I feel like a Beta tester.
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:39 pm

Try a new Smith&Wesson or Ruger revolver...same deal got to send them back once or even twice to make it run!
Luckily I have had no issues with any of my Henry rifles from .22 thru .45 I have a .357 BB CCH rifle and it runs really slick with .357 Mag or .38 Special that I load using Starline or other mixed brass.
0 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:00 am

The range testing I have done has been limited but in the short time I have had my BBS back from Henry 125grn bullets do not seem to group as well in my rifle as 158grn bullets. The six different loads I tried 3 were 125grn, 3 were 158grn and the 158grn bullets performed consistently better. My old Ruger Security Six seems to like 125grn bullets the best so I am hoping to find a round they both like. I will try and keep you posted on my load development.

I have a hard time feeling "warm and fuzzy" about my BB also as in the six months I have owned this rifle Henry has had it for over 10 weeks. With the second barrel replacement I finally have a shooter though. I have to agree with you about Henry having to bring up it QC as I could put 7 pages of the owners manual between the stock and the recoil flats of the action.
1 x

PATOKARI
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by PATOKARI » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:18 pm

I've been using Hornady 158gr XTP's until I ran low. Then I bought HORNADY 125gr XTP's in their American Gunner line and shoots better groups at 50yds than the 158gr in my Henry BB steel 357 carbine.
1 x
HENRY! Hold it - Point it - Shoot It ; YOU'LL ALWAYS HAVE ONE FROM THERE ON!
BBS-44M, BBS-357M, SLA-3030